Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you be prepared to give up to acquire Andrew Wiggins ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you be prepared to give up to acquire Andrew Wiggins ?

Most mock NBA drafts for 2014 show Wiggins going 2nd or 3rd.
    If bottom of standings remain the same as today...Philadelphia picks second and Orlando picks 3rd.
    Personally I think Philadelphia would most likely keep their pick but Orlando may be a different story.

Besides our 1st rounder in 2014, we have our 1st in 2015 and two 1st in 2016. Would four 1st rounders be enough
    to make a deal happen?

Assuming Wiggins is still the player a lot of people felt we should tank for ,what kind of package of players and/or draft picks would be enough to acquire Wiggins if the opportunity presents itself.

I'd give my left nut. He could play small forward for orlando
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

We can't trade all those first-rounders. It's against NBA rules as it would leave us with no first-rounders in consecutive years. We could trade our 2014 pick and both 2016 picks though. Would I do that? Yeah, but I'm pretty sure none of the top lottery teams would take it, as those are going to be mid or late first-rounders. It would probably take adding both JV and Ross to the package to make it something another team would consider. (Which is a trade I'd be reluctant to make).

Comment

I don't want to be negative about this thread but it is beyond rhetorical. As we've seen from the latest trade deadline, the new CBA has hamstrung many executives. The new name of the game is flexibility and picks are valued more than ever. Now you'll hear terms like "controllable players", etc.

The Raps don't have a plethora of future 1st rounders and we still have players that are improving and yes, controllable (see Valanciunas, Ross). I like this direction and will not gut the team for Wiggins or anyone (even if some teams are willing to accept any combination of our young guys). As a matter of fact, I would argue that having lots of picks year after year could be a form of treadmill in a way (see Cleveland, Sacramento).
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
          I'd give my left nut. He could play small forward for orlando
          That's a lot....personally, I'm quite attached to my left nut

Raptorfanatic wrote: View Post
          Assuming Wiggins is still the player a lot of people felt we should tank for ,what kind of package of players and/or draft picks would be enough to acquire Wiggins if the opportunity presents itself.
          Well considering the going rate for an established star (not superstar) is a young prospect+expiring+a lotto+some second rounders...

My best guess would be a young prospect+high pick should be a good starting point.

I would be willing to give up DD+2014 first+the worse of ours and NYKs 2016+Salmons

Comment

No one is trading their top 5 pick for anyone less than a superstar, and I don't mean Lowry or Derozan, I mean superstar like Kevin Love, Rajon Rondo, etc. And even then, they'd think long and hard on it.

Comment

Picks and a big man.
              Only because Wiggins can fit into a starting lineup consisting of Lowry, Derozan/Ross, Wiggins, Amir/2Patt, and JV

Maybe we could save a pick or 2 and send away either DD/ T Ross.

The tough part would be choosing between the two. (At least for me)
              I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
              -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

My pipe dream is to somehow have the Lakers pick between 3-5 and trade DD and our own pick for Nash and the Lakers pick.. Not sure if Lakers want to develop these freshmen when they have Kobe starring hard at them from behind. Also, Lakers will free up cap space to acquire 2 other Marquee free agents for the other 30~ Mill they ll have available.

with their pick... I am almost fine with either Parker Wiggins or Vonleh. again, pipe dream lol.

Comment

It's an interesting dilemma, which will be contingent on how far he drops (if at all) and what the team needs are with the potential trading partners.

On one hand, I'd gladly trade DeRozan & 2014 1st round pick & 2014 2nd round pick (SAC) & one of the team's 2016 1st round picks (TOR/NYK/DEN), to acquire Wiggins (and likely some bad salary). I'd also be fine including any of the depth PFs (ie: Johnson, Patterson or Hansborough) as part of a larger deal.

On the other hand, Wiggins would essentially be a straight-up replacement for DeRozan at the starting SF spot (Ross is a more natural 3&D SG). For as much as I've criticized DeRozan, it would still be tough to surrender multiple 1st round picks to replace DeRozan with an unproven prospect.

