X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    Owners ranking:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...ankings-owners

The Raptors ownership more than a point below Clay Bennett, the owner who was too cheap to keep James Harden despite the team showing significant profits.

I guess it could've been expected -- who really follows MLSE realities and ownership structure, probably not most of these journalists. Yet it's very questionable, considering high ambitions since the sale, readiness to spend on MLSE teams and Leiweke being basically ownership impersonated right now.
    Is this only based on previous years? They list Richard Peddie as....I'm not really sure what. Most of the names listed are the actual owners.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
      I expected better from ESPN, but they screwed the pooch on this one. They still have Richard Peddie in charge of MLSE!!! He retired over 2 years ago.
      And what do they list him as? I just glanced at the names, but it seems they are the actual owners or top stakeholders in the ownership group. Peddie was just the CEO. He never had any kind of controlling stake in the company at all.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        And what do they list him as? I just glanced at the names, but it seems they are the actual owners or top stakeholders in the ownership group. Peddie was just the CEO. He never had any kind of controlling stake in the company at all.
        He was the decision maker, just as Leiweke is now.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

I expected better from ESPN, but they screwed the pooch on this one. They still have Richard Peddie in charge of MLSE!!! He retired over 2 years ago.
          You are dead right on my hyperbole but this is exactly what my post alluded to.

Comment

He was the decision maker, just as Leiweke is now.
            Yeah, but not all the guys they list are decision-makers*. Most of them are just majority owners. Some of them occupy the CEO position, some of them don't. The common thread is ownership, not executive standing....as far as I can tell. Definitely does not seem right to have Peddie on that list. It should probably be Tanenbaum, who's the chariman and has been the largest private stakeholder for awhile (in terms of a single individual).

*In fact, they're supposed to have a whole different ranking for decision-makers, focusing on presidents/GMs. So definitely makes no sense to have Peddie/Leiweke here.
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Apr 2, 2014, 03:54 PM.

Comment

LOL. These rankings are pointless.

Does anyone take this seriously?

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Yeah, but not all the guys they list are decision-makers*. Most of them are just majority owners. Some of them occupy the CEO position, some of them don't. The common thread is ownership, not executive standing....as far as I can tell. Definitely does not seem right to have Peddie on that list. It should probably be Tanenbaum, who's the chariman and has been the largest private stakeholder for awhile (in terms of a single individual).

*In fact, they're supposed to have a whole different ranking for decision-makers, focusing on presidents/GMs. So definitely makes no sense to have Peddie/Leiweke here.
                You're right on both counts. ESPN now has Tanenbaum in place of Peddie. And yeah, GM rankings include presidents.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                  LOL. These rankings are pointless.

Does anyone take this seriously?
                  It's crowdsourcing. Not to be taken as fact, but definitely a valid reflection of perception.

Comment

It's crowdsourcing. Not to be taken as fact, but definitely a valid reflection of perception.
                    It's nonsense.... it's just an opinion poll of some random people (most without the robust industry knowledge to be an expert) but it's being presented as some sort of legitimate study of organizations.

LOL. I love how they attributed a weight of 26.5% to the importance of an owner. Good grief. Not 25%. It's that extra 1.5% that's key. I can't get over how ludicrous this is....

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                      It's nonsense.... it's just an opinion poll of some random people (most without the robust industry knowledge to be an expert) but it's being presented as some sort of legitimate study of organizations.

LOL. I love how they attributed a weight of 26.5% to the importance of an owner. Good grief. Not 25%. It's that extra 1.5% that's key. I can't get over how ludicrous this is....
                      They say they averaged it out. I would guess some people wrote 30%, some wrote 25% etc, and that's how you have 26.5%.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                        They say they averaged it out. I would guess some people wrote 30%, some wrote 25% etc, and that's how you have 26.5%.
                        The average of 30% and 25% is 27.5%...
                        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
                          The average of 30% and 25% is 27.5%...
                          Your math is terrific. However he said "some" not "half". Some is not a precise amount.

Comment

Your math is terrific. However he said "some" not "half". Some is not a precise amount.
                            Although 26.5 is a rather odd, specific amount for a vague percentage.
                            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
                              Although 26.5 is a rather odd, specific amount for a vague percentage.
                              Not sure I understand what you mean here. There were 200+ voters. Each suggested a number. The average of those numbers was 26.5.

Comment

So these are the final Raptors rankings:

Coach (Casey) - #12

Top Execs (Ujiri/Weltman) - #9

Ownership (MLSE/Tannenbaum) - #17

Overall - #13

The "experts" included range from the very knowledgeable like Abbott and Haberstroh to bloggers like Sam Holako and Blake Murphy From Raptors Republic.

Edit - Not sure where they should have fit him in, but the lack of mention of Leiweke was puzzling.
                                Last edited by 3inthekeon; Fri Apr 4, 2014, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X