Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you be prepared to give up to acquire Andrew Wiggins ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quirk wrote: View Post
    I say we pull out the stops to get Ennis instead, maybe target Orlando's 2nd first rounder (13th) or Philadelphia's (11th). Should be much easier to get these, since that far down the draft teams are less certain of their pick and may be willing to trade.

Once we get Ennis, we plan on creating cap space and luring Wiggins in free agency when the time comes, and if he proves himself.

I think Ennis will be a star, and along with Ross and JV can perhaps be the core that lures Wiggins to take his talents to Bay Street. Especially if he winds up in Orlando .
    YES, THIS!! I've been saying this to people all year. No one is likely to give up a top 5 pick, but adding another solid Canadian or two to the roster will help recruit him down the road. They can tamper while on the national team together just like the Miami big 3 did. And from what I've seen of Ennis, I think he will develop into a nice floor general.

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
      I realize AW is a higher ceiling player, but he also plays the position that has the most talent in the nba. JV has shown star potential and plays the hardest position to find talent at. It's intriguing
      No, its not even intriguing. Every gm in the league would laught at your comparison. Andrew Wiggins is a million times more valuable with a way higher ceiling than JV. Fuck what position they play. This kid coud be the next t mac minus the injuries. In other words, future hall of famer, finals mvp.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
        Dude, I so, so easily take Embiid over JV. Come on.
        You might, but keep in mind Andrea Bargnani was traded for a first round draft pick. Joel Embiid could be the next Hakeem Olajuwon, but he could (even if this is an infinitesimally small percentage) also be the next Hassan Whiteside or Hasheem Thabeet.

With the right GM, all you need is a tiny seed of doubt.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
          You might, but keep in mind Andrea Bargnani was traded for a first round draft pick. Joel Embiid could be the next Hakeem Olajuwon, but he could (even if this is an infinitesimally small percentage) also be the next Hassan Whiteside or Hasheem Thabeet.

With the right GM, all you need is a tiny seed of doubt.
          But JV could be a dud too.

A pick 3 years down the line, from a team that was a top 4 seed the year before, is a lot less valuable than a top 3 pick, the year of, in one of the best drafts of the decade.

NYK was also given the chance to unload some useless contracts in Novak and Camby. They were expecting Bargnani to contribute SOMETHING.
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

JV, Derozan 2014 1st both 2016 1sts

Comment

But JV could be a dud too.

A pick 3 years down the line, from a team that was a top 4 seed the year before, is a lot less valuable than a top 3 pick, the year of, in one of the best drafts of the decade.

NYK was also given the chance to unload some useless contracts in Novak and Camby. They were expecting Bargnani to contribute SOMETHING.
              You're totally right about the pick value. This is a completely hypothetical (and unrealistic) thread so I came up with my thoughts on it. Maybe we'd need more to get a top 5 pick, but I do stand by the fact that rebuilding teams are more likely to trade for JV than DeRozan based on potential. From a rebuilding standpoint, it's a 3-5 year window and by that time, DeRozan would either be looking for a big pay day or on his way out. JV is a guy you can build around. I don't know if you can say JV could be a dud -- that's what I was saying back when he was drafted and I wanted us to take Kemba Walker. But at this point JV's ceiling certainly has dropped a few notches.

A GM with doubts might say, okay JV isn't dominating right now, but neither was Tyson Chandler at the same age.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

Wiggins will NOT be a Raptor for at least 5-6 years.
                Probably closer to 9 years due to RFA rookie contract

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                  You're totally right about the pick value. This is a completely hypothetical (and unrealistic) thread so I came up with my thoughts on it. Maybe we'd need more to get a top 5 pick, but I do stand by the fact that rebuilding teams are more likely to trade for JV than DeRozan based on potential. From a rebuilding standpoint, it's a 3-5 year window and by that time, DeRozan would either be looking for a big pay day or on his way out. JV is a guy you can build around. I don't know if you can say JV could be a dud -- that's what I was saying back when he was drafted and I wanted us to take Kemba Walker. But at this point JV's ceiling certainly has dropped a few notches.

A GM with doubts might say, okay JV isn't dominating right now, but neither was Tyson Chandler at the same age.
                  Oh, absolutely rebuilding teams take JV over DD.

JV's value right now, like you said, is on potential. So is Embiid's. JV could still be a disappointment, it's not guaranteed that he becomes Chandler.

