Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else a little concerned...

About history repeating itself?

- New GM comes in in 06-07 (BC, now Ujiri)
    - Raptors have franchise-best regular season
    - Raptors make playoffs with high seed
    - Raptors lose in first round to the Nets

It really does look like we're going to play the Nets in the first-round (4 vs. 5), which in my opinion is the worst matchup we could get aside from Indiana or Miami. If we lose that series, then this season is kind of a dud...

The positive difference between this year and 2006-07 is that our entire starting lineup is quite young. In 06-07 we had 3 starters in/approaching their 30s (Garbajosa, Parker, Rasho), whereas now we have 3 under 25 and the other two are just hitting their primes. Still it's a little concerning.

imanshumpert wrote: View Post

It really does look like we're going to play the Nets in the first-round (4 vs. 5), which in my opinion is the worst matchup we could get aside from Indiana or Miami. If we lose that series, then this season is kind of a dud...

The positive difference between this year and 2006-07 is that our entire starting lineup is quite young. In 06-07 we had 3 starters in/approaching their 30s (Garbajosa, Parker, Rasho), whereas now we have 3 under 25 and the other two are just hitting their primes. Still it's a little concerning.
    Also, the GM will not be forced to keep a strategically inferior coach because the coach won COY, so we have that going for us as well
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

So far MU has practiced what he preached.
      BC always felt like the kind of guy who NEEDED to make a splash.
      Until we see MU do something stupid like that, I wouldn't be worried.
      Entourage: Harvey - "E (BC) was right, there's genius in this (Bargnani)"
      Ari - "You wanna buy it?"
      Harvey - "I do, for a dollar"

Comment

Not concerned at all, as long as Patterson comes back to his old self.

Comment

No way Raps get to 47 wins.

Comment

I don't think we even end up fourth if they continue to play like they did yesterday. If players being banged up is going to make them play like that then we have no hope. Being banged up is no excuse. Everyone is banged up at this time of year. Who ever is banged up might as well just not play because playing the way they did yesterday does nothing for us. We might end up proving the critics right because a lot of them didn't think we would keep the third seed and they also thought Brooklyn would win the Atlantic. It's looking like both those things might happen. Oh well, it's the typical Raptors, fall apart right when shit gets real and every game starts to matter. While other teams around us step up their game.
            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Am concerned about the heavy usage (and youth) of some players. If I remember correctly Bosh seemed tired for the Nets series and when heavily defended came up short. DD will be treated the same way so Casey is going to have to adjust plays and usage of the players much better than he has done lately. Him coming back is going to depend on team performance in the playoffs...imo

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                No way Raps get to 47 wins.
                We need to go 8-4 to do that... I wouldn't say there's "no way".

Comment

We need to go 8-4 to do that... I wouldn't say there's "no way".
                  3 losses Mia hou ind. Do you really think we go 8-1 against other also rans? No way. Likely 6-3. Maybe 5-4

I see 45-37 as most likely final record.

Comment

I see the current iteration as different in a few ways from the '06-'07 team:

1. Better defensive team. The '06 and '07 teams outscored you but they couldn't defend very well. Theoretically, being a better defensive team is more sustainable.

2. Age. Every single key player on this team is either not in his prime, just entering it or early in it. That bodes well. The '06-'07 teams did not have that kind of combination of depth/age.

3. Cap and drafts. The 06-07 team had no simple way to improve. Ujiri has picks, moveable assets and cap space. Up to him to ensure it makes a difference.

The key question is not whether this is a repeat of 2006-2010 but how far can this current core go without a Durant or someone like him. Can they be an ECF contender or just playoff fodder?

Comment

3 losses Mia hou ind. Do you really think we go 8-1 against other also rans? No way. Likely 6-3. Maybe 5-4

So little faith

I bet we take 1 of those minimum
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

History might repeat itself in results at the playoffs, but the only thing we do not want to repeat is what happens in the off-season. Signing back a coach that was not good enough for a deep playoff run, signing more redundancy players, still standing pat with first round elimination talent, and not having a pick to solidify player development and depth. What MU did this year to say the least is to make sure at least every player (except Fields and Novak due to injury or not a good enough system) is earning their pay cheque to be a worth trade-able asset before draft day, not make the coach the scapegoat, shed bad salary, and make the Raps fans standards of winning a little higher.

We don't like losing home court at all, but I am still confident that this team should be put in the position that they are the complete underdogs of the playoff series and they end up playing better in effort.

Comment

With this team (and the way the better teams are playing) I wouldnt just chalk up 0-3 against miami, hou, indy. I would guess we win at least one of those games. On the other hand, I would also bet my life that we split with Boston at best ... so ....

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                            With this team (and the way the better teams are playing) I wouldnt just chalk up 0-3 against miami, hou, indy. I would guess we win at least one of those games. On the other hand, I would also bet my life that we split with Boston at best ... so ....
                            So 45-37 right?

Comment

Worrying about history repeating itself because a relatively similar situation happened once before?
                              your pal,
                              ebrian

Comment

Working...
                              X