No announcement yet.

"ESPN Scouts Takes": Toronto soft inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really confident we would beat Charlotte. We got better depth and offensive weapons. Al Jefferson vs JV is a concern, espicially if JV doesn't get offensive touches to make big Al work on the defensive end, but we got Chuck Hayes who makes a living of defending guys like that.

Also, Lowry > Walker, Ross > Neal, DeRozan > MKG.
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

I think the reality is that the Chicago/Brooklyn/Toronto/Charlotte/Washington cluster is all very close. All those teams have played well after the all star break, and all of the teams have their respective strengths/weaknesses that would lead them to believe that they're a better match up for one of the other teams.

This particular scout likes Charlotte. I'm sure you could find another one who liked Brooklyn. Another who liked the Raptors, and so on. The 3 v. 6 and 4 v. 5 matchups in the East will be dog fights.
      Last edited by Fully; Mon Mar 17, 2014, 08:51 PM.

Comment

No Respect for the Raps...Fuel for the playoffs!!!

An NBA scout on Marc Stein's blog...

“They’re the fourth-best team in the East to me. Chicago is the third-best team; everybody knows they have problems scoring but I promise you no one wants to play the Bulls in the playoffs. Then I like Charlotte.

“The Nets are going to have problems playing defense in the playoffs consistently. They rely a lot on experience and that’s not something you can rely on all the time. And I just think Toronto is a little soft inside. Their defense isn’t good enough to sustain for four [wins] in a series, and if you really get after DeMar [DeRozan] or Kyle Lowry, they’re going to struggle to score. I like Charlotte better than both of those teams.”
        LINK

Lucky for him/her, that scout doesn't give their name. However, after the first round is over I'll email Marc with the link to this article for him to forward to the scout... Feel free to suggest taglines.
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
          An NBA scout on Marc Stein's blog...

LINK

Lucky for him/her, that scout doesn't give their name. However, after the first round is over I'll email Marc with the link to this article for him to forward to the scout... Feel free to suggest taglines.
          Just merged this with the same topic as yesterday ezz.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
            Teams have played Derozan like this forever. You can go back 2-3 years and watch how the Celtics guarded him. Taking away his time and space is essential cause he's not terrific with the ball. This year, they've alleviated the issue by running him off a tonne of pindowns, successive screens and hand-offs to clear defenders and give him more time and space. Also, Derozan's done a far better job dealing with it by: finishing or getting to the line OR moving the ball. It's when he tries to do too much that he gets in trouble.... like in the PHX game.
            DD is just in a slump.

Shit happens.

Couldn't agree more with the bold.

Comment

He forgot to mention Tross , he is going to need to up his contribution in the playoffs
              ya dun noe

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                DD is just in a slump.

Shit happens.

Couldn't agree more with the bold.
                Yes and no. It's pretty clear that teams are defending DD a lot closer now and he's seeing more double teams. It's a smart move to take the ball out of the hands of your opponents highest usage player (note: unless that happens to be Rudy Gay). This is where Casey has to devise a few more counters and, in particular get JV and Ross more involved in the offense - by design. It worked great in the Pistons game where DD became more of a facilitator and JV was even open under the bucket a few times. In fact, in an ideal future, the offense runs inside-out through JV a la Spurs (Duncan-Parker, Duncan-Ginobili) a lot more than the perimeter oriented attack that Casey seems to favor now.

Comment

I think Toronto IS soft inside.

JV isn't a tough, strong interior defender, and the rest of them are puny.

I'm not sure why people can't see this. It can get better, but right now.... SOFT

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                    I think Toronto IS soft inside.

JV isn't a tough, strong interior defender, and the rest of them are puny.

I'm not sure why people can't see this. It can get better, but right now.... SOFT
                    Yep. This is the reason that I've never been big on Amir. 6'9'', 210lbs - that's a small forward.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                      Yep. This is the reason that I've never been big on Amir. 6'9'', 210lbs - that's a small forward.
                      those measurements are when he came out of high school at age 17 looool
                      Now he's 6'10 230lbs
                      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                        those measurements are when he came out of high school at age 17 looool
                        Now he's 6'10 230lbs
                        Wikipedia, NBA.com, TSN and Basketball Reference all list 6'9'' 210.

Yahoo lists 6'9'' 237.

Regardless, he's undersized as a 4, especially if he isn't shooting much. He can only start in the east. He's the starter who most needs to be upgraded.
                        Last edited by JimiCliff; Mon Mar 17, 2014, 07:18 PM.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Agree with the scout and everyone pointing out how doh-ey we are inside.
                          Chuck Hayes is basically the Pilsbury doh-boy, incarnate; short, fat, all puff-no bounce, zero offence, little to no rebounding.

Add to the fact that Charlotte and Chicago are on a tear equal to ours; "Portland, Phoenix, Chicago, Charlotte ... and Toronto at 31-16 since trading away Rudy Gay." (Marc Stein Power Rankings Week 20), while Washington and Brooklyn have turned it around heavy. We have legit match-up concerns wherever we land in the east.

Nice to have dem first round match-up concerns doe,

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                            Agree with the scout and everyone pointing out how doh-ey we are inside.
                            Chuck Hayes is basically the Pilsbury doh-boy, incarnate; short, fat, all puff-no bounce, zero offence, little to no rebounding.

Add to the fact that Charlotte and Chicago are on a tear equal to ours; "Portland, Phoenix, Chicago, Charlotte ... and Toronto at 31-16 since trading away Rudy Gay." (Marc Stein Power Rankings Week 20), while Washington and Brooklyn have turned it around heavy. We have legit match-up concerns wherever we land in the east.

Nice to have dem first round match-up concerns doe,
                            ahhaahhaahhahhahahah @ "all puff no bounce" I have never heard that one before looooooool
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Raptors Total Rebound %

Patterson - 12.9
                              Amir - 13.1
                              Hansbrough - 16.5
                              JV - 17.9
                              Chuck Hayes - 17.9

Hayes has a lot of deficiencies, but he's also smart, boxes out and positions properly.
                              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                                Wikipedia, NBA.com, TSN and Basketball Reference all list 6'9'' 210.

Yahoo lists 6'9'' 237.

Regardless, he's undersized as a 4, especially if he isn't shooting much. He can only start in the east. He's the starter who most needs to be upgraded.
                                Lol, Amir is clearly not 210. His size is totally fine for the four, which is why Casey dumps him in as the C for small ball. Further, he anchors the D; it's not his defense that needs upgrading, it's finding someone with more post offense.

The bigger problem is Chuck Hayes not being able to block shots. Positionally he's great, but with Val still learning the ropes, lane intimidation/rim protection is our biggest weakness.

Comment

Working...
                                X