WS/salary comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WS/salary comparisons

So, I promised this in a thread yesterday. I made a spreadsheet of various advanced stats along with each player's (every single active player's) salary. I made the spreadsheet a while ago, but decided it wasn't as useful as I'd hoped.

Oh and I've got info for 2012-2013 and 2013-2014. For now I'll only post stuff from this year though.

I can do a bunch of stuff with this, or upload it somewhere if anyone wants to mess around with it, but, for now, I'll shoot a few lists out:

Top 10 players in WS/$1,000,000:

Name WS Salary WS/$1,000,000
    1. Isaiah Thomas 6.4 884k 7.237
    2. Chandler Parsons 6 926k 6.476
    3. Lance Stephenson 6.2 1,000k 6.169
    4. PJ Tucker 3.9 884k 4.410
    5. Jimmy Butler 4.1 1,112k 3.684
    6. Patrick Beverley 2.9 788k 3.676
    7. Patrick Mills 3.7 1,134k 3.263
    8. Mike Scott 2.5 788k 3.169
    9. James Johnson 2.1 680k 3.087
    10. Kyle Singler 3.2 1,045k 3.062
    So, as you can see, it's basically all just productive players with super low salaries.

A game I was thinking of playing, was figuring out the most effective way to fill out a 14 man roster that pays 62 million dollars this year.

I'm having my first busy day at work in ages, so will put some more lists up when I have time.

I'm planning on doing all-stars, and the raptors, and maybe I'll think of something else.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Really cool list- Interesting that there's non-rookie contracts on there when rookie contracts are the best value in the nba. I wonder how the list changes with a minimum minute level (ex 25 minute minimum?)

Also, as always, #9- COOOOLLLLLAAAAANNNNGEEEELLLOOO
    @Boymusic66

Comment

Great job.. really interesting to see where the Raptors rank in the overall list. Fields has probably got to have one of the worst rankings in the league.

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
        Really cool list- Interesting that there's non-rookie contracts on there when rookie contracts are the best value in the nba. I wonder how the list changes with a minimum minute level (ex 25 minute minimum?)

Also, as always, #9- COOOOLLLLLAAAAANNNNGEEEELLLOOO
        The top 10 list, when sorting out players who average less than 25mpg is:

Isaiah Thomas
        Chandler Parsons
        Lance Stephenson
        PJ Tucker
        Jimmy Butler
        Patrick Beverley
        Kyle Singler
        Terrence Jones
        Andre Drummond
        Kris Middleton
        11. Kenneth Faried
        12. Paul George
        13. Miles Plumlee
        14. DJ Augustin
        "Bruno?
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
          The top 10 list, when sorting out players who average less than 25mpg is:

Isaiah Thomas
          Chandler Parsons
          Lance Stephenson
          PJ Tucker
          Jimmy Butler
          Patrick Beverley
          Kyle Singler
          Terrence Jones
          Andre Drummond
          Kris Middleton
          11. Kenneth Faried
          12. Paul George
          13. Miles Plumlee
          14. DJ Augustin
          Another interesting filter might be to exclude players on rookie deals, since any contributing rookie will almost certainly fly up the list because of the salary rules related to rookie-scale deals. Those players are obviously going to command big raises from their current teams, once their initial rookie deal is up.

I'm sure these types of comparative analyses are used when determining how much to re-sign rookies for. A reasonable fair market salary maintains the players' value, as far a contribution per dollar. However, overpaying could see a player tumble down this list, decreasing his relative value.

It would be tricky to filter, unless you go through and have a column to indicate Y/N for rookie-scale contract - you could probably go by draft year, but it would take some work to go through player-by-player.

Nice work!

Comment

Various Raptor Rankings. Landry Fields is not at the absolute bottom because there are several guys with negative WS. As far as I can tell, the >25mpg doesn't affect much, since WS is a cumulative stat, you have to be good AND have played a lot to have a high WS.

