Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I'm not that sure he would be.

-Ed has more offensive talent...but he's failed to really develop anything. He has the one move where he goes for a left-handed hook, and a sketchy short 10-12 ft jumper that he can't hit consistently.
    -He's not developed very much defensively either. He's not strong enough to bang in the post and push people off their spots. He's not particularly imposing in terms of height/length. His help D hasn't really improved since his rookie year. He's an ok, but not outstanding rebounder.

Ed Davis is just not that good a player. You definitely don't have to pursue him in free agency, and I'm not sure how happy a guy looking for his first free agent deal would be with a 3rd string role on a team. Just don't see the point of going after him. The one biggest disappointing thing about Ed is that he never seemed to really develop a consistent approach or intensity level when on the floor. As I've said before, can just be invisible, making him basically useless.

I'm not convinced he'd be a better 3rd PF than Young...Young might need some time to adjust, but physically he's more developed than Davis. He's also arguably better defensively (though we'll see if he can adjust). And while he's got less skill offensively, he plays within himself. His only big question mark, for what you probably expect for the type of role he'll play, is defensive rebounding.

In terms of
    -Bang for your buck
    -Consistently playing to expectations
    -Acceptance of role
    -What the team needs more of (physicality, D, athleticism up front)

Young could be a much better get. Currently 39th on DX and not on the mock for nbadraft.net.

A low-ceiling, but low-risk pick who can possibly contribute right off the bat.

I don't understand why people are so high Ed Davis still. I had high hopes for him after the draft because he seemed to have some good skills. But he really never improved much of anything, and just didn't seem to have the motor or personality to expect bigger things from him.
    I also brought up young in the 2014 draft thread, I think your bang on about him
    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Our second center now is Amir, Hayes or Handsborough. Plus most team don't have traditional centers anymore and when they do Hayes is useful. On a second unit Davis can be a five vs second unit centers. Val is used on first unit centers like Pek or Al in Charlotte. Davis protects the rim when Val sits

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
        Our second center now is Amir, Hayes or Handsborough. Plus most team don't have traditional centers anymore and when they do Hayes is useful. On a second unit Davis can be a five vs second unit centers. Val is used on first unit centers like Pek or Al in Charlotte. Davis protects the rim when Val sits

All 3 of those guys are far better options at C than Davis. And at PF, all of Amir, Hansbrough and Pat are better options, so even if Pat leaves, we have 2 better options. Davis doesn't do anything for this roster. His rim protection is not that good. He can block shots, but he's not a great help defender and not as good positionally as Hayes, Amir or Hansbrough, and he's an absolutely atrocious post defender, meaning every average C in the league will be scoring on him.

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
          I also brought up young in the 2014 draft thread, I think your bang on about him
          I hope so. I see his floor as Joel Anthony. His ceiling isn't much higher, but again, given his draft stock is in flux, a guy like him that you could maybe get with one of the last picks in the draft is very good.

Comment

We need a second big and only mid level cap space

Comment

All 3 of those guys are far better options at C than Davis. And at PF, all of Amir, Hansbrough and Pat are better options, so even if Pat leaves, we have 2 better options. Davis doesn't do anything for this roster. His rim protection is not that good. He can block shots, but he's not a great help defender and not as good positionally as Hayes, Amir or Hansbrough, and he's an absolutely atrocious post defender, meaning every average C in the league will be scoring on him.
              You sure know a lot about a guy who barely played for the last two years.....

I think he showed some promise when he was in Toronto. I'm not saying i disagree with your assesment but the guy's butt has been stapled to the bench due to the fact that he plays behind Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol. The guy averaged 15 minutes a game over the past 2 years (he didnt even play the last time we played Memphis).

I personally don't think he's getting a fair shot in Memphis and i would be willing to give him a shot. Hopefully, he picked up some tricks by practicing against Marc and Zach everyday.

