What to do with Greivis Vasquez?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with Greivis Vasquez?

I hate to make a reactionary thread, but nobody on the Raptors has me up and down as much as Greivis Vasquez. Tonight was a great example (though I've had these thoughts for a while). He can make some big shots and run the pick and roll beautifully. But he also gives it all back with poor defense and shot selection. Still, he's a huge upgrade on Augustine/Stone/Buycks and is an above average backup PG, but I cringe whenever he gets extended minutes. It seems like he looks for his shot first, rather than trying to run the offense.

The team is thin on the wing, so I think we'll see a lot of Lowry/Vasquez units down the stretch and during the playoffs. Hopefully the coaching staff is working with him to reign in his shot selection and make better decisions. I've had these thoughts for a while, I'm curious to see how other's view Vasquez. Am I being too critical/reactionary?

No, your view is justifiable for the most part. He's a really up and down player. His spark pretty much singlehandedly got us back into the game in the late 3rd and 4th quarter. His decisions also helped us lose the game later on. And he's been pretty inconsistent in general. Some games hot, some games ice cold.

Comment

I've always felt that if you don't have a younger PG you're grooming to start or whatever you should have a stready, consistent backup. The second unit needs a steady hand.

Vasquez hasn't really impressed me tbh. He seems like a great guy and everything but I dunno. I wouldn't re-sign him.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

If he asks too much money - let him go. He can't guard anyone.

Comment

hes basically the new alan anderson effect on the team

Comment

Hes AA in a PG's body! he comes in and just chucks up garbage and when it goes in he celebrates like he won the lottery! I dont get this guy loool he plays soo bad and sooo good theres no medium with him
            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

I would rather find a back-up later in the draft who is a defensive high energy force whom we can develop on the offensive side as the years go by

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                If he asks too much money - let him go. He can't guard anyone.
                This.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Too inconsistent for my liking. I agree with the AA comparison.

Negatives outweigh the positives in a game like tonight. Doesn't matter what you do beforehand if you can finish it off (or at least end on a positive note). The two turnovers at the end in particular cost us the game.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Hahah glad I wasn't the only one!

Comment

MU got De Colo to replace GV… I'll be surprised if comes back.

Comment

^^ exactly De colo is gonna take GV's position next year
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

GV is a backup point guard in this league so I think he is suited to that role and him getting $3 million dollars qualifying offer (as per hoopshype) ain't the worst thing in the world. John Salmons has a team option of $7 million dollars next year which I think that is where the Raptors can save money and not keep him (earn your salary in 2014 Landry Field!)

Also FYI De Colo is a free agent after this season being a second rounder that only signed a 2 year contract in 2012, so given he isn't getting any meaningful minutes in the NBA, its more likely he will return to Europe and be payed better and be a starter there.

Comment

Yeah the Anderson comparison is on the money. Not only does he come in and chuck up stuff sometimes, but when he's playing extended minutes with Lowry he's also taking up some minutes that I want to see go to Ross, like Anderson was doing last year.

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
                              Yeah the Anderson comparison is on the money. Not only does he come in and chuck up stuff sometimes, but when he's playing extended minutes with Lowry he's also taking up some minutes that I want to see go to Ross, like Anderson was doing last year.
                              Then its the coach that is to blame not GV.

Comment

Working...
                              X