Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time For Toronto Raptors To Insert Greivis Vasquez Into Starting Lineup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time For Toronto Raptors To Insert Greivis Vasquez Into Starting Lineup.

I bring you this news: http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2014/0...arting-lineup/

During the course of the 82 game regular season, it’s normal for any team to experiment with various starting lineups, move players in and out of the rotation, and give the younger guys a chance to prove themselves, especially if there’s been any personnel changes.
    For the Toronto Raptors, starting second-year, swingman Terrence Ross was an obvious priority heading into the season in order to allow the youngster time to develop. But with just 13 games remaining and both the Brooklyn Nets and Chicago Bulls breathing down Toronto’s neck, the time has come to move Ross to the bench in favor of the more experienced Grevis Vasquez.
    In Friday night’s loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder for example, Ross looked lost at times before leaving in the third quarter with what has been labelled as a hip contusion. While the injury isn’t thought to be serious, Ross finished with just two points, three rebounds, and a pair of steals on a night when the former Washington Husky also shot 1-9 from the floor in 22 minutes.
    By comparison, Vasquez used his 31 minutes of playing time to score 21 points, grab five rebounds, and dish out four assists while shooting 3-5 from long-range and 9-11 from the field.
    More importantly, during the eight-game stretch that concluded after Sunday’s visit from the Hawks in which the Raptors faced six playoff-bound opponents, Vasquez has provided Toronto with another ball handler in crunch time that’s capable of doing much more than what appears on the stat sheet.
    While there have been nights that both Ross and Vasquez would rather forget, the intangibles that the Venezuelan brings to the table drastically outweigh those of Toronto’s other, high-flying guard.
    Earlier in the week when the Raptors were in desperate need of a victory against the New Orleans Pelicans for example, it was the presence of Vasquez late in the game that lifted Toronto to victory, and his 14-point output doesn’t even begin to tell the entire story.
    Fortunately for the Raptors, one of Vasquez’ most valuable assets is his 6-foot-6, 211-pound frame that continuously causes matchup problems for opponents, and more importantly, would allow the former ACC-standout to start at shooting guard without giving up much size to whoever he’s covering.
    The potential in Ross to be an elite-level contributor is undeniable, but much like the time it took DeMar DeRozan to transform into the well-rounded, scoring threat we see today, the Raptors’ young talent will also need time to develop, and now is not that time.
    On the heels of another win laced with self-imposed errors, what Toronto needs most right now is the often steady hand of Vasquez to help steer the ship when it counts the most. Clearly, DeRozan and Kyle Lowry will continue to lead the Raptors offensively, and on some nights, Ross will be an important part of that.
    But for now, sliding Vasquez into the two spot beside Lowry while DeRozan moves freely within the offense will help to limit these self-inflicted mistakes. In the meantime, Ross can add a valuable scoring threat to the bench and rejoin the starting five when he becomes the well-rounded guard that Toronto hoped for when he was initially drafted.

I find it interesting, Vasquez undoubtedly doing things better every day, and is physically obtimo is an experienced player who has played playoff, I like playing and let me know you guys say about this article?

*their numbers speak of their improvement:

Last 10 games:
    MPP: 22.2
    FG%: .430
    TC3%: .400
    RPG: 3.6
    APG: 3.5
    PPG: 10.5

Don't like this idea at all.

Vasquez fits very well as a bench player.

Comment

Good post! While I appreciate the thought that you put into this I have to respectfully disagree.
      I love what GV brings off of the bench. He's a floor general, gets his own shot and creates his own offense when things are stagnant. Ross on the other hand really struggles creating his own offense. He is most valuable when he's out there with the starting crew and they can provide him with space to hit open threes and to make backdoor cuts.
      Should GV be in the lineup to end games? Sure. But even then... Ross is our guy long term. Will GV be here next year? There's no substitute for time, so let Ross spend time on the floor making his mistakes and developing his game. Plus, I LOVE what he brings to our starting lineup. Great defense and a real three point threat? Yes please!

