Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you be happy with the Toronto Heat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    Everybody said gordan was better than derozan so it didnt need to be discussed
    When exactly?

Your join date is March 2014, I've been here for years and the only long debated discussions I remember were about Gordon Hayward. I remember a short discussion about "would you trade for Eric Gordon" a long while back (last year?) and the general sense was no due to injury, contract, attitude.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
      Is that Miley Cyrus? Did I spell that right?

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
        Everybody said gordan was better than derozan so it didnt need to be discussed
        He was.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
          I'm not saying my opinion is correct. I'm just saying I'm emotionally invested in the process, and I would not enjoy being a fan of a team that bought it rather than earning it
          I agree with this and the OP. I want to cheer for a program, not just a team. I have no issue with signing free agents, or even multiple free agents, or even a superstar free agent, but I would prefer if the team developed and built some of it's core. That, to me, is more sustainable (in theory) than to buy or core, fill out the roster, make a run, rinse and repeat. For me, it would be really hard to be proud of the franchise because it "purchased" it's contending team as opposed to developing it.

Comment

My guess is that when the Miami Heat big 3 were formed, there were some fans out there similar to the OP who were against it too, but then when they actually saw how difficult it is to win a championship even when you do acquire several big names including the best player in the league, they all got on board.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
              JawsGT wrote: View Post
              Is that Miley Cyrus? Did I spell that right?
              hahhahaha

It's actually Sinead O'Connor, it's an old picture
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I agree with this and the OP. I want to cheer for a program, not just a team. I have no issue with signing free agents, or even multiple free agents, or even a superstar free agent, but I would prefer if the team developed and built some of it's core. That, to me, is more sustainable (in theory) than to buy or core, fill out the roster, make a run, rinse and repeat. For me, it would be really hard to be proud of the franchise because it "purchased" it's contending team as opposed to developing it.
                ebrian wrote: View Post
                My guess is that when the Miami Heat big 3 were formed, there were some fans out there similar to the OP who were against it too, but then when they actually saw how difficult it is to win a championship even when you do acquire several big names including the best player in the league, they all got on board.
                I think this sort of debate illustrates how different the big-4 professional sports leagues are, compared to even the 90's. The days of homegrown players staying with their team long-term are gone, regardless of the sport.

The Heat just happened to make their move for the biggest player, multiple star players at once, and made such a public spectacle of it. I despise them for it (more the players involved, not the franchise), because it flies in the face of the competitive nature of sports (ie: you gotta beat the best to be the best).

Dynasties are dead. Rivalries are dead. Buying any player jersey brings such a risk now, due to the high roster turnover from year to year. I think that's also why you see so much bandwagon jumping, because it's hard to stay loyal to a team, when that 'team' can be gutted and unrecognizable practically overnight. I think some people have a few teams they like to follow, or even favorite players that they follow, liking whatever team they currently play for.

I fear sounding like a grumpy old man, but the significant and regular roster turnover is one thing that I really hate about modern sports. I miss the 80's and 90's when players had loyalty to the teams that drafted them. I blame salary caps (league, ownership and management) and free agency (players) equally. Nobody is loyal anymore, it's purely a numbers game now.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                  hahhahaha

It's actually Sinead O'Connor, it's an old picture
                  I was thinking it might have been a young Moby.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    I think this sort of debate illustrates how different the big-4 professional sports leagues are, compared to even the 90's. The days of homegrown players staying with their team long-term are gone, regardless of the sport.

The Heat just happened to make their move for the biggest player, multiple star players at once, and made such a public spectacle of it. I despise them for it (more the players involved, not the franchise), because it flies in the face of the competitive nature of sports (ie: you gotta beat the best to be the best).

Dynasties are dead. Rivalries are dead. Buying any player jersey brings such a risk now, due to the high roster turnover from year to year. I think that's also why you see so much bandwagon jumping, because it's hard to stay loyal to a team, when that 'team' can be gutted and unrecognizable practically overnight. I think some people have a few teams they like to follow, or even favorite players that they follow, liking whatever team they currently play for.

I fear sounding like a grumpy old man, but the significant and regular roster turnover is one thing that I really hate about modern sports. I miss the 80's and 90's when players had loyalty to the teams that drafted them. I blame salary caps (league, ownership and management) and free agency (players) equally. Nobody is loyal anymore, it's purely a numbers game now.
                    We should bring back the reserve clause, where players are bound to one team for the rest of their lives, are paid less than living wage and have to work for their team owners in the offseason. Imagine Kyle Lowry installing your Bell cable/Internet in the summer?
                    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Well said.

Comment

hockey's still pretty good on that front. most players move through 2-3 teams in their career and will stick around for a while.
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                          hockey's still pretty good on that front. most players move through 2-3 teams in their career and will stick around for a while.
                          Hockey is heading that way quickly though. Since they implemented a salary cap, player movement and dumping 'contracts' has skyrocketed.

The worst is the NFL. Their hard-cap was great for improving the competitive balance, but killed loyalty. Great players are constantly dumped by teams who would love to keep them for their team and fans, but simply can't afford them (or need to use their salary to fill multiple roster spots).

MLB is terrible in the exact opposite way. No cap at all, but owners who throw money around like they're playing monopoly. How can you blame players for accepting ridiculous contracts?

Money talks louder than loyalty or the competitive spirit.

Comment

Thats the main reason I don't even own a Raptors jersey. I just fear I'll buy a jersey, and then the player will get traded, or even worse demand a trade. I own no Raptors gear, I really should just go and buy a hat or something...

Comment

Thats the main reason I don't even own a Raptors jersey. I just fear I'll buy a jersey, and then the player will get traded, or even worse demand a trade. I own no Raptors gear, I really should just go and buy a hat or something...
                              buy a jersey without a name. thats what i have
                              "Bruno?
                              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                                buy a jersey without a name. thats what i have
                                I could stick to the generic gear I guess. I'm glad I don't own a Carter jersey. Imagine buying one of those after that Philly series, only to realize a season later that you have a jersey that basically says douchebag across the back. Yeah, it's about the name on the front , not the back eh.

Comment

Working...
                                X