The Unofficial Buyout/Late-Season Signing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    We just added De Colo to play along side Salmons...why would we go out and sign Gordon now?
    Can you even compare the two! Ben Gordon is a proven scorer and a very talented one at that. If you can sign him for the remainder of the season, there's nothing to lose

Comment

I don't know why any people are high on Gordon. He was basically a cancer in Charlotte. He was a chucker everywhere he's been. I wouldn't want him on my team, and hope the Raps don't sign him. Don't think Masai will sign an aging chucker...at least I hope not.
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Feb 21, 2014, 05:02 PM.

Comment

There are a lot of useful guys that will be available. I really hope that De Colo was a prelude to cutting Stone and adding a Kaman or the like. We are way too small for the playoffs.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
          Can you even compare the two! Ben Gordon is a proven scorer and a very talented one at that. If you can sign him for the remainder of the season, there's nothing to lose
          Was a proven scorer, Charlotte is getting rid of him because they are replacing him and Sessions with Neal and Ridnour....how good can he still be?
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            He'll be an UFA though. They'll have his bird rights, but that's a very minor factor when a guy isn't likely to get a big or long deal. Can't see it as a very big asset, or a situation where it will necessarily be in Granger's best interest to agree to a S&T.

Then there's also the politics of the league. Philly forces him to stay on their roster even if he's unhappy, they also piss off his agent and create some negativity around their franchise. And Philly already doesn't have the best reputation as a city/organization to play for.
            What about honoring your contract? Granger should be a great mentor for Philly's young players, but he's apparently demanding a buyout so he can selfishly pursue a championship with a contender who will acquire him for way below fair market value. I don't see how Philly is doing anything wrong here, unless they tell him to stay home and not bother even dressing (which I haven't heard about at this point).

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
              Ben Gordon was a proven scorer 4 years ago...he has fallen a long way since then. He is a negative player when he steps on the court, all he does is chuck it up a some of the worst shooting percentages in the league.

De Colo doesn't score as much, but is more efficient and a better passer than Gordon. A better team guy and I think a much better fit with our team. Also younger and could be a solid bench type contributor in the future. Gordon is a blah move now that would only get worse with time.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                What about honoring your contract? Granger should be a great mentor for Philly's young players, but he's apparently demanding a buyout so he can selfishly pursue a championship with a contender who will acquire him for way below fair market value. I don't see how Philly is doing anything wrong here, unless they tell him to stay home and not bother even dressing (which I haven't heard about at this point).
                I'm sorry...but what young players? The guy they're holding out for the whole season to tank (Noel)? The PG who already has good leadership qualities (MCW)? Do they have a single other young player who's really in their long-term plans? Thaddeus Young....who they openly shopped as they steamroll ahead with their tank job?

He's clearly not in Philly's plans. They acquired him so he could expire. I doubt they give 2 shits about what actual contributions he could make in the short time he would be there. So if the primary reason is they want his money coming off the books, why isn't it good politics to buy him out as soon as possible, rather than let a disgruntled veteran sit on your bench and be pissed.

I don't think Granger is in the right to want a buyout, but it's definitely understandable for a guy who worked to come back from an injury to help a contender only to be traded by that contender (who also drafted him and who he's busted his ass for his whole career). I don't think it's the worst kind of selfish.

Philly isn't doing anything wrong, but I don't see them as really having anything to gain by keeping him around if he'll be unhappy, while cutting him lose can't hurt a team that, again, does not have a great reputation with players in the league (not at all helped by their awful fanbase too).

Comment

I believe the NBA'a all-time leading scorer Kareem Abdul-Jabaar is available. Could always use a scoring big.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Philly basically traded Turner for a second rounder. Turner and Allen were both expiring as well (they could have just renounced their rights). It was really a bad trade for them. A 2nd rounder from Indiana? Might have just kept Turner. I'm sure he could have been worth something in a s&t in the off season.

I guess they just really wanted to tank hard.

Comment

Earl Clark was traded to Philly... But can someone confirm he was released. I heard that he got released and I would mind him for an assurance wing instead of bricking shots with STONEs. Also for size at 5... Would anyone consider Jason Collins?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        Philly basically traded Turner for a second rounder. Turner and Allen were both expiring as well (they could have just renounced their rights). It was really a bad trade for them. A 2nd rounder from Indiana? Might have just kept Turner. I'm sure he could have been worth something in a s&t in the off season.

I guess they just really wanted to tank hard.
                        This confuses the hell out of me too. If they wanted a 2nd rounder, I feel like Atlanta or someone else could have given them a better one for Turner. They swapped an expiring young RFA for an expiring chronically injured UFA. Doesn't really make sense to me from Philly's end.

Comment

I don't think Philly wanted to keep Turner....and knew they weren't going to resign him anyways in the off season...so they got what they could for him.

Other GMs knew this and probably gave Philly a ton of low ball offers and Indiana's was the best option for them....

Comment

I think that trade was more about draft positioning this year than anything else. Taking on the extra $4mil in salary also helps them get above the minimum payroll in the NBA, without taking on any additional future salary.
                            Being a Toronto Raptors fan is like being in an abusive relationship... Every time you've reached your breaking point after years of disappointment and neglect, they do just enough to give you hope for the future... Only to let you down again.

Here's hoping 2014-2015 breaks the cycle!!! #WeTheNorth

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                              Rumours flying that the Sixers are talking with Danny Granger about a buyout.
                              Would love for him to come here. He's not what he used to be, but he still has game. But I think he would sign with the Heat/Spurs/OKC as he is pissed that Indy traded him to Philly.

Still need a legit backup centre though. Chuck Hayes it too short. Jason Collins?

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                                He was worth a second-rounder during the season so that's doubtful. Sign-and-trades are, historically, lousy to return as compared to actual trades.

Comment

Working...
                                X