Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will happen if the Raptors trade for an elite talent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    If Bosh wanted to sign, I would give up picks to create space.

But I doubt that's a possibility.
    30 year old Bosh making $20m per year?

You've already given up all financial flexibility on a guy who could use new knees and you're alright with giving away picks?

I wouldn't but I've been wrong before.

This smells like Joe Johnson.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
      OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      I have wondered about this...agents take like 30% in some cases (for doing nothing)...
      For what it's worth.
      For what its worth I already corrected my mistake...

torch19 wrote: View Post
      If we trade for elite talent, then we'll be elite ... I think it's as simple as that. We have good players but I wouldn't say we have elite talent right now; DeMar is making a case but I wouldn't categorize him as elite right now.

I may see some shots fired but I think CHRIS BOSH would make this team 'elite'. Just think about how underrated he's become since coming to Miami. He still posts good numbers (rebounding isn't great though) on monster efficiency & has stretched out his game past the 3 point line (shooting 37% this season).

Miami is +10 points per 100 possessions with Bosh on the court & along with LeBron, Bosh is anchoring that Miami defense. He has the length & quickness to bother the pick and roll and he has good timing on rotations.

All I'm saying is, if you put him in our 4 spot -- giving us a line-up of Lowry, Ross, DeRozan, Bosh & Valanciunas, we have ourselves a really good chance at contention in the East.

So my question is, how the hell can we bring him home?

I'm aware he has an ETO, so he can potentially be a free agent. I don't think we have max cap space [or] maybe we do ... I just want to know what's a realistic way of getting him here.

20th anniversary ... bring Vince & CB4 home!
      Toronto Bosh I would love, Miami Bosh not so much. Miami Bosh is probably the better of the two, but Toronto Bosh is better suited to being the main line guy.

I have a scenario...say at the end of the year, Embiid is number one, and Wiggins is number 2. Say Milwaukee is picking number 2...they should take Wiggins, but the already have Giannis at SF....would you guys be open to trading for him? How much(personally DD for Giannis+Pachulia+2nd rounder)? Do you think the Greek Freak can be an elite player?

I think if we keep Lowry and continue winning, but have guys like a Ross+Giannis+Val learning how to win...we could potentially put ourselves in a sustainable competitive situation.

Comment

• Bucks would keep Giannis for sure
        It would take more than DD to get Giannis imo
        Giannis is looking like a complete game changer: a near 7 foot SF that has mid-range, can run the floor and has surprisingly great handles?

If anything, they would put Wiggins at SG.

PG: Knight?
        SG: Wiggins
        SF: Giannis
        PF: Henson
        C: Sanders

Comment

• 2kfeen wrote: View Post
          Bucks would keep Giannis for sure
          Giannis is looking like a complete game changer: a near 7 foot SF that has mid-range, can run the floor and has surprisingly great handles?

That right there folks... is what i call LENGTH on the court... they ll definitely have to make the court bigger for opposing teams to have a chance at playing ball with that lineup.. i for one DROOL for that lineup

Comment

• [QUOTE=Puffer;299484]
            OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
            I have wondered about this...agents take like 30% in some cases (for doing nothing).../QUOTE]

"An agent’s commission varies, based on the sport he represents. Generally, a sports agent earns between 4 and 10 percent of an athlete’s playing contract, though some leagues place limits on what percentage an agent can charge in commission. For example, the National Football League states that an agent can't receive more than 3 percent of player salaries. The National Basketball Association places the limit at 3 percent too. Major League Baseball and the National Hockey League don't have any limits on agent commissions, however."

For what it's worth.

http://work.chron.com/average-sports...ion-21083.html
            I think the chron website may be wrong. Here are the official NBPA regs (at least the only ones I can find). Section 4 B on page 9. Max fees are 2% on minimum contracts, 4% on all others. It's dated 1991, so things may have changed, but there does not seem to be any more current version.

http://www.nbpa.org/sites/default/fi...ions%20PDF.pdf
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              30 year old Bosh making $20m per year?

You've already given up all financial flexibility on a guy who could use new knees and you're alright with giving away picks?

I wouldn't but I've been wrong before.

This smells like Joe Johnson.
              I think the Raptors shouldn't be too picky. 30 sounds a lot but it's just 2 years more than Lowry. He's a top 20 player in his prime, still adding to his game, with experience of big games. He's also a great fit. If the Raptors have a lineup of Lowry-DeMar-Ross-Bosh-Jonas, with several solid bench options, I'd expect them to be a 50+ wins team.

