No announcement yet.

Everything Kyle Lowry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any estimates on Lowry's trade value if we resign him and then look to shop him during the season?

Let's pretend he signs a 5/170 contract and stays healthy and plays well until trade deadline time. Let's assume Masai signs him to keep control of an asset but sees the ceiling and wants to get something back.

What does Lowry return in a trade in year 1 of an expensive 5 year contract if he's healthy and having another all star season?

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Lowry's body probably won't survive 5 years. That's why he'd be completely insane to accept a deal for less than the longest a team can offer him. I'd be blown away if he signed a short term deal.

Taking a 1+1 is done to give the player more control, at cost of security. At Lowry's age, and with his limited (relative to his all-NBA peers) earnings to date, there's basically no logic to him going that direction.
      I am curious is there any salary implications to kyle that arise by not making a all nba team as he did last year??
      I

Comment

• rightsideup wrote: View Post
        I am curious is there any salary implications to kyle that arise by not making a all nba team as he did last year??
        I
        Nope. Those salary implications are purely for designated players - players coming off their rookie scale deals, or players eligible for the supermax early (with 7-8 years experience instead of 10). Lowry is eligible for the supermax regardless of awards, because he has the 10+ years experience.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          I dunno. I'm not convinced there's a direct causation here. Like I said, banging an elbow on the floor isn't an injury of overuse.

The wrist injury could be, but midway through the season? And for a player that doesn't have a lot of career mileage under his belt like some other "stars" his age. Could just be that Lowry is injury prone.

I'm not a Casey apologist by any means, but considering the +/- numbers when Lowry's on the bench, I can't really blame Casey here.
          There have certainly been plenty of debates on this issue already but I'll summarize my thoughts in 3 simple points:

1. As the body fatigues, little things are more likely to occur. A fatigued player is more likely to end up on the floor for whatever reason than a rested player; so increase of "bumps" opportunities.

2. Straight minutes probabilities would suggest that a player playing more minutes would be more likely to be hurt or injured, even by freak circumstance.

3. Some of the best basketball minds such as Pop, Spoelstra, really believe in the benefit and they are brilliant basketball minds with a lot at stake - I trust their judgement over the likes of Casey or the board.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            1. As the body fatigues, little things are more likely to occur. A fatigued player is more likely to end up on the floor for whatever reason than a rested player; so increase of "bumps" opportunities.
            Makes sense. But I'm of the belief that a highly conditioned, 30 yr old pro athlete should, in theory, be able to play 35 mpg without reaching the point of fatigue. Especially one who cut a ton of weight over the past few seasons. But I admit that perhaps 35 mpg is beyond the point of Lowry's physiological limitations, regardless of conditioning level.

It's also a slippery slope, however. 32 minutes is less than 35, so should Lowry play 32 minutes? 27 minutes is even less. What about 20 mpg? How do we determine what that safe threshold is? We all have a different idea of where the on-court performance outweighs the risk of potential injury. For Casey, that threshold seems to be on the higher end (rightly or wrongly).

Axel wrote: View Post
            2. Straight minutes probabilities would suggest that a player playing more minutes would be more likely to be hurt or injured, even by freak circumstance.
            To avoid excessive straight minutes, maybe all Casey needs to do is adjust when he rests Lowry, rather than cutting his minutes in general. Possibly making better use of scheduled timeouts, and end of quarters (assuming you were talking about consecutive minutes).

Axel wrote: View Post
            3. Some of the best basketball minds such as Pop, Spoelstra, really believe in the benefit and they are brilliant basketball minds with a lot at stake - I trust their judgement over the likes of Casey or the board.

Last edited by Nilanka; Fri May 19, 2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Everything Kyle Lowry

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Makes sense. But I'm of the belief that a highly conditioned, 30 yr old pro athlete should, in theory, be able to play 35 mpg without reaching the point of fatigue. Especially one who cut a ton of weight over the past few seasons. But I admit that perhaps 35 mpg is beyond the point of Lowry's physiological limitations, regardless of conditioning level.

It's also a slippery slope, however. 32 minutes is less than 35, so should Lowry play 32 minutes? 27 minutes is even less. What about 20 mpg? How do we determine what that safe threshold is? We all have a different idea of where the on-court performance outweighs the risk of potential injury. For Casey, that threshold seems to be on the higher end (rightly or wrongly).

To avoid excessive straight minutes, maybe all Casey needs to do is adjust when he rests Lowry, rather than cutting his minutes in general. Possibly making better use of scheduled timeouts, and end of quarters (assuming you were talking about consecutive minutes).

Well the minutes risk vs on court production is a sliding scale - slide too far one way and the other suffers. I don't think we've seen ideal minutes for Lowry under Casey. Closer to 32 would be a good target and might help Lowry play at his best come play offs.

While Pop can certainly be wrong, he hasn't really been yet lol, so I'm willing to keep following that man, especially when his ideas jive with other rationale.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                Makes sense. But I'm of the belief that a highly conditioned, 30 yr old pro athlete should, in theory, be able to play 35 mpg without reaching the point of fatigue.
                Why 35?
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Seems like an appeal to a random, round number to me
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• The pull-up 3. I remember a discussion here a few years ago where we complained about the amount our guards were taking, since it's a low percentage shot.

Apparently it's not that simple and the use of the pull-up 3 has been steadily increasing. One very interesting sidebar - the more pull-up 3's you make, the better your team scores on the pick-and-roll.

As for Lowry - of all the leaders in pull up 3's, Lowry's 42% was the best.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page...a-kevin-pelton
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                      The pull-up 3. I remember a discussion here a few years ago where we complained about the amount our guards were taking, since it's a low percentage shot.

Apparently it's not that simple and the use of the pull-up 3 has been steadily increasing. One very interesting sidebar - the more pull-up 3's you make, the better your team scores on the pick-and-roll.

As for Lowry - of all the leaders in pull up 3's, Lowry's 42% was the best.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page...a-kevin-pelton
                      That's what made the playoffs so tough this year - even before he went down with the ankle, it didn't feel like he had that shot. Part of it was the blitzing, but his body also wasn't all there.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                        That's what made the playoffs so tough this year - even before he went down with the ankle, it didn't feel like he had that shot. Part of it was the blitzing, but his body also wasn't all there.
                        I have to believe that Casey and the rest of the coaching staff are going to be going over the playoff video from the last two years (at least) and identifying what has gone wrong. And then asking questions. If Lowry's pull up jumpers trended down in % makes, they should be asking why, and coming up with answers. We've seen years of regular season play not translating into the playoffs. This season they need to find answers. I am not sure how hard it will be to solve the puzzle, but it certainly doesn't seem to be difficult for other teams to solve the Raptors offense. The coaching staff has to do a better job.

Comment

• Last edited by GOLDBLUM; Thu Sep 7, 2017, 03:56 AM.

Comment

• Can't wait for a few more KLOE moments this season.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

The hand-eye coordination is amazing

Comment

• was at that miami game. lost my voice for days. barely remember that they lost. what a shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X