Kyle Lowry misunderstood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyle Lowry misunderstood?

So I went about my day as usual. Listening to my different sports podcasts that I usually listen. Had extra spare time so I listened to the ones I had miss last week. I fell on this BS report from last week. Bill Simmons interview Chad Ford about the draft and Zach Lowe about potential trades that could of happened. A real great listen.

What I really took away was their diagnosis of Kyle Lowry free agency and his persona. They both describe Lowry as an ass hole. Not for the reasons you think though. Zach Lowe goes on saying that Kyle is just such a competitor and cares so much about winning. That pretty much if you don't match his intensity and willingness to win that he could rub you the wrong way. I'd like to know what everybody's impression of Lowry is and if it's at all changed from the beginning of the season.

50 min mark for raptor related
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...ast?id=2864045

Also found this interview with DD and Bill Simmons at All-Star weekend. Where they also discuss Kyle's persona.

http://bit.ly/NsCmdd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

I'm pretty sure calling KL an asshole is like Rondo and Kobe calling each other assholes. Feels more like respect. That's why I think having his running mate be a gym freak is such a good pairing.
    @Boymusic66

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      So I went about my day as usual. Listening to my different sports podcasts that I usually listen. Had extra spare time so I listened to the ones I had miss last week. I fell on this BS report from last week. Bill Simmons interview Chad Ford about the draft and Zach Lowe about potential trades that could of happened. A real great listen.

What I really took away was their diagnosis of Kyle Lowry free agency and his persona. They both describe Lowry as an ass hole. Not for the reasons you think though. Zach Lowe goes on saying that Kyle is just such a competitor and cares so much about winning. That pretty much if you don't match his intensity and willingness to win that he could rub you the wrong way. I'd like to know what everybody's impression of Lowry is and if it's at all changed from the beginning of the season.

50 min mark for raptor related
      http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...ast?id=2864045

Also found this interview with DD and Bill Simmons at All-Star weekend. Where they also discuss Kyle's persona.

http://bit.ly/NsCmdd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      For some reason it isn't working for me. Maybe it's my computer
      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
        I'm pretty sure calling KL an asshole is like Rondo and Kobe calling each other assholes. Feels more like respect. That's why I think having his running mate be a gym freak is such a good pairing.
        Yep, there are good headcases and bad headcases. Rondo/Kobe/Lowry want to win so badly it makes them a little crazy.

Guys like Larry Bird are going to understand and recognize that. A guy like Daryl Morey, who is a numbers genius and less concerned about chemistry/personality, may discount it or be unwilling to put up with it.

The bad headcases are guys who don't care about the game (Bynum) or have serious character/mental issues (Tyrus Thomas). These guys tend to wash out of the league unless they have outrageous talent.

The key is telling which is which. Before this season I figured Demarcus Cousins was shaping up to be the latter but he has proven me wrong this season, taking on more of a leadership role. But it's hard to judge this stuff at a distance. A lot of Raps fans thought Ed Davis had a bad attitude and didn't want to be here until they saw how heartbroken he was to get traded.

Comment

Lowry should be comfortable now because there are at least two other guys on the team who feel just as he does: DeMar DeRozan and Tyler Hansbrough. Those guys leave it on the floor every single night. The intensity has to rub off on everyone else. I think that with the departure of Mr. Gay, having Lowry and DeRozan step forward as leaders by word and by example has transformed the team. The Raptors are a hell of a lot of fun to watch as a result. When there is a stoppage in play, watch Lowry talk to his teammates, you will see what I mean.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
            Yep, there are good headcases and bad headcases. Rondo/Kobe/Lowry want to win so badly it makes them a little crazy.

Guys like Larry Bird are going to understand and recognize that. A guy like Daryl Morey, who is a numbers genius and less concerned about chemistry/personality, may discount it or be unwilling to put up with it.

The bad headcases are guys who don't care about the game (Bynum) or have serious character/mental issues (Tyrus Thomas). These guys tend to wash out of the league unless they have outrageous talent.

The key is telling which is which. Before this season I figured Demarcus Cousins was shaping up to be the latter but he has proven me wrong this season, taking on more of a leadership role. But it's hard to judge this stuff at a distance. A lot of Raps fans thought Ed Davis had a bad attitude and didn't want to be here until they saw how heartbroken he was to get traded.
            Looking at articles about DeMarcus, his attitude problems make a lot more sense. Going from being a consistent winner with a strong support system around him, to a bad organization without the same support system, high expectations, lots of losing, no veteran presence, and nobody to teach him how to deal and communicate with teammates who don't understand the game like he does?
            @Boymusic66

Comment

Don't forget that this is the first time that Lowry has been given the reigns of a team. Every other team he's played for there's been a point guard controversy. Here the team was given to him, MU, TL and DC had a meeting with Kyle before the start of the season and layed out rules and expectations. I'm not sure what that meeting consisted of but MU has said Kyle has lived up to and exceeded to whatever it is they spoke about.

I really think MU's openness with players has also helped, a lot of times the uncertainty of your situation can bring out negative attitudes so knowing where u stand and what the teams plans are for you has to do a lot for a players mentality.

I like KL and I think the raptors like him, especially TL. They seem to have a similar thought process of demanding winning and excellence. Its refreshing for this raps fan.
              Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
              Because its 2015

Comment

God I hope he stays. You don't what you got till its gone folks, and he's the most valuable player we've had since Vince.
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Remember when folks here were saying that Calderon is the better player?

Or when some were outraged that we traded Gary Forbes and the pick that turned out to be Steven Adams, for Lowry?

Ah, those were the days....

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Remember when folks here were saying that Calderon is the better player?

Or when some were outraged that we traded Gary Forbes and the pick that turned out to be Steven Adams, for Lowry?

Ah, those were the days....
                    Well, at the time, we had no idea how historically bad the 2013 draft would be. It was a lot like the 2006 one in hindsight.
                    "Bruno?
                    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Lowry is just so focussed on improving his game and winning that he doesn't really mince words. He's not looking to make friends out there on the court he's just looking for 4 other guys who want to win as badly as he does.

Comment

Another indication of how much he loves winning is that he probably leads the league this year in "camera bombing post game interviews after w's". I swear, after almost every win, he goes from in game psycho to krusty the clown (hey heyyyy!) Happiest kid in the arena jumping into the screen with a silly face
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

He might have a bad rep around the league but I love Lowry's no apologies, no bullshit attitude...he's a pit bull competitor and brings it on both ends of the floor...that attitude was exactly what this team was missing during the Bosh/Bargnani/Calderon era. I hope he re-signs and Masai offers him a long term $8-10mil contract to keep him here.

Comment

I would say that Kyle as a person is a decent guy and that's because he makes an effort to be that. He does not argue with referees "disrespectfully", he does not make controversial remarks with the media, he does not complain about the way he's being used by his Coach and so on. His passionate play on court can make it seem like he's not a nice guy but it's not true. By no means would I compare him with the likes of AI, World Peace or even Kobe Bryant.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

People realize Gary forbes sucked right? And having Lowry over Calderon has been night and day difference when it comes to closing out games. Calderon was infuriating to watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X