No announcement yet.

Colangelo admits to trying to tank at Sloan Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hated BCC when he was running the show here. After this comment, I hate him more than ever. Possible more than Babcock.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
      Well by him admitting this I'm pretty sure nobody is gonna hire him as a GM
      Are you kidding? Which mediocre team doesn't want a GM that will tank when appropriate? If they don't hire him it's because he was so ineffective at tanking that he ended up with only the 8th pick.

Comment

How is this worthy of two pages of posts. who cars if he "admitted" to tanking...as if it is a crime you have to "admit". Call it what you want to make you feel better.... call it rebuilding, developing, retooling, whatever...... all franchises must do it in all sports at some point.

Comment

Who cares that BC was finally the one guy to verbalize that he just wasn't that interested in winning in a given year?

Last summer Philly traded an all star for a pick and a rookie who will play exactly 0 minutes this season, and then moved most of their other established players at the deadline for virtually nothing that will help this season. Golden State players have admitted to being held out of games when they were healthy in 2012 as the team desperately tried to sink down the standings so their pick landed in it's protections. Teams like Orlando and New Orleans took packages of young players + picks over established NBA talent when they traded their superstars away. The list goes on and on. Them admitting it before, during or after the fact really changes nothing.

A handful of teams tank EVERY SINGLE YEAR... we know this. It's a fact. It's like we're more outraged that he admitted it than we are with the actual tanking, and that doesn't make any sense to me.
          Last edited by Fully; Sat Mar 1, 2014, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
            Who cares that BC was finally the one guy to verbalize that he just wasn't that interested in winning in a given year?

Last summer Philly traded an all star for a pick and a rookie who will play exactly 0 minutes this season, and then moved most of their other established players at the deadline for virtually nothing that will help this season. Golden State players have admitted to being held out of games when they were healthy in 2012 as the team desperately tried to sink down the standings so their pick landed in it's protections. Teams like Orlando and New Orleans took packages of young players + picks over established NBA talent when they traded their superstars away. The list goes on and on. Them admitting it before, during or after the fact really changes nothing.

A handful of teams tank EVERY SINGLE YEAR... we know this. It's a fact. It's like we're more outraged that he admitted it than we are with the actual tanking, and that doesn't make any sense to me.
            It's interesting that he made the admission under such a bright light, and so boldly. I'm curious as to what his angle is.

Plus, there's the added hilarity (as several other has pointed out) that he couldn't even tank right.
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
              It's interesting that he made the admission under such a bright light, and so boldly. I'm curious as to what his angle is.

Plus, there's the added hilarity (as several other has pointed out) that he couldn't even tank right.
              This seems like classic BC to me. Blatant and calculated tanking is much more of a new school concept, so BC probably thought he was registering some 'cool points' by admitting it so casually in a room full of 'analytics' guys.

It reminds me when Colangelo spilled the beans to Grantland about the team's super forward thinking analytics software and program. As always, the man lacks self awareness. He's as desperate to appear successful as he is for actual success.

And the fact that he supposedly tried to tank and failed isn't all that surprising either. He makes the short list for worst GM of the past decade. He should have cashed in Bargnani's career-high stock that season if he was really invested in bottoming out... but we all know his relationship with that guy.
              Last edited by Fully; Sat Mar 1, 2014, 01:56 PM.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post

I've been thinking the exact same thing. I still don't know how Colangelo's admittance benefits him at all.

Comment

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/...ttee-1.1244362

He may still be on the competition committee.

If I remember correctly tanking was an issue Colangelo had stated that he wish was addressed through this committee.

Sounds like they have a plan.

Comment

DirtyMikeSeaver wrote: View Post
                    That's hilarious. Some points:

1. Colangelo pointed out that the victory essentially kept the Raptors “from a coin flip for Damian Lillard potentially.” Umm... considering their best player is Kyle Lowry, who's a point guard and they were willing to over pay for Steve Nash, who's a point guard, is very funny.

