Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideal Roster For Next Season? Vince Carter Involved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
    I think both JV and Ross have benefited from the limited minutes and playing on a team that's trying to compete and win. They are learning winning habits, they are part of that environment and, hopefully, they've come to understand that if they want to get the minutes, they have to perform better than their veteran counterparts. This hammers home the need to be consistent, and the need to have the fundamentals basically mastered. Think of the difference in JV over the past month or so. His defense is sooo much better than it was back in Nov or Dec. There is no harm in letting Salmons make a few mistakes, because who really gives a shit? But if Ross isn't on his game, or isn't engaged on the court, or not making the best decisions, then yeah, pull the kid and give him a rest. He can learn from that and that can benefit him and the team later. With Salmons, not so much.

As for the rookies we draft this offseason, I'd be surprised if any of them get many minutes next season, regardless if Casey is here or not. Unless MU guts the roster in the offseason, we are too deep to allow any rookies to get significant playing time next season, unless we somehow draft a prodigy.
    Your points could be valid.. but again if there are 20 minutes to go to a backup while Ross/DD were resting, I'd rather have those minutes go to a rookie than to a veteran. The Raptors need an infusion of talent not some 3rd string veteran to get them over the top. They should be developing their youth to turn them into top notch assets so that MU can deliver top end talent in 2015 when they have cap space.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      Your points could be valid.. but again if there are 20 minutes to go to a backup while Ross/DD were resting, I'd rather have those minutes go to a rookie than to a veteran. The Raptors need an infusion of talent not some 3rd string veteran to get them over the top. They should be developing their youth to turn them into top notch assets so that MU can deliver top end talent in 2015 when they have cap space.
      I felt earlier in the season that both JV and Ross should be getting more time on the floor. But I have come to question that philosophy and given how they have developed this season I have since changed my mind and thinking that the way they have been handled so far this season has been appropriate. In a situation like Boston or Philly, then yeah, I can understand giving them alot of leeway and minutes. But, the Raps didn't attempt a total rebuild and turned into a very competitive team, and thus easing these guys while giving minutes to more proven players may not have been such a bad idea.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
        I felt earlier in the season that both JV and Ross should be getting more time on the floor. But I have come to question that philosophy and given how they have developed this season I have since changed my mind and thinking that the way they have been handled so far this season has been appropriate. In a situation like Boston or Philly, then yeah, I can understand giving them alot of leeway and minutes. But, the Raps didn't attempt a total rebuild and turned into a very competitive team, and thus easing these guys while giving minutes to more proven players may not have been such a bad idea.
        It was never strictly about minutes for me...

It was about:
        -Seemingly inconsistent accountability across different players.
        -Odd rotation patterns that make it hard to make adjustments.

And those two could clearly be tied together at times.

Comment

• Great thread idea! This is what GM Jack Bauer would do:

The Draft
          Explore trading up if a potential stud such as Vonleh or Ennis falls. Last year the Jazz traded for Trey Burke (#9) by giving up the #15 and #21 picks. Maybe our first (~#20) plus a protected future pick will be enough to move up. Otherwise, I'd draft the best player available, regardless of position. Tough to say right now who will be available when we pick, but draft express has Montrezl Harrell, Jerami Grant, Rodney Hood and James Young projected to go between 19-25. I’d be happy with any of those players. Realistically, anyone we draft won’t contribute for a year or two due to a lack of minutes and the need to be developed. Rather than fill a current roster hole, I believe in drafting the BPA and remedying any future redundancies via trade.

The Coach
          A lot of people are advocating replacing Casey; and I don't get it. Keep in mind, Casey has been the assistant on two teams that have made it to the finals (Sonics and Mavs). Sure, if someone better (e.g., one of the Van Gundy’s) becomes available, I'd explore it, but I think Casey is a decent defensive coach and should be kept unless there is a clear upgrade available. I would consider hiring an assistant to specialize in offense (Jay Triano!), since this is one area the team needs to improve. The team won't be contending for a championship next year, so keeping Casey for the sake of continuity has its benefits. He's been here three years, most of the team less than two. The best teams have been together for many years and, as a result, develop chemistry together and become proficient running their system. I'm giving these Raps a chance to do the same while also continuing assessing Casey, leaving the door open for a future coaching change to help the team get over the top (e.g., Pistons firing Rick Carlisle after back to back 50 win seasons to hire Larry Brown).

Free Agency

The Plan
          I believe that Masai's plan is to make his splash next summer. He'll have max cap space and that's the year before Val and Ross' extensions will kick in. As a result, I’m going to be cautious this summer, refraining from giving multi-year deals (with the exception of Lowry and Patterson).

Cap Situation
          Depending on the final cap number, the Raptors could have over $14M in cap space this summer by letting their free agents/non-guaranteed contracts go. However, I'm going to assume that the Raps won't have cap space due to resigning Lowry, Patterson, and Vasquez. As a result, they will have the full mid-level exception ($5.3M) and bi-annual exception ($2.0M) available to spend on free agents.

