Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Casey pull the reins in on Derozan isolation's down the stretch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Casey pull the reins in on Derozan isolation's down the stretch?

I agree with the old adage you want the ball in the hands of your best player down the stretch for the win or tie but honestly I think Lowry's our best player lol. All kidding aside I love Derozan but I've seen him botch the pressure shots so many times that it's becoming clockwork now. Do you guys think Casey should create a few alternative plays instead of going to the well and coming up empty so many times? I thought once we got rid of Rudy we'd see less of the late game iso's, don't get me wrong I love Demar throughout the game but it seems like once the big moment comes he just can't pull the trigger. Honestly I would have no problem if he was creating space, getting looks, and then missing but it seems to me like he can't even get to that point because he fumbles and stumbles with the ball half the time in those nitty gritty clutch possessions. Am I off here guys?
    Last edited by Raps76; Thu Feb 20, 2014, 11:22 AM.

First of all: Lowry should always have the ball at the end of games

Second of all: it wasn't THAT bad of a team. When the D sucked in he should've kicked it out. That's on Demar.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

By team I mean play.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I don't think Demar should never shoot the ball in the clutch - he has hit big shots before - but it shouldn't be left up to him to create off the bounce against a solid defender.

Why not hit him off a screen? There was over ten seconds on the clock, enough time to get a bit of motion before the shot. Was his game-winner against Orlando a straight isolation? Nope. Movement leading to a quick two dribbles and a shot.

Both him and Lowry can be viable options when we need a bucket, just need to be used the right way.

I would have gone with Lowry tonight though. Jimmy Butler is a fantastic defender. Why go at him when Lowry had the better matchup?

Comment

to add more to it.. we are a playoff team this year whether we deserve it or by default.. and those games almost always come down to the last min and we need someone to create shots for themselves down the stretch when the game is on the line... Whether Derozan is going to be that player or not is not a concern at this point.. i hope he does but we need someone else NOW! and we have 15 hours left for it... i hope we dont salvage our playoff berth cuz Demar is still "learning" to be clutch.

Comment

Lol who do you think is saying DD should iso at the end of games? It's not like Casey's choosing a play and DD's going nah, I got this... I doubt he'll stop calling for DD iso's.

I agree he should though. So many better plays. be creative.
            @Boymusic66

Comment

I think Demar needs to use either a step back jumper (Nowitzki) or a fade away jumper (Kobe). He's so quick and much more explosive than those two legends at this point in his career so he needs to utilize a tool to create separation. It seems like he rushes head first into the defender and then just puts up a prayer or hopes for a call. Hopefully he figures something out sooner than later because he can't just keep doing the same old thing over and over expecting different results.

Comment

Raps76 wrote: View Post
                I think Demar needs to use either a step back jumper (Nowitzki) or a fade away jumper (Kobe). He's so quick and much more explosive than those two legends at this point in his career so he needs to utilize a tool to create separation. It seems like he rushes head first into the defender and then just puts up a prayer or hopes for a call. Hopefully he figures something out sooner than later because he can't just keep doing the same old thing over and over expecting different results.
                Develop a hesitation dribble. That'll put the defender off balance and get him a better mid-range look (where's he's absolutely elite) and/or a better look at the rim
                @Boymusic66

Comment

Raps76 wrote: View Post
                  No, he's tried fadeaways in the clutch and it's always really bad. And ya he needs to realize that refs are not going to call a foul at the end of the game (something which I agree with), so doing what you did for the first 47 minutes is no longer going to work, you can't get bailed out.

Comment

I would personally prefer to give the final possession to Lowry. His IQ is probably the strongest on the team and he could decide if it would be better to pass the ball (like he did to 2Pat on the game winner against Brooklyn) or to take it himself. DD however needs to learn to make those shots if he ever wants to maintain his star status in the league. Stars make those clutch shots. It's one of the reasons why Gay got a max contract.

Comment

Of Course Casey should be doing more, it's just embarrassing offense. Even teams with the absolute best iso closers run more complex stuff than the raptors do. Infact, most of my criticisms of DeRozan's overall game are really Caseys fault for not putting him in the best position possible to succeed.

Comment

Always. ISO isn't a good play unless you have a great scorer like Durant and even then, ISO isn't the best call.

ISO calls allow the defence to be set and predict the action. They know Demar's game; what he can and can't do and they'll play him away from his strengths. Put the defence on its heels with a set play, preferably one of ten or so the team has developed over the season without using very often (to limit film room scouting benefits to the D).

I'd like to see Lowry with the ball on a pick and roll with weakside cutters/screens. Plop Novak in the corner to stretch the D. Let Lowry read the defence and make the right call.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I don't know why Casey continues to give it to DeMar. He shoots 30% in the final 3 minutes of games decided by 5 points or less. The worst part about that is that doesn't account for the fact that his lack of handles always seem to screw him into a turnover. Lowry should be taking the last shot or atleast given a chance to prove he can or can't. Demar isn't even a very good ISO player regularly so you think a play where the ball atleast moves would be drawn up. Hopefully this is addressed before the playoffs it affects the standings.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                            First of all: Lowry should always have the ball at the end of games

Second of all: it wasn't THAT bad of a team. When the D sucked in he should've kicked it out. That's on Demar.
                            That is so true.

Plays like this make me feel like you have to trade him while you can.

I can't see him wanting back with this team. It is one thing not to have respect of the league but your own coach?

And this is not a hate on DeRozan. It is reality. Lowry can get where he wants against 95% of the league. And who would have been on him down the stretch? DJ - small and weak. Hinrich - large and slow relative to Lowry. Plus Lowry is going to give you options besides himself.

Whereas with DD he has one of best perimeter defenders in the league (Jimmy) on him.

ANyways. A loss is a loss and Raps certainly didn't deserve this game.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              That is so true.

Plays like this make me feel like you have to trade him while you can.

I can't see him wanting back with this team. It is one thing not to have respect of the league but your own coach?

And this is not a hate on DeRozan. It is reality. Lowry can get where he wants against 95% of the league. And who would have been on him down the stretch? DJ - small and weak. Hinrich - large and slow relative to Lowry. Plus Lowry is going to give you options besides himself.

Whereas with DD he has one of best perimeter defenders in the league (Jimmy) on him.

ANyways. A loss is a loss and Raps certainly didn't deserve this game.

Or: Lowry stays, and coach is not asked back.
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                              X