I can't judge the medical side, so if the Raptors' physicians would say "stay away, he's not likely to stay good for the whole 4 years," fair enough. If they say that there's some risk.. well, there are no risk-free ways to get and keep a player of Bosh's caliber. Re Joe Johnson, a big part of that problem was the 6 year deal. And still, he was traded for expirings + a pick, so not so terrible an outcome in hindsight. Bosh is better, 4 years, so considerably less risky. Not to mention, they'd mostly be replacing bad contracts in year 1, so it's really 3 extra years.

I think that the Raptors should keep multiple options open. But in the end, this particular option probably doesn't matter, I don't expect Bosh to be interested.

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
                20th anniversary ... bring Vince & CB4 home!
                My keyboard is now covered in vomit.

We really need to stop looking backward and look forward to the future. There's not much behind us but halfassery and failure.

Comment

• 2kfeen wrote: View Post
                  Bucks would keep Giannis for sure

My goodness that lineup right they're is just ridiculous
                  "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                    My goodness that lineup right they're is just ridiculous
                    And they would STILL screw it up, because bucks. If they hired thibs and let him pick the GM with that lineup they would run the league in 2 years
                    @Boymusic66

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                      I think the Raptors shouldn't be too picky. 30 sounds a lot but it's just 2 years more than Lowry. He's a top 20 player in his prime, still adding to his game, with experience of big games. He's also a great fit. If the Raptors have a lineup of Lowry-DeMar-Ross-Bosh-Jonas, with several solid bench options, I'd expect them to be a 50+ wins team.

I can't judge the medical side, so if the Raptors' physicians would say "stay away, he's not likely to stay good for the whole 4 years," fair enough. If they say that there's some risk.. well, there are no risk-free ways to get and keep a player of Bosh's caliber. Re Joe Johnson, a big part of that problem was the 6 year deal. And still, he was traded for expirings + a pick, so not so terrible an outcome in hindsight. Bosh is better, 4 years, so considerably less risky. Not to mention, they'd mostly be replacing bad contracts in year 1, so it's really 3 extra years.

I think that the Raptors should keep multiple options open. But in the end, this particular option probably doesn't matter, I don't expect Bosh to be interested.
                      I certainly do.

Enough of this we're just happy to get anyone.

Time to act like the incredible franchise the Raptors are looking to become.

Comment

• I wouldn't want Bosh for 15+ mil per year, and that is likely what he would get at least. Furthermore, if we did bring him back, is he then the #1 guy? I don't like that idea. If he would play into the type of system we have now, where he would be setting a lot of screens and utilizing the PnR and pick and pop scenarios, then I don't mind as much. But Jonas would have to be a priority in the post, and the ball would still have to go through Lowry and DD primarily IMO. In this case, Bosh is really not much more than an expensive 2Pat, and I am not that interested in that. I really think that if we are gonna upgrade the 4, we need a guy that can defend the paint similar to Amir's level, but be a better post presence than Amir. I'm not sure who can provide that, but a max contract Bosh is probably not the answer.

Comment

• Tim Lieweke wanted posters of all time great Leafs taken down from the ACC. I can't see him thinking Bosh is a good idea. I'm sure he wants to distinguish this team from the past as quickly as possible.

Comment

• If we want Bosh, we wait a year. Assume Bosh doesn't opt out this year, but declines his PO for the year after. Then we just sign him with cap space.

No need to be giving up assets to clear cap space when a year of waiting will give us the same cap room.

Point being that we shouldn't make an attempt to get Bosh this summer. Wait and see if he is available the following summer.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              I certainly do.

Enough of this we're just happy to get anyone.

Time to act like the incredible franchise the Raptors are looking to become.
                              I think we shouldn't get carried away by rhetorics. This isn't Ben Gordon or Charlie Villaneuva. This anyone is pretty darn good. Taking fit into account, the only unrestricted free agents (from the next few years) I'd rather have are LeBron, Durant and Love. I think Love is a somewhat reasonable target but if I had to guess.. 20% chance he signs?

To me the question is 'would it push the Raptors into the 50+ wins territory year after year?' That's in part for physicians to answer. From the talent and fit perspective, I think it would, unless current players cool off considerably.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                If we want Bosh, we wait a year. Assume Bosh doesn't opt out this year, but declines his PO for the year after. Then we just sign him with cap space.

No need to be giving up assets to clear cap space when a year of waiting will give us the same cap room.

Point being that we shouldn't make an attempt to get Bosh this summer. Wait and see if he is available the following summer.
                                I don't think it makes sense for him to opt in. If he's healthy, it's smart to opt out and get the last big deal.

That said, I think it would pretty much take Bosh agent calling and saying 'Bosh is interested in coming back' before Ujiri goes after him. Considering history, and that Bosh hasn't shown any interest whatsoever in comng back, and current hurdles (lack of cap space), I don't see Ujiri focusing on such a seemingly hopeless chase.

Comment

Working...
                                X