Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will happen if the Raptors trade for an elite talent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without making a move up in the 2014 draft I believe the Raptors will be a middling team for the next 4 years. If the goal is to win a championship they should trade a player (I don't care who) and their 2014 first round pick to get Wiggins. With three first round pick in 2015 and 2016, they could contend by 2018.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
      You can't really have Spurs in there because they have relied on Tim D. for so long and they got their Big man via tanking.

Pacers is a different story. They are run by one of the greatest Basketball mind of past 3 decades. Getting PG that late in draft and getting guys like Stevenson in 2nd round and ... That takes real talent.

Does MU have such a talent ? Looking at Denver I don't know if the answer is yes or no.

Rockets is a very interesting case for sure. How they were able to compete but at the same time, move some of their talents and get assets ( picks and ...) it is simply amazing.

We will see what MU will do with Novak, Vas.2Pat and other contracts that he has in hand this summer.
      Spurs are the most unique tanking story ever. Their best player got a season-long injury, they smartly used the opportunity to suck and get a high draft pick to pair with the Admiral.

As for MU- Faried at 22nd was a great pick (how amazingly deep does that draft look now btw? Irving, Thompson, JV, Knight, Walker, Thompson, Morris twins, Leonard, Vucevic, Shump, Harris, Mirotic, Butler, Singler, Parsons, Isiah Thomas) and Fournier was a meh pick at 20 whose giving decent production in limited minutes this year. Quincy Miller hasn't done much, but even 4.6 and 2.7 in 12 minutes isn't bad for a second round pick. So he's got one great pick and two average ones.

Oh and I completely didn't notice he signed Julyan Stone in denver too
      @Boymusic66

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
        That's all MU has to do - keep building, keep adding young talent, keep the picks and prospects, and "swing for the fences" (or whatever) when the right transaction is there.
        I certainly agree with this sentiment. I'm just saying I think it's easier said than done. One thing that's lost in this evaluation of Houston is that Texas is one of seven states with no income taxes and is pretty warm, which I can assure you factored into Dwight's decision. We face an uphill battle in this regard.

That said, the Jays were able to lure free agents north of the border, so it's not an impossible task.

Comment

Got to make sure the pieces fit if you do, Rudy Gay was considered an elite talent when the Raptors got him and it didn`t work out in the end.

Comment

“The best value in the NBA, in the new [collective bargaining agreement], is a really good player on a rookie-scale contract,” McDonough said. “When we won the championship in Boston in 2008, we had Rajon [Rondo] on his rookie-scale contract. We had Glen Davis, who played a big role for us. Leon Powe played a good-sized role for us. Kendrick Perkins had re-signed and had a good number, so that was important.”

The Phoenix equivalent of those players are Dragic, Markieff Morris, Marcus Morris, EricBledsoe, Miles Plumlee, and ex-Celtic Gerald Green. McDonough made the astute hire of former Suns and Jazz standout Jeff Hornacek as coach, although the two had never met before the interview process. Hornacek has made the most of his first NBA head coaching job, galvanizing a bunch of youngsters and journeymen.

“The players are like sponges,” Hornacek said. “They continually ask questions. For coaches, it’s great for us, they are trying to learn, they are trying to do the things we ask. There are a couple of times where they’ll make suggestions. If it’s a good idea, we’ll say, ‘Yeah, let’s go ahead and do that.’ They’re great guys to coach and that obviously helps trying to get some wins.”

The next step is attracting a superstar to Phoenix. Like the Celtics historically, the Suns have had trouble signing major free agents despite Phoenix being a popular residence for professional athletes. McDonough will have an opportunity to change that with salary cap space to offer a maximum contract.

“I hope not very difficult at all. That’s what I’ve heard in terms of talking to people who have worked here in the past,” said McDonough, referring to attracting free agent interest. “They say whichever free agent you call, they’re going to listen and seriously consider it. I think we have a lot of advantages with the weather and the fact it’s a great place to live, and the golf courses. There’s a lot to do here during the NBA season.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...MvL/story.html
            The bold sections are along my thoughts with this thread. A good player on a rookie deal is an incredible value and you retain Bird Rights. You don't want to give up all those guys to land a star. Unrestricted free agency is the way to land a star without losing any assets - other than cap space. When you are trying to do that every city has challenges, even Phoenix with their weather. I think for Toronto it is going to come down to who is in charge and the sales job they do. However if a strong roster is not already in place without potential to get better organically or otherwise, fergettaboutit.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
              I certainly agree with this sentiment. I'm just saying I think it's easier said than done. One thing that's lost in this evaluation of Houston is that Texas is one of seven states with no income taxes and is pretty warm, which I can assure you factored into Dwight's decision. We face an uphill battle in this regard.

