Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai should go after Paul Millsap, he's a perfect fit here (maybe more than Love)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KeonClark wrote: View Post
    People are seriously underrating pail millsap. One guy said he could back up for 2pat? This guy is the stat that could put us over the top. He's much better than David west.
    I'd say they are very comparable at their best. West is getting older though, he's already 33.

Which I guess is the question mark with Millsap as well. If he signs a new 4 year contract next summer, he will be 34 at the end of it. Small PFs historically don't seem to age well.

Anyway, I think Ujiri will have to sign someone in the next 3 years, and Millsap seems like a realistic option.

Comment

No point in trading for Millsap when he's a 9M expiring next year.

Why give up assets now when you can just go out and sign him in 2015 free agency?

Comment

I still think, with all respect to Derozan, that it would be easier to find an upgrade to our 3-spot rather than our 4-spot.

PF is a traditional position of strength for us, and we've always got good ones around (between Amir, Tyler and Patterson we are really solid this year, for instance).

Right now after Derozan and Ross, until Fields recovers (and/or Casey recovers his confidence in him), Salmons is the third wing off the bench. I'd much rather bring in an all-star wing, have Ross '3 and D' to complement him, and have Derozan be in the running for 6th man of the year.

Comment

Kuh wrote: View Post
          I still think, with all respect to Derozan, that it would be easier to find an upgrade to our 3-spot rather than our 4-spot.

PF is a traditional position of strength for us, and we've always got good ones around (between Amir, Tyler and Patterson we are really solid this year, for instance).

Right now after Derozan and Ross, until Fields recovers (and/or Casey recovers his confidence in him), Salmons is the third wing off the bench. I'd much rather bring in an all-star wing, have Ross '3 and D' to complement him, and have Derozan be in the running for 6th man of the year.
          I used to think that Demar would be a good 6th man, but now I think otherwise. A great 6th man wing is ideally someone who can create off the dribble better than Demar does IMO. Demar works best off the bounce using screens, in straight up one on one situations he is less than ideal, especially when he has to carry the offensive load and is expected to create for others. Take note of our offense when Casey subs in our bench with Demar. Demar just isn't as effective in that situation. He needs a great screener like Amir and is paired better with a more dominant ball handler like Lowry.

Other chemistry issues may be present as well (he plays less minutes with the bench players, and all are recent additions), but I don't view Demar as the Crawford or Ginobili type where you can sub him in, give him the ball and let him carry the offense. He's a great scorer, and his playmaking ability is improving, but he still needs the help to get free in order to shoot or pass, unless it's in the post or a total mismatch. Think about last nights game against the Pistons...Jennings would be a good 6th man as he can create his own shot from just about anywhere on the court. I wouldn't want Jennings, but that type of player is more suited to the role than Demar is IMO.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
            I used to think that Demar would be a good 6th man, but now I think otherwise. A great 6th man wing is ideally someone who can create off the dribble better than Demar does IMO. Demar works best off the bounce using screens, in straight up one on one situations he is less than ideal, especially when he has to carry the offensive load and is expected to create for others. Take note of our offense when Casey subs in our bench with Demar. Demar just isn't as effective in that situation. He needs a great screener like Amir and is paired better with a more dominant ball handler like Lowry.

Other chemistry issues may be present as well (he plays less minutes with the bench players, and all are recent additions), but I don't view Demar as the Crawford or Ginobili type where you can sub him in, give him the ball and let him carry the offense. He's a great scorer, and his playmaking ability is improving, but he still needs the help to get free in order to shoot or pass, unless it's in the post or a total mismatch. Think about last nights game against the Pistons...Jennings would be a good 6th man as he can create his own shot from just about anywhere on the court. I wouldn't want Jennings, but that type of player is more suited to the role than Demar is IMO.
            Plus it would never happen at this point. Defiant would be better utilized however as something of a 1b or 1c option like rip Hamilton in the p istons more recent heyday. Millsap would be perfect cause he's a go to guy offensively unlike Amir.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Derozan not defiant. Damn auto correct

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                Derozan not defiant. Damn auto correct
                lol, new nickname...Demar the Defiant!

