No announcement yet.

Colangelo admits to trying to tank at Sloan Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whether he does or doesn't get another GM gig would have zero to do with his comments and evrything to do with his track record. People seem to think tanking is some dirty little secret. It's not.

The NBA's president of basketball operations, Rod Thorn, acknowledges that losing games in the name of better draft picks -- commonly known as "tanking" -- is "definitely a strategy" for front offices.

"I don't look at it as tanking," Thorn told ESPN.com during an interview for TrueHoop TV record on the Friday of All-Star weekend in New Orleans. "I look at it as I don't want to be at this level here. I may have to get worse to be good. It's definitely a strategy and more and more teams are looking at it."
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
      Really? B.C tanked to draft Terrence Ross? Hahaha this guy is even bad @ tanking! You don't tank for the 8th pick! It has to be at least top 5
      The Raptors were garbage that year, the lock-out shortened season. They had the seventh worst record at 23-43. Unfortunately, other teams were also tanking and it came down to beating Atlanta (a playoff team) twice in April, Ben Uzoh's triple double in the last game of the season etc.

The Wizards had the second worst record at 20-46, underscoring the cluster of teams within one or two losses of each other. During that year, the Nets were overtly tanking so they could keep the pick they conveyed to Portland and GSW shut down Bogut and Curry in a blatant attempt to tank (both teams finished below Toronto, how's that for karma).

Ultimately, tanking is a risky crap shoot.

If you want to fault BC for anything, it should be that he didn't see the tank through. He got impatient with the rebuild and wanted immediate results (likely to save his job). It takes several years to successfully "tank". But tanking can also go wrong if the ping pong balls don't fall your way.
      Last edited by Jack_Bauer; Fri Feb 28, 2014, 09:28 PM.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        Colangelo was on a panel today discussing basketball analytics with SVG, Lowe, Steve Kerr, Brad Stevens and Mike Zarren. I watched the 2013 panel discussing a similar topic (great watch if you have the time).

His comment about tanking is fine (he's not working so should have no problem publicly admitting what he was trying to do). What's more interesting is that he's actually on a panel talking about analytics when he had guys like Bargnani and Gay on his roster.
        Do you have a link?

Comment

Colangelo was on a panel today discussing basketball analytics with SVG, Lowe, Steve Kerr, Brad Stevens and Mike Zarren. I watched the 2013 panel discussing a similar topic (great watch if you have the time).

His comment about tanking is fine (he's not working so should have no problem publicly admitting what he was trying to do). What's more interesting is that he's actually on a panel talking about analytics when he had guys like Bargnani and Gay on his roster.
          If only somebody had asked him to explain why the Raps got so much better without Gay.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
            Whether he does or doesn't get another GM gig would have zero to do with his comments and evrything to do with his track record. People seem to think tanking is some dirty little secret. It's not.

The NBA's president of basketball operations, Rod Thorn, acknowledges that losing games in the name of better draft picks -- commonly known as "tanking" -- is "definitely a strategy" for front offices.

"I don't look at it as tanking," Thorn told ESPN.com during an interview for TrueHoop TV record on the Friday of All-Star weekend in New Orleans. "I look at it as I don't want to be at this level here. I may have to get worse to be good. It's definitely a strategy and more and more teams are looking at it."
            Adam Silver flat-out denied that tanking exists in the NBA. Also, that quote from Rod Thorn reads much more strongly in print and out of context. If you watch the actual video, he comes off as much less forthright.
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
              Adam Silver flat-out denied that tanking exists in the NBA. Also, that quote from Rod Thorn reads much more strongly in print and out of context. If you watch the actual video, he comes off as much less forthright.
              Adam Silver denied that coaches or players intentionally lose.
              "Bruno?
              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Was he drinking? Or did all the stats talk befuddle him. I'd like to see the full context he made those comments in but it is a shocking admission on the face of it. Is he going to get another gig...and if he does with a crappy team and they are doing badly...imagine this coming up in interviews. lol.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                  Which is true- but leaves out the GM's, who are the architects of the tank
                  @Boymusic66

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post

"My understanding of 'tanking' would be losing games on purpose, and there's absolutely no evidence that any team in the NBA has ever lost a single game — or certainly in any time that I've been in the league — on purpose," Silver said during a media conference with reporters at Smoothie King Center.

However, the understanding of pretty well anyone else who uses the word is vastly different.
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

So he tanked in the year we got Ross? what? lol

Comment

Jack_Bauer wrote: View Post
                        Do you have a link?
                        The video for the 2014 analytics panel is not up.. I'm hoping it will be up by next week sometime (after the conference ends). The link to their website can be found here: http://www.sloansportsconference.com/

Here is the 2013 panel discussion (again great discussion but is over an hour long):

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                          So he tanked in the year we got Ross? what? lol
                          Then he decided, I'm done tanking!
                          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

That's hilarious. Some points:

1. Colangelo pointed out that the victory essentially kept the Raptors “from a coin flip for Damian Lillard potentially.” Umm... considering their best player is Kyle Lowry, who's a point guard and they were willing to over pay for Steve Nash, who's a point guard, is very funny.

2. Others have made this point, but Terrence Ross is their best perimeter defender. Plus, while that was the Anthony Davis draft, it's not like the ones drafted in front of Ross are doing gangbusters. And I'm a fan of Harrison Barnes.

3. They STILL had the chance to draft the 2nd or 3rd best player (Andre Drummond) and they passed.

One day, there will be a book written on how bad that GM was with the Raptors.

Comment

The video for the 2014 analytics panel is not up.. I'm hoping it will be up by next week sometime (after the conference ends). The link to their website can be found here: http://www.sloansportsconference.com/

Here is the 2013 panel discussion (again great discussion but is over an hour long):

Do you have a link or summary of the proposal they were discussing? My google skills are failing me

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                                He was very lawyerly-vague with his words. As 3inthekeon wrote, Silver said:

"My understanding of 'tanking' would be losing games on purpose, and there's absolutely no evidence that any team in the NBA has ever lost a single game — or certainly in any time that I've been in the league — on purpose,"

You can apply this statement to owners, GMs, coaches, players - everyone.

Apparently it's breaking actual NBA rules for any team to ever lose a game on purpose. Including at the organizational level. If someone really wanted to make a stink about, there could possibly be actual legal repercussions to what, for eg, Philly is doing this year.

So, everyone toes the company line and denies tanking exists.

(Except BC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hahahahahah)
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X