Houston @ Toronto 7:00 SN1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter N wrote: View Post
    What does watching the actual games tell you?

I'm just razzing you (as the old folks say) but I hate when people just jump to their shiny stats to try and prove their point even though lots of times (and this may not be the case with you) they haven't watched both players equally. Stats are great, but they're just part of the picture. You need to go off both what you see and the stats to get the full picture.
    While I haven't watched a ton of Beverley, I do know that Lowry is a great defender. Which is what I was trying point out; if Beverley is "Great" and Lowry has better defensive stats, then is he not great as well? If not better?

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      While I haven't watched a ton of Beverley, I do know that Lowry is a great defender. Which is what I was trying point out; if Beverley is "Great" and Lowry has better defensive stats, then is he not great as well? If not better?
      Again, no offence, but you don't know that. You know that Lowry is a great defender.

Maybe Beverly is matched up against the top guy on the other team every night regardless of height difference, maybe against premiere PGs Beverley goes into beast mode and shuts them down and relaxes on the mid-level ones, maybe Beverley's numbers are less impressive because he has to carry the load since 3 out of the 4 other players he plays with only see defence as that thing that happens before they get the ball in their hands again.

I do agree with you that Lowry is a top level defender though, but from what I've seen from Beverly that dude is tenacious, he's the dude where offensive players hate having to deal with him. Does that mean he's better than Lowry, no, not necessarily. I think we'll know better from the playoffs when both are playing against teams that are prepared for them.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        Defence is the hardest thing to quantify with stats cause they don't tell much of the story. Rotations, close-outs, funneling a ball-handler into the help, trapping, pressuring passes so that post players lose some of their positioning, etc. None of these things can be quantified with any current advanced stat, yet are largely what makes a defender good or great.

Lowry is very good, not trying to knock him at all, but Beverley's impacts (on defence) are greater from what I've seen. Beverley benefits from not having to do as much on offence as Lowry, so he can expend 90% of his energy on D, while Lowry needs to do both; perhaps Lowry could do all the same things in a different role, but as it currently stands, based on what I've seen, Beverley has the greater impact on defence.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• BigCamB wrote: View Post
          So what if people make silly comments in a game thread. People are really invested into the game emotionally and are bound to overreaction to bad plays or runs from the opponent. Someone going through the thread from the beginning and nitpicking peoples posts after the fact and adding a snarky comment is just as or more annoying IMO.
          I'm sure you find my comments annoying because you're one of the snark leaders when it comes to this team. And I was trying to be annoying, so you're right on that. I didn't target comments that complained the team was playing like shit early on, DD was lackadaisical on D, or questioning substitutions, etc.

Want me to ignore overreactive comments? Then ignore mine.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
            ...Its like demar is allergic to contact....
            Yet he is number 7 in the NBA in terms of trips to the line?????? I guess the refs just like him.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
              Yet he is number 7 in the NBA in terms of trips to the line?????? I guess the refs just like him.
              Well see how much calls he gets in the playoffs..
              We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

• High usage inefficient player does that sound familiar??

Anyone can look like a decent player when being spoon fed opportunities. Just saying...
                We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

• Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
                  Well see how much calls he gets in the playoffs..
                  Yes we will.
                  If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Random yet related thought;
                    Quick eye test, but Demar seems to do really well at getting foul calls outside of the lane via fakes. No way to quantify (that I know of) but I'd wager a large proportion of his foul calls aren't from contact at the rim. Sometimes these types of foul are "play on" in the playoffs, but we'll have to see.

I think the match-up could very well determine how often we get the benefit of the call. I think we'll get more calls our way against a Washington or Charlotte than we would against the Nets.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Like I said I'm fine with the demar that showed up in the 2nd q onwards but the demar from the first quarter was completely horrible!!

Comment

Preconceived notions and narratives die hard....

Comment

• Demar Derozan is not a franchise player does anyone disagree with this statement? He can barely shoot 3s. Every time he tosses up a 3 pointer I cringe. The only 3 he can hit a fairly decent clip is the corner three but he doesn't use it often enough. All I'm saying is that I'm not sold on building this team around demar as a primary option. I think we need to do a roll call with our players, we should be playing an inside oust side game rather than being trigger happy with long 2s. That just doesn't cut it IMO.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                            Random yet related thought;
                            Quick eye test, but Demar seems to do really well at getting foul calls outside of the lane via fakes. No way to quantify (that I know of) but I'd wager a large proportion of his foul calls aren't from contact at the rim. Sometimes these types of foul are "play on" in the playoffs, but we'll have to see.

I think the match-up could very well determine how often we get the benefit of the call. I think we'll get more calls our way against a Washington or Charlotte than we would against the Nets.
                            Yes!! this is exactly my point. Stats don't show everything. What's interesting is how he is getting these call, not how many calls he's getting. You're right, it depends on the match up but I highly doubt the refs will be giving us the benefit of the doubt during these possible "play on" possessions. Is this a trend that will carry on throughout the playoffs? I think not.. but we'll see. id love to be proven wrong, but until otherwise I'll stick with my notion.
                            Last edited by Ambidextrious; Thu Apr 3, 2014, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post

OH sorry was that to big for you......
                              You know what they say......Big font.............................................. .................................................. ....................................
                              .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..
                              .......................................large type.

Comment

• KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
                                I'll admit that I was [wrong]. They still played horrendously to start though.
                                Right

Comment

Working...
                                X