Comment

To be honest, Derozan's too good to be a bench player. He's a damn all star. If Masai's plan is to find a better three or attempt to get Kevin Durant, trade Derozan to a team where he can start instead of wasting his talent on the bench. Besides, the two position is the weakest in the league, so there will be a team that wants upgrade in that position for sure.

Comment

We dont trade DeMar for god sake!

Comment

I have always liked Millsap. Solid player.. good character guy. Not a flashy guy but when it comes to advanced metrics his name always appears on the top of those lists. Not a max contract guy either so helps with payroll.

But as stated above.. no need to trade for him. Use the cap space in 2015 and then sign him outright. I was surprised he only got $19M for 2 years. If he can be had for the same amount in 2015 that would be a solid pick up.

If a trade were to happen this summer.. and if Atlanta wants to rebuild we could try swapping Millsap for Salmons and a 2016 pick (but with lottery protections). He has a 2 year contract so I believe that qualifies for an Early Bird exception which means we could resign him by going over the cap. He would have a $12.5M cap hold though (130% of $9.5M for an Early Bird free agent) in 2015 which would make it harder to sign other free agents that year (unless we renounce Amir's contract which would then free up even more space).

Either way.. I like the idea of going after Millsap either via trade (as long as the asset we are giving back is inexpensive) or free agency in 2015.

Comment

That would be awesome, however I don't see ATL doing a rebuild, the only reason they are doing badly this season is that they have gotten completely murdered by injuries. They will be probably better than us next season

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                          That would be awesome, however I don't sree ATL doing a rebuild, the only reason they are doing badly this season is that they have gotten completely murdered by injuries. They will be probably better than us next season
                          Not if lowry resigns. The raptors this year are a 55 win team sans gay. Hawks were never projected to do that well.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                            We dont trade DeMar for god sake!
                            You should brace yourself for that possibility.

No Raptor is going to be safe this off season..... especially if they lose in the first round badly, like 4 or 5 games.

Ujiri said he'd give the team the opportunity this season as, his words, they deserved it. I've not read anything about beyond this season.

Comment

lol @PlanetMars I don't think it's called the "Early Bird exception"
                              "Bruno?
                              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                                lol @PlanetMars I don't think it's called the "Early Bird exception"
                                http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

EARLY BIRD EXCEPTION -- This is a weaker form of the Larry Bird exception. It also allows teams to exceed the cap to re-sign their own free agents, but with more limited contracts than the Larry Bird exception. To qualify for this exception the player must play for two seasons without clearing waivers or changing teams as a free agent (see question number 33 for details and nuances to this rule). A team may use the Early Bird exception to re-sign its own free agent for up to 175% of his salary in the previous season2 (not over the maximum salary, of course) or 104.5% of the average salary in the previous season, whichever is greater (see question number 32 for the definition of "average salary"). Early Bird contracts must be at least two seasons in length, which prevents teams from using the Early Bird to sign a one-year contract, then signing the same player with the full Larry Bird exception the following season. Early Bird contracts can be up to four years in length, with raises up to 7.5% of the salary in the first season of the contract. Early Bird is also a component of the Veteran Free Agent exception, and qualifying players are called "Early Qualifying Veteran Free Agents" in the CBA.

If the player is a restricted free agent with two years of service and qualifies for the Early Bird exception, then the player's prior team may use the Early Bird exception to match an offer sheet he receives from another team (see question numbers 44 and 45). This is true even if the starting salary for the Early Bird exception is lower than the starting salary of an offer sheet, which is based on the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception.

A team can renounce its Early Bird rights to a player, and instead re-sign him with the Non-Bird exception (see below). They might do this in order to sign the player to a one-year contract, instead of the minimum two years required by the Early Bird exception.

Starting January 10 of each season, this exception begins to reduce in value. See question number 26 for details.

Comment

Working...
                                X