Name Overall Rank in WS WS Overall Rank in WS/$ WS/$mill
            Kyle Lowry 6th 8.9 69th 1.433
            Demar Derozan 27th 6.1 166th 0.642
            Terrence Ross 109th 3 85th 1.120
            Amir Johnson 51st 4.5 151st 0.692
            Jonas Valanciunas 73rd 3.8 93rd 1.078
            Patrick Patterson 95th 3.2 98th 1.030
            John Salmons 217th 1.4 317th 0.185
            Greivis Vasques 195th 1.7 130th 0.791
            Tyler Hansbrough 171st 2.1 163rd 0.660
            Chuck Hayes 254th 1 320th 0.175
            Steve Novak 279th 0.8 306th .213
            Landry Fields 330th 0.3 327th .048
            Also, all of the flaws that accompany WS (and more) also show up here. So, of course, Amir is underappreciated.
            Last edited by stooley; Thu Feb 27, 2014, 04:27 PM.
            "Bruno?
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              Another interesting filter might be to exclude players on rookie deals, since any contributing rookie will almost certainly fly up the list because of the salary rules related to rookie-scale deals. Those players are obviously going to command big raises from their current teams, once their initial rookie deal is up.

I'm sure these types of comparative analyses are used when determining how much to re-sign rookies for. A reasonable fair market salary maintains the players' value, as far a contribution per dollar. However, overpaying could see a player tumble down this list, decreasing his relative value.

It would be tricky to filter, unless you go through and have a column to indicate Y/N for rookie-scale contract - you could probably go by draft year, but it would take some work to go through player-by-player.

Nice work!
              That's a tougher filter to throw on. I can probably do it, but it'll have to wait until I get home. I've become quite proficient with excel after messing around with this for long enough
              "Bruno?
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

So next year Paul George will be making $13.7M. If he maintains his WS of 8.7 his WS/$mill would be 0.635.

So DD at $9.5M and a WS of 6.1 is a better value

Comment

That's a tougher filter to throw on. I can probably do it, but it'll have to wait until I get home. I've become quite proficient with excel after messing around with this for long enough
                  Completely understandable. I just think it would also be interesting to see how players compare excluding rookies, since those rookies will have big salary increases within a couple seasons.

One great example of this is DeRozan:

2013-14: WS/$ = 0.642

Had he still been on the rookie deal he was on last season, when he was making roughly $3.3M, his WS/$ would be around 1.85.

Since DeRozan is in his first season off his rookie deal, his WS/$ number takes a hit, whereas a player like Ross enjoys an inflated value thanks to still being on his rookie deal.

Comment

Best value contracts with a minimum of 5 WS and sorting out rookie contracts as best i can:

1. Kyle Lowry
                    Robin Lopez
                    Goran Dragic
                    Stephen Curry
                    Wesley Matthews
                    George Hill
                    Kevin Durant
                    Kevin Love
                    Deandre Jordan

10. Trevor Ariza
                    Marcin Gortat
                    Mike Conley
                    Joakim Noah
                    14. Demar Derozan
                    James Harden
                    Lebron James
                    Blake Griffin
                    Serge Ibaka
                    David West

20. Nicolas Batum
                    David Lee
                    Pekovic
                    Chris Paul
                    Lamarcus Aldridge
                    Camelo Anthony
                    Roy Hibbert
                    Dirk Nowitzki
                    Dwight Howard
                    Chris Bosh
                    Last edited by stooley; Thu Feb 27, 2014, 04:43 PM.
                    "Bruno?
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Nice list. I think one of the tricky things about this analysis is that incremental wins above the league mean are much harder to obtain. ie. Lebron's seventh through tenth win shares are much more valuable because he is a certain number of standard deviations above the mean. To obtain a better true value ranking, you may wish to go $/standard deviation and see what that produces.

On a side note, I expect Kyle Lowry to hit fourth overall in win shares in the next week or two, behind KD/Love/Lebron. He should pass Blake and Steph and then I think we're going to start finally seeing a flurry of love for him in the media.

