Everything Kyle Lowry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished this piece.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Been seeing a lot of top 10 PG lists and most have Lowry at 8 or 9. Seeing that makes me mentally snap. But then again, Lowry is the Chauncey Billups of his era.
      Axel wrote:
      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
      KeonClark wrote:
      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
      KeonClark wrote:
      I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
        Been seeing a lot of top 10 PG lists and most have Lowry at 8 or 9. Seeing that makes me mentally snap. But then again, Lowry is the Chauncey Billups of his era.
        People who do those lists often aren't very knowledgeable.

I posted some Nate Duncan comments about a week or 2 ago, and he had Kyle and Giannis as pretty well the best players (not PG's, players)in the East thus far. He also had Kyle as a Top 10 NBA player last year. So did Zach Lowe who had him alongside Chris Paul as 2nd Team All NBA, behind only Curry and Westbrook.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Been seeing a lot of top 10 PG lists and most have Lowry at 8 or 9. Seeing that makes me mentally snap. But then again, Lowry is the Chauncey Billups of his era.
          Competition is getting tight, though. Curry, Westbrook, Paul, and Lillard finished ahead of him in All-NBA last year, people are probably adding Harden and Giannis to their lists this year?

I would still argue for Lowry in the top 5.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
            People who do those lists often aren't very knowledgeable.

I posted some Nate Duncan comments about a week or 2 ago, and he had Kyle and Giannis as pretty well the best players (not PG's, players)in the East thus far. He also had Kyle as a Top 10 NBA player last year. So did Zach Lowe who had him alongside Chris Paul as 2nd Team All NBA, behind only Curry and Westbrook.
            Of course, excluding lebron. And overall play I'd put lowry ahead of Giannis. The Greek is great but he's still raw, he plays like a young man who isn't ready to win in the playoffs but puts up great numbers (see towns, Karl anthony; embiid, joel) whereas lowrys is a legit east mvp candidate
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I think a lot of the lack of recognition for Lowry comes from those who don't watch him play every game, because his impact isn't always flashy, nor does it always show up on the stat sheet. He isn't always the top scorer and even when he is one of the top two scorers, the context of how and when he gets his buckets is lost in the stats. He does so many little things within a game, whether it's taking charge to stepping up his defense, setting up a hot teammate or pickup up his own scoring to change the momentum of a game, but all of that is lost on the causal (or non) viewer.

Lillard and Irving were two examples last season who had similar or better stats, yet Lowry seemed to get the better of them head-to-head, and arguably was the better all around player. However, when you look at stats, flashiness and name recognition south of the border, it's really no surprise that Lowry so often takes a backseat to them when it comes time for rankings, awards, etc...

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                I think a lot of the lack of recognition for Lowry comes from those who don't watch him play every game, because his impact isn't always flashy, nor does it always show up on the stat sheet. He isn't always the top scorer and even when he is one of the top two scorers, the context of how and when he gets his buckets is lost in the stats. He does so many little things within a game, whether it's taking charge to stepping up his defense, setting up a hot teammate or pickup up his own scoring to change the momentum of a game, but all of that is lost on the causal (or non) viewer.

Lillard and Irving were two examples last season who had similar or better stats, yet Lowry seemed to get the better of them head-to-head, and arguably was the better all around player. However, when you look at stats, flashiness and name recognition south of the border, it's really no surprise that Lowry so often takes a backseat to them when it comes time for rankings, awards, etc...
                South of the border he also takes a back seat to our own derozan. I heard c Webb call derozan an mvp candidate last night, and derozan is the one on all the mvp ladders and all star votes.

Only the hardcore raps fans and hardcore media members like zach lowe know that kyle is the engine.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                  Competition is getting tight, though. Curry, Westbrook, Paul, and Lillard finished ahead of him in All-NBA last year, people are probably adding Harden and Giannis to their lists this year?

All NBA voting is done by a panel of sportswriters and broadcasters. Lilliard is somewhere between bad and awful as a defender, but how much does that impact the voters?

Kyle's problem is that his biggest defensive weaknesses are his size and perimeter defence. Thats what most people see, even on this board he gets criticized for his defense . But he constantly is one of the upper echelon defensive PG's because he's an extremely smart team defender, just not visible unless people break down game film and understand how defensive rotations are supposed to work. I think it was Just Is who posted a terrific defensive sequence of Lowry's from last years playoffs vs the Cavs, with multiple smart decisions that snuffed out a Cavs set play that had been killing us. Lowe and Vantage over the past couple of seasons also showed defensive sequences of Lowry's that highlighted his smarts.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                    All NBA voting is done by a panel of sportswriters and broadcasters. Lilliard is somewhere between bad and awful as a defender, but how much does that impact the voters?

