unpopular opinion thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fully wrote: View Post
    This is a great example of what I'm talking about though.

"Basketball star chooses Mormon mission over NBA!" is a great headline but when you read the actual article, it's just a lot of speculation wrapped up to try and create a story out of nothing. Hell, the bishop they interview in the story says that Parker would probably do more good for the mormon church by NOT going on a mission and just becoming a young, positive role model in the NBA.
    Not to mention the amount of coin he'd have to put towards Church endeavors. He goes to the NBA, they can afford to send 25 people in his place.

I don't believe religion will be a factor. Regardless of the religion, they all like having members (is that the right word?) with coin to fund.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
      Good point on March Madness, would be way more fun!

But how bout this idea: I think the more developed these players are, the easier it is to predict their NBA trajectory. So would your idea make tanking even more prevalent? Or would more developed superstars force a team out of the lottery after fewer good picks, making tanking less viable?
      I don't think it would impact tanking in any way. You're getting the same top prospects, just a few years later, so more polish vs potential, but still not at their ceilings. Teams who aren't close to winning will want to get the top pick regardless.

I think it would improve the quality of the bad NBA teams as they have better players (even though they are still worse in comparison to other teams) and would definitely benefit the NCAA. Maybe they could pool some of the extra NCAA revenue to make an injury insurance fund for players. I dunno, just spit-balling here.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
        I don't think it would impact tanking in any way. You're getting the same top prospects, just a few years later, so more polish vs potential, but still not at their ceilings. Teams who aren't close to winning will want to get the top pick regardless.
        But for example, right now, there's a little uncertainty about who in the top4 is really going to be the best nba player at the end of it all. If they all stayed in the league for another year or two, there'd be a more clear pecking order.

So does this mean that teams start intentionally losing on the court to get that one guy that they know all about? Does this make the race to the bottom more intense, since the products are better known?

Or does it stop OKC from getting 3 straight low picks?

I know your answer was neither, but i won't accept it!
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
          But for example, right now, there's a little uncertainty about who in the top4 is really going to be the best nba player at the end of it all. If they all stayed in the league for another year or two, there'd be a more clear pecking order.

So does this mean that teams start intentionally losing on the court to get that one guy that they know all about? Does this make the race to the bottom more intense, since the products are better known?

Or does it stop OKC from getting 3 straight low picks?

I know your answer was neither, but i won't accept it!
          I don't think it would change.

Right now, teams are tanking for a change at Wiggins/Exum/Embiid/Parker and have been before these guys even played a single college game. Let's institute a 2 year limit, so instead teams are fighting over (assuming my math is right):
          (A more mature) Kyrie Irving
          Enes Kantner
          Tristan Thompson
          Brandon Knight
          Tobias Harris
          Cory Joseph
          Dion Waiters
          Harrison Barnes
          Terrence Ross
          Jeremy Lamb
          Jared Sullinger
          PJ3

Some of those guys drift to the bottom as their potential doesn't pan out as well (Lamb, Joseph, Waiters) while others improve each year and climb to the top (Ross, Harris). It's a different dynamic but the reward remains the same. That said, you could climb a reduced risk in picking (more developed players should equal fewer busts) and that could increase the willingness to tank but I don't really think so.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
            The raptors are stuck in mediocrity. Not good enough to get past the 1st or 2nd round. Not terrible enough to draft someone who can take us to the next level needed to win a championship. Having to throw money at free agents like kyle lowry next year, there isn't money left to bring a star. All this homerism from our media and raptors republic feels like giving the retarded kid at school a pat on the head for not screwing up. We didn't sit here twiddling our thumbs since '06 to end up in the same fucking place in 7 years. rinse and repeat. It is further cementing us as the atlanta hawks of this generation and makes me want to throw the fuck up. Masai is the flavor of the month until the fanbase realizes how tough a position he has put himself in.

go.
            I love the way this thread degenerated into a logical discussion in which thoughtful posts are vying with each other for dominance.

Hard to say what the intent of the thread was but thanks to akashsingh for providing an opportunity for discussion.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
              I love the way this thread degenerated into a logical discussion in which thoughtful posts are vying with each other for dominance.

