Give lowry the kobe max!!
    Give lowry the kobe max!!!
    Give lowry the kobe max!!!!
    Give lowry the kobe max!!!!!
    Give lowry the kobe max!!!!!
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Sadly with the talent spotting ability of Ujiri and Weltman plus the cap wizard Bobby Webster, I think Raps are set.

If they ever need our opinions - uh oh!.... but they'll know where to find them.
      So pessimistic. I expect a call from Ujiri any minute now.

Comment

I would give the QO to Pattman, and retain him at up to 5 mil. He can be a solid bench rotation guy, which should be max 5 mil.

I really am not a fan of Vasquez and think the team is better suited to having a defensive PG (or De Colo, whom I like) off the bench. I would extend the QO, but not pay a cent over it...

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
          I would give the QO to Pattman, and retain him at up to 5 mil. He can be a solid bench rotation guy, which should be max 5 mil.

I really am not a fan of Vasquez and think the team is better suited to having a defensive PG (or De Colo, whom I like) off the bench. I would extend the QO, but not pay a cent over it...
          or you could

You could

Give

LOWRY THE KOBE MAX!!!
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
            Precisely. Make the qualifying offers. Let them shop around. If somebody else wants to overpay, that's fine; point guard and power forward are the two most stacked positions in the league, we can always find more of those. And if nobody wants to overpay, we offer them fair three year deals.
            Not that I disagree, but how come we are always looking for point guards and power forwards then...or at least haven't had a settled starter/backup at those positions for years?

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
              Not that I disagree, but how come we are always looking for point guards and power forwards then...or at least haven't had a settled starter/backup at those positions for years?
              What position have we settled on....ever.....???

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                What position have we settled on....ever.....???
                C!

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                  I don't think the Raptors are in position to start signing backups and borderline starters to midlevel contracts.

If you think Patterson is a big bargain at 4/24, then yes, I value him as a player much lower than you do.

More likely we disagree on how the Raptors should build. I think the Raptors have to find another foundational player, probably via free agency, and keep flexibility until then. If Ujiri finds major bargains that can easily be moved, fine. But the worst thing that the Raptors could do IMO is start throwing midlevel type contracts at midlevel type free agents.
                  I just don't think signing Patterson to a 4 year/24 million contract will hinder our flexibility.

Right now, the Raptors have 13.25 million on the books for 2015-2016 in Derozan and Novak.

JV and TR have team options for a total of 8.2 million. That's 21.45 million total so far.

Assuming we keep Lowry for 12 million/year, that's 33.45 million now.

We'll also have at least two first round draft picks. If they fall as the 20th pick each year, that adds up to about 2.5 million. Total: 35.95 million on the books for 2015-2016

Amir's contract ends in 2014/2015. I see Patterson as being a younger, healthier version of Amir. He's got a lot less mileage on his body than Amir. So we've got Patterson signed for 6 million dollars a year.

That leaves us with 41.95 million on the books for 2015-2016. Our roster is: Lowry, Ross, Derozan, Patterson, JV, 2014 1st round draft pick, 2015 first round draft pick, Novak.

Assuming the cap is around 62 million that year, we have 20 million dollars of cap space, which is enough room for a max contract and some 2nd round picks with a little left over.

I don't know that we could necessarily spend that 6 million much better than on Patterson.

I'd also add that a high player turnover rate just for the sake of it is not necessarily good for the team.

Having said all this, I'd say the choice would have to be between having Amir or Patterson 2 years from now.
                  Last edited by stooley; Wed Mar 26, 2014, 07:56 PM.
                  "Bruno?
                  Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                    I just don't think signing Patterson to a 4 year/24 million contract will hinder our flexibility.

Right now, the Raptors have 13.25 million on the books for 2015-2016 in Derozan and Novak.

JV and TR have team options for a total of 8.2 million. That's 21.45 million total so far.

Assuming we keep Lowry for 12 million/year, that's 33.45 million now.