Kyle's problem is that his biggest defensive weaknesses are his size and perimeter defence. Thats what most people see, even on this board he gets criticized for his defense . But he constantly is one of the upper echelon defensive PG's because he's an extremely smart team defender, just not visible unless people break down game film and understand how defensive rotations are supposed to work. I think it was Just Is who posted a terrific defensive sequence of Lowry's from last years playoffs vs the Cavs, with multiple smart decisions that snuffed out a Cavs set play that had been killing us. Lowe and Vantage over the past couple of seasons also showed defensive sequences of Lowry's that highlighted his smarts.
                    Yeah, that one was me. Even in the context of watching the game, the only thought was Lowry being in turned the game around. It's the how that is very easily missed until you actually break down the tape and look.

Just Is wrote: View Post
                    Lost in all the praise for last night's win is what Lowry did in the 4th Quarter defensively to end Cleveland's line up of death.

http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2016/05/...lowry-defense/

"When the Raptors did get a stop almost seven minutes later, it was with DeMarre Carroll guarding James, Patterson guarding Jefferson and Biyombo guarding Frye in the corner — a combination better suited to contain their action. However, Kyle Lowry played the biggest role in blowing it up since his activity allowed his teammates to stay in position and cut off each of Cleveland’s options.

First, Lowry dropped back to the restricted area to prevent Jefferson from cutting to the basket. That took away the go-to option for the Cavaliers by allowing Patterson to follow Jefferson with a buffer. Then, Lowry chased Kyrie Irving out to the 3-point line and pressured him enough to take away the pick-and-roll option. That allowed Carroll to be physical with James and obstruct his vision. Lowry also recovered quickly to avoid getting beat backdoor, which would’ve resulted in an uncontested layup.

The Cavaliers had to freelance from there by running a pick-and-pop between Irving and Frye on the left wing, which ended in a miss. Biyombo switched onto Irving and Lowry did just enough to deter Frye from posting him up and forced him into a contested jump shot.

The Cavaliers struggled from that point on. After scoring 27 points in the opening seven minutes of the quarter, they scored just three points on 1-10 shooting in the final four minutes. More importantly for the Raptors — and rather surprisingly given it’s success — the Cavaliers didn’t run “Horns Rub” again thanks to Lowry’s hustle and perseverance on that one play. It may get buried because Lowry stole the show offensively with a game-high 35 points, but it was just another example of Toronto’s best player showing up when they needed him most. "

I've said this before but this guy needs to retire a Raptor.
                    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                      Ok serious question, when we're talking about elite PG's in the NBA, how come Lowry's name never comes up?

To me there are only 3 PG's that are clearly better than him RIGHT NOW and that's Curry, Westbrook and Harden.
                      Because the only time fans in the U.S. get to see him is in the playoffs while he's performing incredibly poorly. The more the Raptors make it to the playoffs and as his showings get better I think that perception will change.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                        Ok serious question, when we're talking about elite PG's in the NBA, how come Lowry's name never comes up?

To me there are only 3 PG's that are clearly better than him RIGHT NOW and that's Curry, Westbrook and Harden.
                        It's bullshit. And before somebody inevitably says "who cares what the us media says" we absolutely should care, because nba players care, and it effects where they want to play. Let me put it like this:

A tale of 3 cities: toronto, Milwaukee, chicago

Weather in the winter: all 3 are cold
                        Night life/stuff to do: toronto and chicago
                        Get attention from the us media: just chicage
                        Where players typically would be attracted to signing: just chicago

So clearly weather isn't a big factor. Hasn't bothered chicago, philly, new York etc. Toronto has big city appeal on par with Houston, Philly, chicago, golden state etc. So why are we lumped in with the Milwaukees, indys, and utahs? Simple. US media coverage.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Harden yes. Giannis no. More like Wall, Thomas, Kyrie..... and to some, even Kemba is better.
                          Axel wrote:
                          Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Harden yes. Giannis no. More like Wall, Thomas, Kyrie..... and to some, even Kemba is better.
                            Well, then "some" are stupid

Comment

• That foul he drew with his face on Green was the stuff legends are made of. He totally gamed him on that.

Comment

• Saw this on real gm. He leads the league in minutes per game now. Expect another shitty playoff performance?
                                "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Working...
                                X