Everything VC: the man, the legacy, the possible return in '14-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thead wrote: View Post
    I can't be the only person that feels like Carter has been rammed down our throats by every outlet since February
    He absolutely has. But that doesn't mean they're wrong.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Definitely, if he agrees to sign on a vet minimum, then by all means bring VC back!

I haven't been fazed by all the attempts by the media to make Raptors fans forgive Vince, but even then, he can provide our team with so much. Honestly, I would take a 38 year old VC over a 34 year old Salmons.

If Casey gives Fields bench minutes next season, VC would have less pressure to perform. All he would have to do is grace the court for ~20 minutes a game, bringing his 3 point range and grit. Especially with Derozan and JV, having Vince as another legitimate 3 point range can help stretch the floor tremendously.
      I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
      -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

mailman wrote: View Post
        I'm on the fence about how I feel about Salmons' game, but I think he'd be more reliable than an older Vince. The Vince nostalgia is one thing, but it'll quickly fade once the old man injury bugs start up (see every old allstar right before being forced to retire).
        Retire his number if you want him to go out on a positive note. But please don't make us watch a 39 yr old Vince in a Raptors uniform. We'll be paying him to sit on the trainer's table and it'll ruin his relationship with Toronto even more (Luckily we were spared the Steve Nash retirement contract-something a lot of people didn't think would be so bad a few yrs ago)
        Vince has played every game this season. He's actually been very durable since leaving the raptors...

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
          congrats we have all been brain washed by a targetted media campaign that started just before the Mavs visited...when journalists started telling us to forgive Carter etc...then Grange did his sportsnet special on him...and Masai dropped crumbs... I think at this point its practically guaranteed that he is coming back on a three year deal that looks a lot like 2.5 m 2.5m player option...2.5m player option, so he can retire whenever he decides.

I was one of the happy brainwashed and thought it was absolutely inevitable too, then this happened last wk:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...tter-next-year
          http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2014/3/...averick-resign

Comment

Couldn't care less about Carter at this point. The question is, can he help the team win more games and I think the answer is "no". I'd much rather gave the roster spot to a young player with potential - ala Ujiri

Comment

vino wrote: View Post
              Couldn't care less about Carter at this point. The question is, can he help the team win more games and I think the answer is "no". I'd much rather gave the roster spot to a young player with potential - ala Ujiri
              You can definitely give the roster spot to a young player.

But say you don't? As a FA signing, I think he can help the team win more games than, say, John Salmons has this year. If you don't think so, I'm not sure how objective you're being. There are really few good bench options available this year. As I said somewhere up higher in this thread...there are some starters (especially if certain guys opt out), and then a lot of limited players who can do maybe half the things Carter does.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                Isn't Paul Pierce a free agent this year. I'd take him over Carter at this point in their careers, plus he's a better leader and has a ring to speak of experience.
                PP isn't going to sign in Toronto, lol.

He'll either retire, stay with the Nets, or go back to Boston. Though, I think that depends on KG and what-not.

YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
                Definitely, if he agrees to sign on a vet minimum, then by all means bring VC back!

I haven't been fazed by all the attempts by the media to make Raptors fans forgive Vince, but even then, he can provide our team with so much. Honestly, I would take a 38 year old VC over a 34 year old Salmons.

If Casey gives Fields bench minutes next season, VC would have less pressure to perform. All he would have to do is grace the court for ~20 minutes a game, bringing his 3 point range and grit. Especially with Derozan and JV, having Vince as another legitimate 3 point range can help stretch the floor tremendously.
                Agreed. VC with 20~ minutes a game, would be great. Essentially, just replace Salmons role with VC. I definitely think we'd be much better off.

Raps76 wrote: View Post
                I was one of the happy brainwashed and thought it was absolutely inevitable too, then this happened last wk:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...tter-next-year
                http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2014/3/...averick-resign
                What's VC supposed to say, open declare that he doesn't want to sign with the Mavs? It's just being "correct".

vino wrote: View Post
                What "Young" player with potential? Yes, of course, young player with potential would be better, but whom? What young player, is up and coming, can put up similar numbers, for the same amount of money?

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                You can definitely give the roster spot to a young player.

But say you don't? As a FA signing, I think he can help the team win more games than, say, John Salmons has this year. If you don't think so, I'm not sure how objective you're being. There are really few good bench options available this year. As I said somewhere up higher in this thread...there are some starters (especially if certain guys opt out), and then a lot of limited players who can do maybe half the things Carter does.
                Don't think he's being too objective. There aren't many players in the NBA left that can do what Carter can still do at this age. He's a very talented/good player even at 38, I don't see why people are so against him coming back. Yes, the past is the past, but shit, if he's willing to take less money, and he can still contribute, why the hell not?

Comment

The only thing that should determine whether he comes here or not is his talent.