We'll also have at least two first round draft picks. If they fall as the 20th pick each year, that adds up to about 2.5 million. Total: 35.95 million on the books for 2015-2016

Amir's contract ends in 2014/2015. I see Patterson as being a younger, healthier version of Amir. He's got a lot less mileage on his body than Amir. So we've got Patterson signed for 6 million dollars a year.

That leaves us with 41.95 million on the books for 2015-2016. Our roster is: Lowry, Ross, Derozan, Patterson, JV, 2014 1st round draft pick, 2015 first round draft pick, Novak.

Assuming the cap is around 62 million that year, we have 20 million dollars of cap space, which is enough room for a max contract and some 2nd round picks with a little left over.

I don't know that we could necessarily spend that 6 million much better than on Patterson.

I'd also add that a high player turnover rate just for the sake of it is not necessarily good for the team.

Having said all this, I'd say the choice would have to be between having Amir or Patterson 2 years from now.
                    Keep Amir at 6 Mil, Sign Patterson for 5 Mil, and you still have 17 Mil left over for a max contract.
                    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                      Keep Amir at 6 Mil, Sign Patterson for 5 Mil, and you still have 17 Mil left over for a max contract.
                      I like, that would make me very happy.

Though, I would expect Amir to slightly drop-off due to wear-and-tear and age, we'll have to see how well he can handle himself this next season.

Especially with the Raptors being a playoff team now, it does add some extra-wear and tear too.

Comment

Hey guys, shouldn't we pick up Salmons' $7,000,000 team option though?? He's a great glue guy!

Comment

themasao wrote: View Post
                          Hey guys, shouldn't we pick up Salmons' $7,000,000 team option though?? He's a great glue guy!
                          I'm OK if we pick it up, Not OK if the Raptors pick it up.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                            2pat: I would be completely comfortable signing 2Pat to a nice fat juicy 4 years 30 million. He is a plus defender, a floor stretcher, and high IQ player. He could be a starter or play 6th man in starters minutes. Think Lamar Odom.

KLOE: This man is gonna get paid. Every game he plays his stock goes up. Any significant playoff success will only propel him into the contract stratosphere. I do believe we have the inside track on him though and 4 years at 52 million will likely be what he ends up at. There are very few MAX guys in the league, but Lowry just might bulldog his way there. History is the only thing keeping him from the max now.

General Grevis: I'd be comfortable making him our 6th man B, getting between 25 - 30 minutes at the 1 and 2 spots. He has room for improvement but "generally" speaking you couldn't go wrong throwing the full MLE (dollars not the actual exception. We own his bird rights no need to burn the actual exception on him) at him for 3 years. He has that passion that is infectious and could effectively be a leader on this team.

Zorro De Colo: Small sample size on De Colo but I like him in a 15 - 20 minutes a night between the 1/2/3 spots. His on ball defense is good. He is a willing and capable passer, and he can shoot, we just haven't seen it yet. I also like him as PG insurance. I think three years at the 2 to 2.5 million dollar range is fair. We haven't seen the best of him yet but if Greivis leaves for a more lucrative location, Nando is more than adequate in his role.

Free Agent Targets. I'd love to get Shawn Marion in here for the MLE. I wish we never lost him in the first place.

Thoughts?
                            I think we will be over the cap with the way u r spending ... and people thought BC was over paying

Comment

I think Lowry is going to have to be paid something similar to what Jrue Holiday/Ty Lawson got (11-12M per season).

Aside from that I think you give the QO to Vasquez and 2Pat depending on who we draft. Let another team set their price and match if it's under 5M per annum.

Comment

When you consider Holiday and Lawson they were 23 and 25 when they got their contracts.

You still have upside potential.

Lowry is finally showing what many thought he would do all along. The only problem is he is 28 at the start of next season.

If you're going to give Lowry more than $10M it should be less than 4 seasons.

If a team wants to give him $12-13M for l4 years, let them.

This is not about 2014-15. This is about 2016-17 onwards.

Comment

Working...
                                X