At the end of the day, I'd probably do it. I would also understand the rationale for believing that price would be too high to pay.

Comment

ball4life wrote: View Post
                    My pipe dream is to somehow have the Lakers pick between 3-5 and trade DD and our own pick for Nash and the Lakers pick.. Not sure if Lakers want to develop these freshmen when they have Kobe starring hard at them from behind. Also, Lakers will free up cap space to acquire 2 other Marquee free agents for the other 30~ Mill they ll have available.

with their pick... I am almost fine with either Parker Wiggins or Vonleh. again, pipe dream lol.
                    If I'm the Lakers, I would much rather take a prospect from the draft than trade for DeMar. You say they wouldn't want to develop someone with Kobe there, but DD would be more of a threat to take his minutes.
                    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                      If I'm the Lakers, I would much rather take a prospect from the draft than trade for DeMar. You say they wouldn't want to develop someone with Kobe there, but DD would be more of a threat to take his minutes.
                      DeRozan could also be a hometown young talent to eventually replace Kobe.

The team would still get a mid-1st round pick and unload useless salary, all to essentially drop maybe 10-15 spots in the draft.

Toronto could throw in another player (ie: one of the 3 PFs) and/or another pick (ie: SAC's 2014 2nd round pick), to further sweeten the pot.

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                        On the other hand, Kobe doesn't really have much left in the tank, mostly because I think he is now at a stage in his career where injuries, not fatigue, are preventing him from playing.

Derozan is seen by many to be a young Kobe Bryant, and whats to say the Lakers won't trade for him to be their 2nd option behind one of the big namefree agents whom they will very likely be acquiring?

It makes sense to do so, while ridding themselves of Nash's contract. They've got tons of Point Gaurds as well, and if this trade goes down, I would truly like to see Kendall Marshall in T.O.
                        I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                        -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

I would give our 2014 1st rounder (so you are drafting Wiggins in 2014), 2015 1st rounder and best of the 2016 1st rounders. The only draft we would be missing is 2015, which is allowed in the CBA. I think this would be enticing to another team, I would even throw in 2nd rounders. I would want to keep Ross, JV, and hopefully DD anyone else could go.
                          Last edited by saints91; Mon Feb 24, 2014, 08:34 PM.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                            I would be willing to give up DD+2014 first+the worse of ours and NYKs 2016+Salmons
                            I won't give up DD.

For me is the following:

Ross + 2014 first round + our 2016 and NYKs 2016 + Amir + 2 2nd round picks.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              DeRozan could also be a hometown young talent to eventually replace Kobe.

The team would still get a mid-1st round pick and unload useless salary, all to essentially drop maybe 10-15 spots in the draft.

Toronto could throw in another player (ie: one of the 3 PFs) and/or another pick (ie: SAC's 2014 2nd round pick), to further sweeten the pot.
                              I think you're understating a 10-15 spot drop in this year's draft. Regardless of how deep it is, there's a considerable difference between a top 5 pick (where they're project now), and a top 20 pick. Would you as a GM rather start the post-Kobe era with someone like DeMar, or a guy like Parker/Wiggins/etc.?

I don't think the Lakers give up that many spots just to shed Nash's contract.

Speaking of which, I also don't understand this urgency that people think the Lakers have to move Nash. He only has one year left worth $9.7, and it's not like LA is in a bad enough cap situation to move him for the sole purpose of moving him. Again, just don't think LA sacrifices draft position just to rid themselves of him.

Kobe, Nash and Bobby Sacre are the only Lakers under contract for next season. He'll be off the books by the time a guy like Kevin Love comes around in 2015.

I think it would take a lot of sweetening for Kupchak to accept that deal. There's a reason teams are so unwilling to give up top-10 picks this year.

Just my opinion though.
                              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Working...
                              X