The Ujiri-Vasquez connection runs deep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roarque wrote: View Post
    Can defense be taught? Is defense a team effort thing? I don't believe that you can take a defensive genius like Amir and make him a best in class three point shooter but the Raptors are trying and now Amir is hitting some jumpers at the elbow. So, can Vasquez add defense to his skill set. The guy has handles and can score the ball - now can he be taught defense. He seems to want to learn and Dwane's a good teacher.
    He should be able to become a passable defender.

I mean, he lacks the footspeed to be a stopper.

But if he really cares, he can at least get to average, right?
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post

Almost anyone can be a passable defender. Defence is largely based on effort. If you don't have the foot speed, you have to adjust but it's still largely effort. Look at how well Delleadova harassed GV in the Cavs game last week. He isn't athlete of the year material, but he put a ton of effort into it and helped harass a bigger, better player.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post

Someone posted the panel from last year's Sloan Conference, and Stan Van Gundy talks about this a bit in regards to J.J. Redick. While all the statistics state that J.J. Redick is a very bad individual defender, much like Vasquez (both guys really lack lateral quickness and can get beat off the dribble), Van Gundy still strongly believed that a team could be solid defensively with him on the floor. The reason? He's a smart player, and a hard worker. While Redick will never be a "stopper", he will ice a Jamal Crawford baseline, and rotate properly to contest a Kyle Korver. This is how Vasquez can contribute on that side of the ball.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
          Someone posted the panel from last year's Sloan Conference, and Stan Van Gundy talks about this a bit in regards to J.J. Redick. While all the statistics state that J.J. Redick is a very bad individual defender, much like Vasquez (both guys really lack lateral quickness and can get beat off the dribble), Van Gundy still strongly believed that a team could be solid defensively with him on the floor. The reason? He's a smart player, and a hard worker. While Redick will never be a "stopper", he will ice a Jamal Crawford baseline, and rotate properly to contest a Kyle Korver. This is how Vasquez can contribute on that side of the ball.
          Well said! I agree completely. Someone like Terrence Ross has elite level potential (having guarded some of the best in the NBA all season long, and having shown signs of brilliance), but a guy like GV can still be part of a strong defensive unit while on the court. He simply has to understand what to do and what not to do, and play within the defensive system.

Well said
          I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
          -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

Working...
          X