His "Horrible legacy" or "Bad-taste-in-the-mouth return" does not matter.

A "Homecoming" or whatever does not matter.

If he is able to help us win more games with him than we would be able to without him, bring him in.

If he is not able, don't.

Don't be biased about Carter, from any perspective.
                  The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

I see this is as a major DISTRACTION and developing a winning team is all about focus and alignment to the common goal. Even if Vince is the model citizen, there will be endless media articles, interviews, flashback clips, etc.., etc..., about the mediocre-old-days. That is a classic, zero-value-add DISTRACTION.

Media will be interviewing DD about the effect of VC on him and how VC is helping the young guys, blah, blah, blah.... and then DD will have to bite his tongue and say some BS about how he was VC fan growing up and how VC is doing this and that crap to help the team....

Players have more than enough distractions. To proactively introduce another distraction into the mix would be very irresponsible by TL and MU, if you ask me. This is already a disproportionate amount of distraction and this hasn't even happened yet, FFS. I mean, seriously, we are talking about the BACKUP WING position, folks.

If it's all about getting a veteran backup wing, who will contribute to winning & culture, then why not get a veteran Euro guy, like we did with Anthony Parker, or the Suns with PJ Tucker? Or even a D-leaguer like J. Moon. And there's always some retread wing player available like Gerald Green, Dorrell Wright, etc... that exceeds expectations.

Comment

Vet Euro....

Hedo Turkoglu?
                      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                        I see this is as a major DISTRACTION and developing a winning team is all about focus and alignment to the common goal. Even if Vince is the model citizen, there will be endless media articles, interviews, flashback clips, etc.., etc..., about the mediocre-old-days. That is a classic, zero-value-add DISTRACTION.

Media will be interviewing DD about the effect of VC on him and how VC is helping the young guys, blah, blah, blah.... and then DD will have to bite his tongue and say some BS about how he was VC fan growing up and how VC is doing this and that crap to help the team....

Players have more than enough distractions. To proactively introduce another distraction into the mix would be very irresponsible by TL and MU, if you ask me. This is already a disproportionate amount of distraction and this hasn't even happened yet, FFS. I mean, seriously, we are talking about the BACKUP WING position, folks.

If it's all about getting a veteran backup wing, who will contribute to winning & culture, then why not get a veteran Euro guy, like we did with Anthony Parker, or the Suns with PJ Tucker? Or even a D-leaguer like J. Moon. And there's always some retread wing player available like Gerald Green, Dorrell Wright, etc... that exceeds expectations.
                        I really don't think it'll be that much of a distraction. It'll be a story the media overkills to start the season and will die fast.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          I really don't think it'll be that much of a distraction. It'll be a story the media overkills to start the season and will die fast.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                          But, it WILL be a distraction - no denying that. And any distraction is too much. Especially, when it can be completely avoided in the first place.

I mean, are you telling me that the reigning Executive of the Year can't find any other veteran backup wing player? Carter is 39 years old, man. Come on... this whole idea is mind numbing. And I'm a huge Carter fan who harbors no ill feelings about the 'way' he left.

It's all about the nostalgia, which is.... wait for it.....

DISTRACTION.

Comment

But, it WILL be a distraction - no denying that. And any distraction is too much. Especially, when it can be completely avoided in the first place.

I mean, are you telling me that the reigning Executive of the Year can't find any other veteran backup wing player? Carter is 39 years old, man. Come on... this whole idea is mind numbing. And I'm a huge Carter fan who harbors no ill feelings about the 'way' he left.

DISTRACTION.
                            His use is obvious. He would be a better version of John Salmons who can hit the 3 very consistently and is quick enough to play defence. Its not all about nostalgia when he will objectively fill the role of veteran back-up wing better than any of our veteran back-up wings.
                            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

DISTRACTION.
                              It won't be a serious distraction at all, and I'd definitely argue that it may have absolutely no impact whatsoever on what the team does on the court, and in practice.

*And first people were saying how he's 38...now he's 39?

He's 37. He wont' be 38 until midway through next year. That's still old, but how he's suddenly become 2 years older in this thread makes no sense.

Comment

...If it's all about getting a veteran backup wing, who will contribute to winning & culture, then why not get a veteran Euro guy, like we did with Anthony Parker, or the Suns with PJ Tucker? Or even a D-leaguer like J. Moon. And there's always some retread wing player available like Gerald Green, Dorrell Wright, etc... that exceeds expectations.
                                There are five starters on each team...30 teams means 150 starters in this league. At least one media outlet has ranked Carter, THIS year as being the 86th best player in the league. That means better than 64 starters. How many second unit guys can you say that about? Anyone who doesn't think that will immediately improve the Raps is smoking something. Keep the Raps core, plus PPat, one of GV or De Colo plus Carter and the team is better than this years team.

Comment

Working...
                                X