Comment

Not included in this article is the fact that most nights Ross is our best perimeter defender and the closest thing to a lockdown defender we have. You take him out of the starting lineup and you lose some ability to throw off the other team's best scorer to start the game.

Comment

Loooooool Your gonna have a starting lineup with Derozan and Vasquez playing together?? Are you insane?? Where's the defense?? Where's the consistent 3pt threat except Lowry?? Teams are just gonna pack the paint
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

that would piss the hell outta kyle loooool not bout that
            What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
            The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
            No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

Dear. God. No.

Comment

Mauro150611 wrote: View Post
                For the Toronto Raptors, starting second-year, swingman Terrence Ross was an obvious priority heading into the season in order to allow the youngster time to develop. But with just 13 games remaining and both the Brooklyn Nets and Chicago Bulls breathing down Toronto’s neck, the time has come to move Ross to the bench in favor of the more experienced Grevis Vasquez.
                In Friday night’s loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder for example, Ross looked lost at times before leaving in the third quarter with what has been labelled as a hip contusion.

But for now, sliding Vasquez into the two spot beside Lowry while DeRozan moves freely within the offense will help to limit these self-inflicted mistakes. In the meantime, Ross can add a valuable scoring threat to the bench and rejoin the starting five when he becomes the well-rounded guard that Toronto hoped for when he was initially drafted.
                Bold 1: That was not one of the goals heading into the season as we had Gay. Also Casey hates young players, no way this has any realm of possibility.

Bold 2 and 3: Ross is a crappy contributor off the bench because he is best off the ball. Vasquez is also a very very bad defender, and having a combination of DD+Vasquez guarding the wings of the league is a good way to get wrecked at the start of games. The TEAM is better with Ross starting for his D and three, with Vasquez off the bench with his ability to handle the ball.

Overall, I bluntly must say that this is a terrible idea. Developing talent RIGHT NOW is the best hope we have of doing well in this seasons playoffs as well as the following seasons. Vasquez still can play minutes with Lowry and DD off the bench, but starting him eliminates a ton of our bench strength while at the same time lowering the effectiveness of our starting unit. You are very caught up in cherry picking stats that benefit your argument. Also we know how bad Ross is off the bench, why limit the effectiveness of one player for the sake of starting one guy who wont make the team better?

Comment

Not a good idea.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

This is a very bad idea and I'm actually impressed that someone put so much thought into it. Basically, when someone has been producing in a very important role (backup PG), you do not just make him the starting SG. Basketball is more complicated than just putting whoever's making shots into the starting lineup.
                    read my intelligent tweets

Comment

Thanks to all for your comments.
                      What experience and leadership in difficult times does not count?
                      The playoff is a different tournament where you have to beat the pressure and fear to take the most appropriate decisions.

There are still games, time will tell what the players have to be in times of pressure.

Comment

Mauro150611 wrote: View Post
                        Thanks to all for your comments.
                        What experience and leadership in difficult times does not count?
                        The playoff is a different tournament where you have to beat the pressure and fear to take the most appropriate decisions.

There are still games, time will tell what the players have to be in times of pressure.
                        Vasquez has 13 playoff games at 10.9 minutes per game under his belt....Not exactly a battle-hardened playoff veteran. It's unclear whether he'll be able to provide the experience and leadership we'd need since it will basically be his first playoffs in a major role.

Comment

Need his spark off the bench. It's working too well to disrupt it

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                            Dear. God. No.
                            TRex wrote: View Post
                            Not a good idea.
                            Sometimes the simplest answers are the best ones.

Comment

I think it's unfair to put GV over T Ross at the moment Terrence needs as much time in the starting lineup as possible. we'll need the kid entering the playoffs, so let him make his mistakes in the regular season instead of having Grevis take over, cuz then you'll be getting no where.
                              What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                              The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                              No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

Working...
                              X