Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Raptors had their own NBDL team, where would you want to see it placed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Buffalo would be ideal geographically. They've had a team that has played in the ABA and now is in the PBL. But they have "A" level teams to compete with for fans, and at the moment play their home games in a school.

Another option might be Rochester. They also have a PBL team (also former ABA), and better yet, their team plays in a proper mid-size arena (can seat about 13,000), and has had some actual success contending in their league. Thus they may already have a good fanbase (not that I really know), and are in a city with no major sports so they don't compete against "A" league teams for fans. It's super close geographically, though a longer drive than Buffalo...
    Buffalo actually had a NBA team (Braves)...now the Clippers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Braves

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
      Buffalo actually had a NBA team (Braves)...now the Clippers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Braves
      Yeah....well I was focusing on present/recent history.

Comment

I wish they'd do it in the Atlantic but if they did make a team, it would probably be somewhere like London or Hamilton or a place in the GTA.
        A wise man once said: F*ck Brooklyn!

Comment

I would put my preferences in this order:

Buffalo
          Rochester
          Erie

Comment

GoldenBaller wrote: View Post
            I wish they'd do it in the Atlantic but if they did make a team, it would probably be somewhere like London or Hamilton or a place in the GTA.
            But can a D-League team survive in a Canadian city? This is the big question. Canadians really in general just care about one sport, and that sport overlaps with basketball's season. And then there are logistics issues. Can they get good enough venues by D-League standards? What about travel? It's already a minor hassle for NBA and teams travel in luxury...this isn't the case for DL.

Having it just south of the border makes a lot of sense to me. For visas, for travel (both within league and if called up), for venue/attendance (and thus likely for revenues)...
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Mar 12, 2014, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Mtl!!!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I would put my preferences in this order:

Buffalo
                Rochester
                Erie
                I'm kinda liking the idea of Rochester.
                -They have the perfect arena for a hopefully successful minor league team (capacity about 13,000+). Wouldn't expect sellouts, but even half-filling that arena is pretty good.
                -They are a minor league sports city, so no major league competition in the market.
                -And their current minor league team, a PBL team (used to be in ABA), has reached the finals in every year since forming in 2006, so interest in the sport could be high right now.

Comment

Hamilton area would be a good one as well as somewhere in Montreal/ Quebec City area

Comment

Everyone's on this kick about everyone getting their own farm team, how do you expect to fill a roster with 2 draft picks ayear?
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      Everyone's on this kick about everyone getting their own farm team, how do you expect to fill a roster with 2 draft picks ayear?
                      You don't. It doesn't have to be all prospects. Do you think every d-league team is filled only with draft picks as is? There are currently 17 d-league teams.

Comment

I really think every team should have their own D League affiliate for SO many reasons.

Ideally, I'd love a team somewhere like Montreal but given the travel issues (which would be a bigger problem with the D league), I like the idea of using Niagara Falls, Rochester or Buffalo.
                        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Would think a US based team would make more sense due to border issues with players (and work visas). Rochester/Buffalo make too much sense not to consider it. I believe the Jay's farm team is in Buffalo now, no?

Comment

Hamilton, they have a perfect place to play in Copps.

I like the idea of Buffalo as well.
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Montreal or Hamilton or Markham

Comment

or the tri cities.

Comment

Working...
                                X