Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Before the next, "We gotta get *insert near max salary here*" thread, ask yourself:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before the next, "We gotta get *insert near max salary here*" thread, ask yourself:

Before the next, "We gotta get *insert near max salary here*" thread, ask yourself: What would I be willing to sacrifice from this current team to get *insert player*?

The Raptors, like every other NBA team, operate under a Collective Bargaining Agreement which limits or restricts how players can be added to the roster due to salary as well as retaining current players who may or may not be up for contract renewal.

Here is current Raptor payroll commitments: http://www.basketballinsiders.com/to...s-team-salary/

Notice Raptors have $39M in guaranteed money. This money does not mean the players are on the roster. $39M means no: Lowry, Amir, Hansbrough, Salmons, Daye, Buycks, Stone, Vasquez, or Patterson. This leaves the Raptors with a roster of 6 players: DeRozan, Ross, Novak, JV, Hayes, and Fields.

Assuming you keep Amir and Hansbrough that takes you to $43.3M.
    Then what about Vasquez or Patterson? Maybe you're at $50M now?
    What about the first round draft pick salary cap hold? $51.3M.
    Then there is the elephant in the room - Lowry..... *poof* no more cap space.

So what are you willing to sacrifice from this current team to get a $10+M per year player?
    ..... core guys?
    ..... depth?
    ..... draft picks?
    ..... any combination of the above?

But what about sign and trades? Good point. If the Raptors can sign and trade for *insert guy here* then, yeah, they can keep their Bird Rights and ability to resign Lowry, Vasquez, and Patterson, keep 1st round pick, pick up options on Amir/Hansbrough. However, what are the Raptors going to trade? Ujiri and Leiweke have made it clear no young guys or picks are available. Is Detroit going to take Fields and Hayes for Monroe? What about Cleveland with Deng?

I think it is a near certainty, barring some unforeseen miracle where Ujiri unloads Hayes, Fields, and Novak for expirings at the deadline, that the Raptors are not going to be *insert player name* -type free agent wooers. If you disagree you need to ask yourself what would you be willing to give up to make that happen? Would it make the Raptors a better team? Would signing Deng or Monroe make a huge difference if Lowry is gone?

Patience is crucial right now for the Raptors if the goal is to keep moving along with the current core. The opportunity for a big free agent acquisition along the lines of *insert player name here* will only present itself next summer (2015) with this current core remaining in tact.

Things can always change (especially with the trade deadline looming) but the calls for signing bigger name players right now for near max money is premature and destined to lead the Raptors right back down the path they just spent the previous 7 years traveling down, in my opinion.

Thanks Matt I was tired seeing those threads all day. I thought somebody needed to speak up on that issue that I realized a while ago where raptors don't have cap room, and you've done the right thing by starting this thread. Greatest point u mentioned is that raptors need to observe PATIENCE.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well said.

Depth guys should the focus (or trades).

We need to think less about the Luol Deng's of the world and more about guys like Dante Cunningham. Vet depth move on the cheap.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Patience is crucial right now for the Raptors if the goal is to keep moving along with the current core. The opportunity for a big free agent acquisition along the lines of *insert player name here* will only present itself next summer (2015) with this current core remaining in tact.
        Patient is always nice but the questions are :

1) Who are the Core players that you want to "keep moving along with" ?

2) How talented are those "Core" players and where will they be by summer of 2015?

Lets face it with the way we are going forward, which is being stuck in the middle with this current core", our 2014 and 2015 draft picks will be late first rounds so historically we are not going to get significant talent from the draft ...

So What do we have right now that we think by sticking to them and being "patient" with them for next 2 years, we can simply add one 10+ player to them and start to compete for real ??

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post

2) How talented are those "Core" players and where will they be by summer of 2015?

Lets face it with the way we are going forward, which is being stuck in the middle with this current core", our 2014 and 2015 draft picks will be late first rounds so historically we are not going to get significant talent from the draft ...

So What do we have right now that we think by sticking to them and being "patient" with them for next 2 years, we can simply add one 10+ player to them and start to compete for real ??
          You've missed the point of the thread and have made an incorrect assumption that I believe this team can contend in 2 seasons with one 10+M player added.

This is not another, "How do you build?" thread.

It is a reality check to those posting about having Monroe or Deng or Bledsoe or whoever playing with this current roster including Lowry, Vasquez, PP, and Salmons next season. It is not possible barring extortion on the part of Raptor management.

