Everything VC: the man, the legacy, the possible return in '14-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puffer wrote: View Post
    There are five starters on each team...30 teams means 150 starters in this league. At least one media outlet has ranked Carter, THIS year as being the 86th best player in the league. That means better than 64 starters. How many second unit guys can you say that about? Anyone who doesn't think that will immediately improve the Raps is smoking something. Keep the Raps core, plus PPat, one of GV or De Colo plus Carter and the team is better than this years team.
    The new ESPN metric also ranks Carter crazy high, like top 50 high.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Carter is still a good player and his skillset could fit in quite nicely.. but my concern is that many fans won't forgive or forget that easily.. so it's still a risk. Fans boo when they don't get free pizza. They still boo Carter 10 years after the fact.

How awkward would it be for the home team getting booed when Carter gets subbed in? Why should MU and TL take that chance?

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        Carter is still a good player and his skillset could fit in quite nicely.. but my concern is that many fans won't forgive or forget that easily.. so it's still a risk. Fans boo when they don't get free pizza. They still boo Carter 10 years after the fact.

How awkward would it be for the home team getting booed when Carter gets subbed in? Why should MU and TL take that chance?
        With the way Carter's been playing the last few yrs the boos would turn to cheers pretty quickly. You'd have to be in your 30's minimum to even have truly been snakebit by Carter and I think even the last guard of the haters comes around when the team is winning and Vince is producing..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Comment

Raps76 wrote: View Post
          With the way Carter's been playing the last few yrs the boos would turn to cheers pretty quickly. You'd have to be in your 30's minimum to even have truly been snakebit by Carter and I think even the last guard of the haters comes around when the team is winning and Vince is producing..

You might be right.. but you are also putting a lot of faith in a fan base that boos if they don't get free pizza.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            You might be right.. but you are also putting a lot of faith in a fan base that boos if they don't get free pizza.
            Lol true.

Comment

Honestly, all it would take to stop the boos, would be some warm & fuzzy soundbites once Carter signs.

"I always loved Toronto"

"This is my 2nd home"

"I'll never forget the great times"

"I'm honoured to be back"

Every media outlet will run with it, and all will be forgotten....especially if we continue winning, like you said.

Comment

A lot of that has to do with the fact that Rick Carlisle is a coach who won't put up with crap. Casey, on the other hand, seems to let his veterans get away with anything (exhibit A: Rudy Gay, exhibit B: Salmons). I just see the potential for Carter to bask in the glory of all the nostalgic adulation (again: Distraction) and then sink back to the old ways.

Don't be fooled by Carter's recent, so-called improvement. Coaches like Carlisle seem to squeeze the last bit of effort and discipliine out of players that need that kick-in-the-butt to perform their best. And that's also part of the point. A veteran player is supposed to be setting an example for the younger players - that your motivation should come from within - not from the coach. Carter has never been that self-motivated type of individual. That's not the type of character to bring in.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Honestly, all it would take to stop the boos, would be some warm & fuzzy soundbites once Carter signs.

"I always loved Toronto"

"This is my 2nd home"

"I'll never forget the great times"

"I'm honoured to be back"

Every media outlet will run with it, and all will be forgotten....especially if we continue winning, like you said.
                  "My mom's passport expired"

"You only graduate once"

I kid, I kid...

Comment

Michelle Carter has said her and her son will be returning to Toronto. She will be available for interviews this offseason.

Comment

• PJ Tucker, Marvin Williams, Deng, Ariza (probably going back out west), I would probably choose as my Salmons replacement over Carter if the money and term was right. We don't have a Juwan Howard or a Hakeem Olajuwon (you probably forgot he signed with us in his last season) slot on this team next year. 37/38 is still 37/38 I don't care if you are Ray Allen or Kevin Garnett, this team doesnt have that luxury to have players that are that late in their career.

Honestly, I believe what we do with our first wing off the bench is our most important off-season decision after signing Lowry.
                      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                        PJ Tucker, Marvin Williams, Deng, Ariza (probably going back out west), I would probably choose as my Salmons replacement over Carter if the money and term was right. We don't have a Juwan Howard or a Hakeem Olajuwon (you probably forgot he signed with us in his last season) slot on this team next year. 37/38 is still 37/38 I don't care if you are Ray Allen or Kevin Garnett, this team doesnt have that luxury to have players that are that late in their career.

Honestly, I believe what we do with our first wing off the bench is our most important off-season decision after signing Lowry.
                        Those guys are ideal for us because they can handle the bigger SF in this league
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Only way to get Deng Ariza etc is to dump Fields and Novak.We're paying for a SF we just aren't using him.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                            Only way to get Deng Ariza etc is to dump Fields and Novak.We're paying for a SF we just aren't using him.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                            Deng looks broken down and Ariza is lazy. Fields is an expiring so he'll probably be around til the trade deadline, Novak is locked in on an unfavorable contract but maybe some team might be desperate enough perimeter help.

I think Vince is the play along with a backup center and then you can package Fields and/or Hayes at the deadline if necessary for something.

Comment

• I am really not into bringing back carter just to bring him back and go through all this forgiveness bull crap that MLSE is trying to force down our throats ... he quit on the team and he wanted out and that's on him even though the franchise was crap as well your still responsible for your own actions etc etc etc

but on a side note he would be a good redemption story line if he was a major part of helping us win a championship

Comment

• Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
                                I am really not into bringing back carter just to bring him back and go through all this forgiveness bull crap that MLSE is trying to force down our throats ...
                                If MLSE brings him back I will swallow my words because he is still a top 100 player in the league, which would automatically make him The Raptors 4th best player...maybe 3rd best. And if he was brought off the bench, as he is in Dallas, what a boost to the bench. I caught the end of a Dallas game a couple of nights ago and they were down by 1 with 1:45 to go in the fourth, and Carter was on the floor. He got 2 rebounds and scored a basket during that time. If he is good enough for be on the floor for closing time for Dallas in a tight game, he's good enough to come off the Raptors bench. He got 16 points, 2 rebounds and an assist in 25 minutes. Still playing 25 minutes a game at his age. I would take him over Salmons in a second.

Comment

Working...
                                X