Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Casey pull the reins in on Derozan isolation's down the stretch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I agree that players learn from in-game experience (other than young players like Valanciunas and Ross, apparently), but DeRozan and company should be learning how to execute effective team-oriented end-game plays in the clutch, not this ISO crap.
    Haha nicely said.

Actually being able to execute team sets late is one of our biggest problems. We struggle as the game gets tight to run our offense because our sets pretty much just consist of pin down screens, which are useful, but we need a little more ball movement in our sets and those types of plays don't really do that.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      Haha nicely said.

Actually being able to execute team sets late is one of our biggest problems. We struggle as the game gets tight to run our offense because our sets pretty much just consist of pin down screens, which are useful, but we need a little more ball movement in our sets and those types of plays don't really do that.
      How nice would it be to have an established, consistent low-post threat to run plays through, especially late in games and/or during critical moments?

I think that has to be a top offseason priority for this team. Johnson, Patterson and Hansborough are all effective backups, but I personally feel an upgrade at the starting PF position would immensely help this team. It would also help the perimeter guys like Lowry, DeRozan and Ross, by preventing defenses from hedging against them and ideally from requiring occasional double-teams to be thrown down low.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        How nice would it be to have an established, consistent low-post threat to run plays through, especially late in games and/or during critical moments?

I think that has to be a top offseason priority for this team. Johnson, Patterson and Hansborough are all effective backups, but I personally feel an upgrade at the starting PF position would immensely help this team. It would also help the perimeter guys like Lowry, DeRozan and Ross, by preventing defenses from hedging against them and ideally from requiring occasional double-teams to be thrown down low.
        I agree. As much as I want Val to turn into that low post scorer I really don't see it happening at this point. I think it would be best if we can turn him into an anchor ala Hibbert, who has the ability to score but it isn't his focus. Having that low post threat gives the ability to suck the D will help spread the floor so much for Lowry and Ross for the three, and allow us to swing the ball more effectively, going inside/out.

Hansborough, Amir and Pattman are just that, backups/energy guys. I think Pattman has earned his spot on this team for the future as the backup PF; plays hard and is a great way to provide a different look offensively if we have that low post PF. It then comes down to Amir and Hansborough, in which I think I like Amir more, due to his D and better size to guard the C than Tyler, Amir is also a fan favorite and has been a great community guy. MU has a ton of decisions to make this offseason.

Honestly if we have a chance at grabbing any player in the draft who already has a post game (thinking Vonleh here) it would massively help our team going forward in terms of fit. And we need more three point shooting to compliment that post presence.

Comment

Working...
        X