Hard to say what the intent of the thread was but thanks to akashsingh for providing an opportunity for discussion.
              Open forum? lol

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                I'm glad you feel that way. You are wrong.
                I'm curious. Why is he wrong?

I feel the same way. I don't see this team getting past teams in future playoffs. The East is incredible weak this season, what happens in 2 years when Philly is rolling out MCW-Wiggins-Noel...will we be able to beat them?

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

I feel the same way. I don't see this team getting past teams in future playoffs. The East is incredible weak this season, what happens in 2 years when Philly is rolling out MCW-Wiggins-Noel...will we be able to beat them?
                  For one, MCW can't shoot and is older than either Ross or JV. For two, Noel hasn't played a single NBA minute and has an injury history, for three, Wiggins is, of course, a question mark.
                  "Bruno?
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I'm curious. Why is he wrong?...I don't see this team getting past teams in future playoffs....
                    Why would this team stay the same? Do you not anticipate Masai making additional moves over the next two years? Or do you think that the Raptors future draft picks will not make any difference? Or do you think that the team now, after playing together for some 20+ games, and with a handful of players 24 or less, will not improve?

I would say all of those factors could be reasons why he is wrong.

Comment

salmon wrote: View Post
                      I "liked" Fully's post post because it's so true. It's the same go-around in the media every year, but it's in the best interests of these guys to not speak of their plans at this point.

Having said that, there could be an interesting dynamic this year with Wiggins, Embiid. I remember reading that those two struck up a bond while playing at these various HS All Star friendlies. It didn't surprise me that they both signed at Kansas.

Now, here they are in Kansas, yet despite their 1/2 ranking in many mock drafts, their team isn't doing all that great, while Wiggins has been underwhelming in production, and they both struggle sometimes when opposed by more experienced quality college players. If either one, or both, feel they need more time development before facing the rigors of the NBA, and the team doesn't do so well at March Madness, could they decide together that staying another year and chasing a better chance at a championship, suits them?
                      Which could have a huge impact on this year's draft.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                        Damnit MATT, why do you have to be logical in this thread. Now I gotta respond logically. So here goes:

For all the negative points brought forward by this and other related threads, what does a franchise do when they've surrendered assets to be bad for the lottery and then the top players decide to come back for another year in college? Then what?

You never know how things will play out. For many of the teams that hope to use this year's draft as an important part of their rebuilding it could be a disaster leading to years of futility.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                          You never know how things will play out. For many of the teams that hope to use this year's draft as an important part of their rebuilding it could be a disaster leading to years of futility.
                          They'll probably just wind up tanking next year though...
                          "Bruno?
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Why is he wrong? First, we're not stuck in mediocrity. We were stuck under the BC/Peddie regime. The new management group has already shown the ability to make the difficult decisions the past group refused to make. The next points he made are re: this years draft position and not having the cap space to bring in a star. This lack of immediate gratification seems to be true, but Masai is playing the hand he's been dealt about as well as he can. People seem to think a team can tank, draft a potential star and then suddenly become a mecca for high level free agents. I don't. Having cap space and being able to use it efficiently don't go hand-in-hand. See Boozer, Carlos.
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

With regards to players staying back for another year or two in the NCAA.. I completely agree as I think it creates a better product in the NBA. The only way to change that (beside modifying the CBA) is to change the NCAA.

The NCAA is so evil man.. the schools make so much money on the backs of these young kids. Pay the talent! Not just with scholarships but with actual incomes. Once that happens the kids will stay, the talent pool then gets better, and the NBA is better for it. More Tim Duncan's, less Kwame Brown's (in theory).

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                                With regards to players staying back for another year or two in the NCAA.. I completely agree as I think it creates a better product in the NBA. The only way to change that (beside modifying the CBA) is to change the NCAA.

The NCAA is so evil man.. the schools make so much money on the backs of these young kids. Pay the talent! Not just with scholarships but with actual incomes. Once that happens the kids will stay, the talent pool then gets better, and the NBA is better for it. More Tim Duncan's, less Kwame Brown's (in theory).
                                Agree. For the higher end players (the ones who would be drafted), the NCAA is indentured servitude.
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X