2. Others have made this point, but Terrence Ross is their best perimeter defender. Plus, while that was the Anthony Davis draft, it's not like the ones drafted in front of Ross are doing gangbusters. And I'm a fan of Harrison Barnes.

3. They STILL had the chance to draft the 2nd or 3rd best player (Andre Drummond) and they passed.

One day, there will be a book written on how bad that GM was with the Raptors.
                    Hindsight is 20/20 my friend
                    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

I don't see any problem with him that admitting to tanking or rebuilding. As he said, they weren't intentionally losing games. But just the irony that he failed to tank properly. He gave up that late 1st rounder for james johnson, which could have been Corey Joseph, Chandler Parsons, or Norris Cole.

He did great in Phoenix and no doubt he has eye for talent, but he stagnated Toronto. He tried to do well but it just wasn't working. At least we got Masai.

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                        Hindsight is 20/20 my friend
                        It's not about hindsight. This is about a guy who screwed up his time here and wants to do everything but put the blame on himself. To sit and talk about this team missing out on Damian Lillard when no one and their mother thought Lillard would be this AND the fact that everyone assumed that he would make a huge run at Nash (and that he was enamored with Kyle Lowry) is rich, because there's was about a zero percent chance he was coming here. The Raptors, if memory serves correct, wanted Harrison Barnes or Dion Waiters. And he made a point of not going after Andre Drummond because "he didn't have the right mental makeup". And you can't even use the "He had Valanciunas" excuse, because wins weren't important at the time, assets were.

I'm not saying he was a bad guy, he didn't do anything horrible. He did a good job in Phoenix (although $65 million to Marcus Banks and Q Rich never gets brought up), but he was terrible here.

Comment

SHUT THE FUCK UP.

lets just SHUT THE FUCK up about all this nonsense and get to the real issue......

who the FUCK comes up with "Dirty Mike Seaver"?????????????????????

You Sir..... are ok in my books.

As for this thread..... oh m fuck..... no really guys, stop..... its a stupid thread.

Comment

(although $65 million to Marcus Banks and Q Rich never gets brought up), but he was terrible here.
                            in his defence, that was when everyone was high on banks.

talk about where are they now though eh????

Comment

It's not about hindsight. This is about a guy who screwed up his time here and wants to do everything but put the blame on himself. To sit and talk about this team missing out on Damian Lillard when no one and their mother thought Lillard would be this AND the fact that everyone assumed that he would make a huge run at Nash (and that he was enamored with Kyle Lowry) is rich, because there's was about a zero percent chance he was coming here. The Raptors, if memory serves correct, wanted Harrison Barnes or Dion Waiters. And he made a point of not going after Andre Drummond because "he didn't have the right mental makeup". And you can't even use the "He had Valanciunas" excuse, because wins weren't important at the time, assets were.

I'm not saying he was a bad guy, he didn't do anything horrible. He did a good job in Phoenix (although $65 million to Marcus Banks and Q Rich never gets brought up), but he was terrible here.
                              ^^^^^^^ DING DING DING
                              Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner!!!!!!
                              Shut this thread down! DirtyMikeSeaver has spoken the truth!
                              No need to talk about this idiot Bryan Colangelo!!!!!
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                                ^^^^^^^ DING DING DING
                                Ladies and Gentlemen we have a winner!!!!!!
                                Shut this thread down! DirtyMikeSeaver has spoken the truth!
                                No need to talk about this idiot Bryan Colangelo!!!!!
                                Such bullshit.

dude said NOBODY was banking on DL....... thats horseshit. Lots of people were. He wa sa steal where he landed..... and had he come to toronto that would have been christmas. You calling BC an idiot...saying ding ding....STFU man, youre talking out your ass.

Sheeeit.

Saying the raps wanted barnes or waiters....fuck the fuck off...... asif he knows who toronto wanted..... but I kow who did know...bryan effin colangelo.

why do you guys always hate on people. Hate on BC, claim he lies now to do what?????? what doe she gain lying??????

zero.

FUCK

please get it sorted boys

Comment

Working...
                                X