Comment

You've missed the point of the thread and have made an incorrect assumption that I believe this team can contend in 2 seasons with one 10+M player added.

This is not another, "How do you build?" thread.

It is a reality check to those posting about having Monroe or Deng or Bledsoe or whoever playing with this current roster including Lowry, Vasquez, PP, and Salmons next season. It is not possible barring extortion on the part of Raptor management.
            I did not make any assumptions but simply put forward the question that what does it mean to be patient with this team ...
            Is this team even worth being patient with for next 2 years ??

I think these are questions that need to be addressed before we decide to just sit around and wait for 2 more years and just wait and see how DD, Ross, Big Val , Amir and our number 20th guy from draft his year will do !!

"It is not possible barring extortion on the part of Raptor management."

There are always tough decisions that need to be made by guys making millions of dollars peers year ( MU). Just sitting around while we don't have any real talent ( again, question about talent that we have) should never be an option just because the other options require some drastic changes or some smart moves.

Comment

I did not make any assumptions but simply put forward the question that what does it mean to be patient with this team ...
              Is this team even worth being patient with for next 2 years ??

I think these are questions that need to be addressed before we decide to just sit around and wait for 2 more years and just wait and see how DD, Ross, Big Val , Amir and our number 20th guy from draft his year will do !!

"It is not possible barring extortion on the part of Raptor management."

There are always tough decisions that need to be made by guys making millions of dollars peers year ( MU). Just sitting around while we don't have any real talent ( again, question about talent that we have) should never be an option just because the other options require some drastic changes or some smart moves.
              You should start a thread.

You raise good points.

But, again, none of them are relevant in this thread.

Comment

So what are you willing to sacrifice from this current team to get a $10+M per year player?
                ..... core guys?
                ..... depth?
                ..... draft picks?
                ..... any combination of the above?

the calls for signing bigger name players right now for near max money is premature and destined to lead the Raptors right back down the path they just spent the previous 7 years traveling down, in my opinion.
                I'm willing to give up DeMar, Hansborough, Novak, Hayes, Salmons, Vasquez, this year's pick only. Although no one is untouchable for the right price. Any combination of these people needed to either:

1) get a star who is still on his rookie contract. This ensures that we will at least be able to retain them through RFA and have some sustainability.

2) get high into this draft. **if we can grab Embiid, Valancuinas becomes available if needed to get it done**

I agree that at this juncture, we need to sit and wait until the draft and/or offseason. I think our core is really flawed as it is and we are quite a few (~4) pieces away from being a legit team in a legit conference. The best way to do that in my opinion is through the draft, that way we have a rookie scale contracts as well as restricted rights so we can control our future. This draft I would really like to see ourselves trade up into the lottery, preferably for Embiid.

*I think Lowry is worth overspending to keep as long as it is a descaling contract. This ensures that the young draftees are brought into an environment that teaches them how to win*

Comment

Ross, Salmons +pick for Deng... these things are not inconceivable. we have a GM who is kind of crafty and MLSE willing to SPEND...I say we spend
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I understand our contract situation, I've not yet mastered the cba but its something i peruse from time to time. Tanking is out of the picture so let's spend some money for the right guys and make some god damn noise,
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                      I understand our contract situation, I've not yet mastered the cba but its something i peruse from time to time. Tanking is out of the picture so let's spend some money for the right guys and make some god damn noise,
                      There are more options than tank and spend like drunken Colangelos.

The Raptors are still in asset accumulation and development mode.

You're trying to jump the gun and trade away Stephenson and Plumlee to get a David West this year instead of waiting for Stephenson to develop and trading Plumlee for Scola whole getting your David West next year.

Giving away assets in free agency is counter productive when your assets are limited and without duplication.

Patience.
                      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Feb 9, 2014, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Ross, Salmons +pick for Deng... these things are not inconceivable. we have a GM who is kind of crafty and MLSE willing to SPEND...I say we spend
                        If you truly want to spend you do it with extensions and Bird Rights, not in free agency.

Comment

If you're going to dump assets like Ross and future draft picks for a "better" small forward, at least get one that can shoot the three, please.
                          Last edited by BigCamB; Sun Feb 9, 2014, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Hence such a strong pro-tank movement at the start of the season. The anti-tankers got what they wanted and now we are all scratching our heads of how to move forward.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

That trade would make me cry. No thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X