That said, the Jays were able to lure free agents north of the border, so it's not an impossible task.
              I think it comes down to money. Stars are looking after their future. And extra 1.5 million a year on a 3 year contract, is 4.5 million. Anyone that says 4.5 million doesn't make a difference is probably wrong in most cases.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                I think it comes down to money. Stars are looking after their future. And extra 1.5 million a year on a 3 year contract, is 4.5 million. Anyone that says 4.5 million doesn't make a difference is probably wrong in most cases.
                Exactly. People also have to remember that these players have to live off of ~10 years of salary for most of the rest of their lives. They're being paid well, but it's hardly a lifelong career.
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                  Exactly. People also have to remember that these players have to live off of ~10 years of salary for most of the rest of their lives. They're being paid well, but it's hardly a lifelong career.
                  And let's also not forget the slimy player agents, who are incented to maximize total compensation on a per deal basis. I would guess that you could count on one hand the times that a player agent advised his client to take significantly less money (and truly meant it) in the history of professional sports - without some un-written side-deal of other revenue stream to make it up, in the works.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                    And let's also not forget the slimy player agents, who are incented to maximize total compensation on a per deal basis. I would guess that you could count on one hand the times that a player agent advised his client to take significantly less money (and truly meant it) in the history of professional sports - without some un-written side-deal of other revenue stream to make it up, in the works.
                    I have wondered about this...agents take like 30% in some cases (for doing nothing).

Why do pro athletes have agents who take percentage? NBA GM's will offer what they believe is fair value, and as a player you do know your worth. You don't need an agent to negotiate for you IMO.

For example if your agent is making 30% and he says he can get you a 10 mil deal, that means you are making 7. Why not just fire him and say to the GM you'll take 8.5? You make more...your team has more cap space. If you don't want to get screwed legally, hire a lawyer for a flat hourly commission for a thousandth of the cost...

I hate agents...leaches and dredges of society (not unlike used car salesman)

I guess they do take care of some of the business side of things....but you can do that as a player as well, it is not that hard and would massively increase communication between player and front office in a good way. just my 2 cents...

Comment

I believe the max an agent can make on an NBA contract is 4% - a far cry from 30%.
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                        I believe the max an agent can make on an NBA contract is 4% - a far cry from 30%.
                        I heard the NBA limits agents' commissions to just 3%.

Comment

Agents don't make anywhere near 30%.

Not that 3% is a bad deal at all. The average player makes like what 5M per season? So that's $150K per player basically. If you're someone like Arn Tellem that has $300M worth of player salary signed with him this season. You're making $9M from commission.

Edit: What was suggested a few posts above this one is wrong. It makes a ton of sense for a player to hire an agent. Even the highest paid players aren't going to be paying an agent much more than $500K. If that agent can secure you millions more in salary, then why not hire one? Additionally they have access to and contacts with endorsements, sponsorships, tv people, magazines, etc. AND it's in their best interest to earn you as much money as possible, because then they will earn as much as possible as well.
                          Last edited by imanshumpert; Mon Mar 3, 2014, 02:04 PM.

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                            Agents don't make anywhere near 30%.

Not that 3% is a bad deal at all. The average player makes like what 5M per season? So that's $150K per player basically. If you're someone like Arn Tellem that has $300M worth of player salary signed with him this season. You're making $9M from commission.

Edit: What was suggested a few posts above this one is wrong. It makes a ton of sense for a player to hire an agent. Even the highest paid players aren't going to be paying an agent much more than $500K. If that agent can secure you millions more in salary, then why not hire one? Additionally they have access to and contacts with endorsements, sponsorships, tv people, magazines, etc. AND it's in their best interest to earn you as much money as possible, because then they will earn as much as possible as well.
                            Related article as Ravens S Matt Elam went the no-agent route. Ray Allen is mentioned in the article, but I don't know his specifics.

http://sportsmoney.com/do-you-really...-agent-part-1/

Edit: Max NBA agent commission is set at 4% by the NBA.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

The 3-4% commission is only on player salary. Money obtained from sponsors could have higher commission rates. That's also why an agent can matter. If you only care about the salary a team gives you then its no big deal.. just sign a lawyer to help you with the paper work. But if you want to be sponsored and by a big corporation for example you'll want an agent to help negotiate deals for you.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                                This is true for anyone but a star player. They will get paid anywhere they go, and it's those max level players Toronto is trying to lure. I'm sure w'ed have no problem signing Shawn Marrion or Elton Brand by over paying them. It's the KD's and Love's we want though.

Comment

Working...
                                X