I just wonder how his excellence is going to affect his contract status this summer. Now would be an excellent time to start using the Jurassic Park technique of making him lysine-dependent so he can't leave the city.

Comment

Nice work, stooley. Very interesting take.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          Nice list. I think one of the tricky things about this analysis is that incremental wins above the league mean are much harder to obtain. ie. Lebron's seventh through tenth win shares are much more valuable because he is a certain number of standard deviations above the mean. To obtain a better true value ranking, you may wish to go $/standard deviation and see what that produces.

On a side note, I expect Kyle Lowry to hit fourth overall in win shares in the next week or two, behind KD/Love/Lebron. He should pass Blake and Steph and then I think we're going to start finally seeing a flurry of love for him in the media.

I just wonder how his excellence is going to affect his contract status this summer. Now would be an excellent time to start using the Jurassic Park technique of making him lysine-dependent so he can't leave the city.
                          One of the biggest problems about this stat is just all the flaws that accompany WS in the first place. I also have PER and a bunch of others that I could calculate if people want.

One interesting thing that this stat does show is that the best value contracts are generally max-contracts for 'transcendent players' or minimum contracts.
                          This is the path that a lot of GMs have been either trying to take or taking lately.

Once you leave those two categories, the difference in contract value is so tiny that it doesn't really make a huge difference. Generally players are fairly well priced by the market, with a few exceptions.
                          I'd imagine intangibles like chemistry, rim protection, fit and style all become more important if you aren't nailing those ultra-value guys.

The reason why I brought up summing salaries to 62 million in the original post is to simulate building a team.

You want a few max contract guys to fill out the cap and to surround them with the best value, most efficient contracts out there.
                          "Bruno?
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

One of the biggest problems about this stat is just all the flaws that accompany WS in the first place. I also have PER and a bunch of others that I could calculate if people want.

One interesting thing that this stat does show is that the best value contracts are generally max-contracts for 'transcendent players' or minimum contracts.
                            This is the path that a lot of GMs have been either trying to take or taking lately.

Once you leave those two categories, the difference in contract value is so tiny that it doesn't really make a huge difference. Generally players are fairly well priced by the market, with a few exceptions.
                            I'd imagine intangibles like chemistry, rim protection, fit and style all become more important if you aren't nailing those ultra-value guys.

The reason why I brought up summing salaries to 62 million in the original post is to simulate building a team.

You want a few max contract guys to fill out the cap and to surround them with the best value, most efficient contracts out there.
                            It definitely speaks volumes about the impact of building through the draft and being able to make the right pick in the draft. The biggest bang for your buck is high-impact players on rookie-scale contracts, which also provides maximum flexibility to build a roster around those types of players.

Not only does this type of analysis provide a comparison of players, it also provides a comparison of GMs. For example, which GMs are able to lockup high quality players at/below market value VS GMs who overpay for their production? That could be an interesting study, that would require a ton of additional research.
                            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Feb 27, 2014, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Best value contracts with a minimum of 5 WS and sorting out rookie contracts as best i can:

1. Kyle Lowry
                              Robin Lopez
                              Goran Dragic
                              Stephen Curry
                              Wesley Matthews
                              George Hill
                              Kevin Durant
                              Kevin Love
                              Deandre Jordan

10. Trevor Ariza
                              Marcin Gortat
                              Mike Conley
                              Joakim Noah
                              14. Demar Derozan
                              James Harden
                              Lebron James
                              Blake Griffin
                              Serge Ibaka
                              David West

20. Nicolas Batum
                              David Lee
                              Pekovic
                              Chris Paul
                              Lamarcus Aldridge
                              Camelo Anthony
                              Roy Hibbert
                              Dirk Nowitzki
                              Dwight Howard
                              Chris Bosh
                              This is proof of what we have known for a long time:

Demar > LeBron

I am also surprised to not see a single Spur on that list.

Comment

Working...
                              X