Clear All

• 3 point shooting in nba

Look at this...

2014 there were 21.25 threes taken per game
    2004 there were 14.92 threes taken per game
    1994 there were 9.8 threes taken per game
    1984 there were 2.37 threes taken per game

It is pretty amazing if you compare decade averages

Anyone have any idea why there is such a substantial increase in 3 point shooting in the NBA?
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Because it gets you more points lol
    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

If you're a good enough 3 point shooter it can be even more efficient than shooting in the paint. A 40% 3 point shooter is getting as many points as a 60% 2 point shooter

Comment

well common sense tells you that the 3 point shot was introduced to the nba in the 80s so obviously not that many would be attempted at the beginning. then people got better followed by analytics pushing it even more now.

Comment

Spacing. And the analytics prefer it over long 2's. Defence has gotten tighter over the years and the three pointer is critical for allowing room to maneuver in the paint.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Rumour is that the NBA is considering a 4 point shot in the future too. Further stretch the defence out, add strategic wrinkles, and better space players that are larger than previous eras while playing on the same sized court.

Just like when the 3 was introduced, there wouldn't likely be a barrage of 4's attempted, but over the years, the game would evolve.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
              Rumour is that the NBA is considering a 4 point shot in the future too. Further stretch the defence out, add strategic wrinkles, and better space players that are larger than previous eras while playing on the same sized court.

Just like when the 3 was introduced, there wouldn't likely be a barrage of 4's attempted, but over the years, the game would evolve.
              I really don't like that idea to be honest. While I think the 3 point line is necessary, I don't love how it distorts the value of certain positions on the court. Ideally, you would increase the value in further distances, without lowering the value of the mid range game.

I think more rules takes away from the simple beauty of the game.
              "Bruno?
              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

that 'rumour' was just some random shit posted by ESPN, which then got spread around. tim frank already said there have been no real discussions about it.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                  that 'rumour' was just some random shit posted by ESPN, which then got spread around. tim frank already said there have been no real discussions about it.
                  Not exactly.

"NBA president of basketball operations Rod Thorn and vice president Kiki Vandeweghe acknowledged in a recent interview with ESPN.com that the league office, at least in an exploratory fashion, has weighed expanding the dimensions of the court and the introduction of a 4-point shot."

NBA people talked about it "in an exploratory fashion", it just wasn't a serious discussion at this point.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                    I really don't like that idea to be honest. While I think the 3 point line is necessary, I don't love how it distorts the value of certain positions on the court. Ideally, you would increase the value in further distances, without lowering the value of the mid range game.

I think more rules takes away from the simple beauty of the game.
                    I would rather they just expand the size of the court, but at this point, they should look at all options.

I think the bold is kinda funny since basketball is either #1 or #2 in terms of the pure quantity of rules (football is right up there).

Comment

I would rather they just expand the size of the court, but at this point, they should look at all options.

I think the bold is kinda funny since basketball is either #1 or #2 in terms of the pure quantity of rules (football is right up there).
                      Yeah, I know. Basketball sits ahead of baseball and football, but has more rules than hockey and soccer.

I love the consistent pressure situations that basketball creates through individual possessions. I'm a racket sports guy, and basketball kinda reproduces that point by point pressure.

I think if anything needs to be changed it's the amalgamation of some rules. Either more refs are needed, or rules need to be clearer to call.
                      "Bruno?
                      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Yeah, the numbers are explained by the rise in analytical coaching/scouting methods. The 3 point shot has become less of an initial fad, and much more of a tactical weapon.

Comment

I would rather they just made the three point line further out/ expanded the court a bit as mentioned above, instead of making a four point line. I love the three point shot, but I also love every other scoring skill as well. The post up ( described as highly inefficient by the anayltics crowd), mid range game Etc etc. Hopefully it doesn't keep going up and up, but I think it probably will.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Yeah, the numbers are explained by the rise in analytical coaching/scouting methods. The 3 point shot has become less of an initial fad, and much more of a tactical weapon.
                            I like any post that can use "tactical weapon" in a sentence properly.

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
                              I would rather they just made the three point line further out/ expanded the court a bit as mentioned above, instead of making a four point line. I love the three point shot, but I also love every other scoring skill as well. The post up ( described as highly inefficient by the anayltics crowd), mid range game Etc etc. Hopefully it doesn't keep going up and up, but I think it probably will.
                              Really? I've never heard this before.

You'd think the analytics crowd would conclude that the closer you are to the basket, the higher your FG% would be. Are teams better at sending double teams? Are players just poor post players these days?

Comment

Working...
                              X