Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Raptors had their own NBDL team, where would you want to see it placed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Raptors had their own NBDL team, where would you want to see it placed?

With the the NYK on board getting an NBDL franchise, I was thinking about Toronto getting one and where would be a good place to see the team play out of. Some where close enough that the front office can monitor the team easily, but far enough away to have it's own identity.

There seems to be a few teams located in the North East US, could a team in Moncton, or Halifax work? Would it ruin what the NBL Canada has going?
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Fredericton NB!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

London

Comment

Despite my obvious bias, I would have to say Montreal would be a great choice. It's a big market, has proven to be a good draw for sports/basketball, and is close to Toronto to facilitate quick call-ups.

Comment

Is the NBL of Canada going to be a sustainable league? I can't speak for the rest of the country but the attendance in Halifax has fizzled this year after being one of the league's "banner" franchises for the first few seasons. Much of this is because the team has struggled record-wise, but it's not like creditors and bill collectors care about that kind of thing.

There was some talk of the Halifax Rainmen becoming an NBDL affiliate before the Canadian league was developed. I can't remember exactly what happened at the time but I seem to recall that the time frame was too short in order to make a decision (i.e: the franchise needed a place to play within 3 months while the decision from the NBDL would have taken a year).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Despite my obvious bias, I would have to say Montreal would be a great choice. It's a big market, has proven to be a good draw for sports/basketball, and is close to Toronto to facilitate quick call-ups.
            Montreal was a first thought of mine as well...but it can be a funny city sometimes, they don't seem to support "B" league sports as they feel they should always have nothing but the best. This could be just my perception though. I am sure the players would like it better than the others mentioned.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

London ON

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                Montreal was a first thought of mine as well...but it can be a funny city sometimes, they don't seem to support "B" league sports as they feel they should always have nothing but the best. This could be just my perception though. I am sure the players would like it better than the others mentioned.
                They support "A" league sports in Montreal? ( **cough** , Expos, **cough**). And I thought they love the Alouettes - or has that changed? Strange sports town. You're definitely right about that.

Comment

Halifax almost had a D league team a couple years ago

Comment

Buffalo - due to location (1hr45min drive)
                    Erie - due to existing franchise (3hr30min drive)

I don't think having an NBA D-League team in Canada would work due to all the travel issues crossing the border and work visas etc. Maybe I'm wrong on that. Most of these guys are only making like $20-25K - aren't they?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

I don't think having an NBA D-League team in Canada would work due to all the travel issues crossing the border and work visas etc. Maybe I'm wrong on that. Most of these guys are only making like $20-25K - aren't they?
                      I suspect you are right about the travel hassle. They should be located in the East. Close enough for reasonable contact from the home office.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                        They support "A" league sports in Montreal? ( **cough** , Expos, **cough**). And I thought they love the Alouettes - or has that changed? Strange sports town. You're definitely right about that.
                        I count the Alouettes as an "A" league, it is the top football league available in Canada, not sure how they would feel with Toronto's leftovers on a NBDL team.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Buffalo would be ideal geographically. They've had a team that has played in the ABA and now is in the PBL. But they have "A" level teams to compete with for fans, and at the moment play their home games in a school.

Another option might be Rochester. They also have a PBL team (also former ABA), and better yet, their team plays in a proper mid-size arena (can seat about 13,000), and has had some actual success contending in their league. Thus they may already have a good fanbase (not that I really know), and are in a city with no major sports so they don't compete against "A" league teams for fans. It's super close geographically, though a longer drive than Buffalo...

Comment

I agree with buffalo/Rochester but what about somewhere in Connecticut? New haven or Hartford? Those guys are passionate and Id bet they're hungry for a home team to support
                            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                              I agree with buffalo/Rochester but what about somewhere in Connecticut? New haven or Hartford? Those guys are passionate and Id bet they're hungry for a home team to support
                              Connecticut is kinda far. Driving distance would be ideal if possible. Hartford is like an 8 hour drive.

It's also in between Boston and NY. So while both those cities have d-league affiliates, the Knicks especially could use one closer by (theirs is Erie right now). Boston uses Maine, and BKL uses Springfield (Mass).

And both Buffalo and Rochester have larger populations. While both being a very near drive to Toronto.

*I think being close to Toronto is obviously good. I also think being far from other NBA cities is better too, which makes the west of NY state ideal.

Comment

Working...
                              X