JV's floor might be slightly higher than Embiid's right now, just because we've seen him play in the NBA. But I think any rebuilding team would take Embiid over JV right now, that's all I was saying.

I just think that if a GM has doubts about Embiid, it's not like JV is a surefire thing.

JV, imo, is worth a pick 6-10 in this year's draft. And that's a big drop from the top 5.
                  "Bruno?
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Noone!

Let Wiggins get drafted by Mil, Phi or Orl and become a star, it would do more for the franchise in the long run to have Wiggins become a star while playing out the standard 2-3 year rookie contract with another team & then sign him as top free agent to a long term deal with Toronto and break the history of stars/emerging stars bolting from Toronto as soon as they can or Raptors inability to sign Stars. Its not like we'd be suffering for 2-3 seasons...we'd still be building around Lowry, DD & JOVA

Comment

RepTdot wrote: View Post
                      Noone!

Let Wiggins get drafted by Mil, Phi or Orl and become a star, it would do more for the franchise in the long run to have Wiggins become a star while playing out the standard 2-3 year rookie contract with another team & then sign him as top free agent to a long term deal with Toronto and break the history of stars/emerging stars bolting from Toronto as soon as they can or Raptors inability to sign Stars. Its not like we'd be suffering for 2-3 seasons...we'd still be building around Lowry, DD & JOVA
                      The rookie contract is 4 years long. Then he becomes a RFA, when most rookies get extended for 4/5 years.

Unless Wiggins hates where he's going, and declines the extension, in which case he'll be available in 5 years (2019), then we won't have him until 2023, if we get him at all.
                      "Bruno?
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Don't know why you guys think its gonna take 5-9 years. The rules of NBA rookie contracts are quite simple. "The initial term of an NBA rookie contract is two years. However, teams may exercise an option to re-sign a rookie for a third season. This option may be exercised after the completion of the player’s first season until the following October 31. Additionally, if a team exercises its option to keep the player for his third season, it may also exercise an option to keep the player for his fourth season. This option is exercisable from the last day of the player’s second season through the following October 31."
                        basically the standard NBA rookie contract is 2 years with 3rd & 4th year team options. so the max we'd have to wait for him to play out his rookie contract is 4 years

Comment

Don't know why you guys think its gonna take 5-9 years. The rules of NBA rookie contracts are quite simple. "The initial term of an NBA rookie contract is two years. However, teams may exercise an option to re-sign a rookie for a third season. This option may be exercised after the completion of the player’s first season until the following October 31. Additionally, if a team exercises its option to keep the player for his third season, it may also exercise an option to keep the player for his fourth season. This option is exercisable from the last day of the player’s second season through the following October 31."
                          basically the standard NBA rookie contract is 2 years with 3rd & 4th year team options. so the max we'd have to wait for him to play out his rookie contract is 4 years
                          But there's more to it. Even when he enters free agency after 4 years, he's a RFA. If he wants to leave, he still has to sign a one year qualifying offer.

The reason I say nine years, is because the majority of rookies then sign the extension. Even Bosh, Melo, James, none of whom you would call loyal, gave the team that drafted them time to put pieces around them.
                          "Bruno?
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

got it, not sure exactly how the rules of RFA status works, I know it means the original team has the right to match any offer Wiggins gets offered but does he still get the choice of which contract to sign as a RFA? hopefully Wiggins hometown pride kicks in and doesn't sign the extension so he can play here.

Comment

got it, not sure exactly how the rules of RFA status works, I know it means the original team has the right to match any offer Wiggins gets offered but does he still get the choice of which contract to sign as a RFA? hopefully Wiggins hometown pride kicks in and doesn't sign the extension so he can play here.
                              I don't think he does. If the team matches an offer, they will retain Wiggins. If he decides to leave, he has to first take on that QO that comes at the end of his rookie deal (2 yrs + 2 TO's) and after that he would be UFA. 5 years after he is drafted would be the earliest the Raps could get him.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                                We can't trade all those first-rounders. It's against NBA rules as it would leave us with no first-rounders in consecutive years. We could trade our 2014 pick and both 2016 picks though. Would I do that? Yeah, but I'm pretty sure none of the top lottery teams would take it, as those are going to be mid or late first-rounders. It would probably take adding both JV and Ross to the package to make it something another team would consider. (Which is a trade I'd be reluctant to make).
                                Actually, we can. If we trade the 2014 at the draft, the 2015 becomes tradeable (or give them the chance to swap) and since we have 2 in 2016 we can trade the NY one
                                A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Working...
                                X