Comment

Plus its the cheapest time. PPat if he stayed on the Kings would be getting half his value now if that.

Comment

Also most college bigs are zero help defenders some learn faster but most suck look at Detroit if bugs start out of college its usually for offence

Comment

raptors999 = ed davis' agent

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                      You sure know a lot about a guy who barely played for the last two years.....

I think he showed some promise when he was in Toronto. I'm not saying i disagree with your assesment but the guy's butt has been stapled to the bench due to the fact that he plays behind Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol. The guy averaged 15 minutes a game over the past 2 years (he didnt even play the last time we played Memphis).

I personally don't think he's getting a fair shot in Memphis and i would be willing to give him a shot. Hopefully, he picked up some tricks by practicing against Marc and Zach everyday.
                      There are reasons he's not played that much or gone up a pecking order in any situation...some of which I went over....And most of which didn't improve at all in all his time in the NBA.

You have to do more than just "show some promise" after so much time in the league. You have to actually do something with your potential. Davis has not. And it can't just be pinned on being stuck behind guys.

Comment

Sometimes its roster need. Asik is a good center but he isn't getting minutes over Howard. Augustin looked like garbage but filled a need with the Bulls. He's 6'10" and long and athletic. Not a superstar but in the rotation. The Spurs pick up lots of players to fill roles. Playoff teams rosters are built differently from mid or rebuilding teams. Raptors have trouble holding leads without rim protection and rebounding so players minutes increase. Splitter and Duncan reduce the need to overplay starters.

Comment

Former Raptors Forward Ed Davis Grounded in Memphis

Ed Davis is in wait and learn mode with the Grizzlies as the bouncy popular former Raptors forward has been grounded in Memphis. The Grizzlies are led by the power combination of Gasol and Zach Randolph and with Kosta Koufos soaking up most of the backup minutes at center, there just aren’t many opportunities for this team’s other forwards to see a lot of time.

Toronto wasn’t a very good team in his 2.5 seasons with the Raptors and Davis didn’t have the All-Star big men to learn from that he has in Memphis. However, Davis has averaged better than a double-double per 36 minutes every season and Gasol and Randolph should be able to teach him some new tricks on the court and in the practice gym.

Head Coach David Joerger has James Johnson, Jon Leuer and can even go small if he wants and lately, Davis has been the odd man out more often than not.
                          Former Raptors Forward Ed Davis Grounded in Memphis | Pro Bball Report

Ed is a nice kid who isn't good enough to be a consistent rotation guy in Memphis (or on a playoff team) - A project player with potential, but don't make him out to be more than that.
                          The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

omg.

they found a team that would take this sack of shite, and now people wanna re-sign him????

awesome.

Lets go find TJ ford to replace Lowry too

horse poop

Comment

As a 4th big I re-post this

"Davis can not play backup C. He's weak and not that imposing length-wise. Hansbrough is better because he can push guys out better. His team D is also smarter.

If Davis could play backup C, Memphis wouldn't have pushed hard to get Koufos. "

Davis is in no way a 5. Why do people think this? He was terrible in that role in Toronto. He can't hold his ground, and he can be far too lazy defensively... Why the heck do people think Davis can play C?
                              Pretty sure I started my question with a statement saying that I haven't watched much Memphis games. Sometimes a person asking a question genuinely is asking a question -- because they don't know. Furthermore, I'm talking 4th big. On most teams that's deep bench. That's Aaron Grey, Quinton Acy country. Koufos is WAY better than both of those guys. Can ED play C in comparison to Koufus? Hell no! But if you're saying that Hansborough can fill that role better than ED I'll take your word for it.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                                omg.

they found a team that would take this sack of shite, and now people wanna re-sign him????

awesome.

Lets go find TJ ford to replace Lowry too

horse poop
                                Hey tj ford was a dangerous player before his back issues. Remember when he hit that game winner over the clippers. Damn I actually miss him
                                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Working...
                                X