Resigning Players
          Resigning Lowry should be a priority; he's been the heart and soul of the team this year, and his two-way play will be almost impossible to replace. Zach Lowe suggested a few months ago that, due to a lack of suitors, the Raps could get him on the cheap. Recent reports about interest from Houston etc. makes me question this. I think Lowry resigns for four years at $10-12M/season. Not exactly cheap, but worth it.

As for the back up PGs, I'm bringing back both Vasquez and de Colo. Vasquez, for all his flaws, is an above average backup PG, and is much better than de Colo. However, since Casey loves using two PG's, I am bringing them both back on one-year deals. I've liked what I've seen from de Colo over the past couple of games and this will give the team some pretty good PG depth in case Lowry gets injured.

I am also bringing back Hansbrough. He's a great fourth big man to have and gives the team something different. Likewise, resigning Patterson is a no brainer (on a deal similar to Amir's). Unfortunately, Salmons won't be back. It isn't in God's plan.

Free Agents
          As for free agents, I’m targeting veterans who are willing to sign one-year deals. The goal should be to bring in a back-up wing and centre who can play in the rotation, but also teach our young team how to win. I have zero room for knuckleheads like Swaggy P, despite his talents.

Some targets who I think can meet the above criteria:
          Wings: Vince Carter, Caron Butler, Jordan Hamilton (not really a vet), Danny Granger's corpse, Mike Miller's corpse, Shane Battier (how much does he have left in the tank?), Richard Jefferson, Brandon Rush (my target, he's a bit small to play SF but he'll do), and Marvin Williams.

Bigs: Jermaine O'Neal's corpse, Elton Brand, Joel Anthony, Jason Collins, Chris Kaman, Cole Aldrich, and our old friend Aaron Gray. JO would be my ideal target, but I don't know if his body can hold up. I'd sign Kaman since he seems amenable to one-year deals.

My Team
          As always, I’ve made my post way too long (I'm bored on a Sunday), but this is what my team next year would look like. I've elected to keep the current group together. If the team flounders next year, I'll know that changes should be made. But, hopefully, they can build off this year's success and regain respect around the league. This team should have max cap space and flexibility next summer to go either way.

PG: Lowry, Vasquez, Buycks
          SG: DeRozan, Brandon Rush, de Colo
          SF: Ross, Fields, Novak
          PF: Johnson, Patterson, Hansbrough
          C: Val, Kaman, Hayes
          Last edited by Jack_Bauer; Sun Apr 6, 2014, 06:46 PM.

Comment

• I like the Brandon Rush idea...

Kaman is a disaster and would not even talk to the guy if I was paid too. Raps can do much better

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
              I like the Brandon Rush idea...

Kaman is a disaster and would not even talk to the guy if I was paid too. Raps can do much better
              He does a nice beard.
              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                I like the Brandon Rush idea...

Not in love with Kaman either (he can score, but is a negative on defense). I wouldn't mind someone like Aaron Gray instead. He's not the most talented free agent available, but embraces his role and is a good team-guy. Ideally, Casey will use Val/Amir/PP/Hansbrough as his main bigs rotation. But they're an undersized group, it won't hurt to add another 7' footer for matchup purposes.

What do you think about Gray, JO, or Aldrich as a 5th/6th big?
                Last edited by Jack_Bauer; Sun Apr 6, 2014, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
                  He does a nice beard.
                  He can also join Val in the great outdoors ... Maybe OldSkoolCool is right about Kaman

Comment

• Gray would be good but 7 footer earning less than 3 mil Kings won't give him up. JO is good but GSW won't give him up. Kamen is OK but prob won't come.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jack_Bauer wrote: View Post
                      Not in love with Kaman either. Wouldn't mind Aaron Gray instead. Not the best in terms of talent, but embraces his role and is a good team-guy. Ideally, Casey will use Val/Amir/PP/Hansbrough as his bigs rotation. But they're undersized, and it wouldn't hurt to have another 7' footer for matchups.

What do you think about Gray, JO, or Aldrich?
                      Really don't like Kaman. He keeps bitching about every situation he's in and blaming others for the fact that he comes in slow, fat and unaccommodating. Guy can't wash out of the league fast enough for me.

Gray will be better for chemistry (albeit he's so damn limited). And pretty much any stilff is a guy I'd take over Kaman. Lets pick up Stiemsma so JV can beat him up in practice every day.

Comment

• Kamen would be like August in try him and cut him if he is a problem.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                          Gray would be good but 7 footer earning less than 3 mil Kings won't give him up. JO is good but GSW won't give him up. Kamen is OK but prob won't come.

All three will be unrestricted free agents this summer, so the Raptors can sign them outright using the MLE money they have available. The only issue for me would be if they want more than one year. Also, GSW has Speights and Ezeli, they may not have room for JO to come back.

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          Really don't like Kaman. He keeps bitching about every situation he's in and blaming others for the fact that he comes in slow, fat and unaccommodating. Guy can't wash out of the league fast enough for me.

Gray will be better for chemistry (albeit he's so damn limited). And pretty much any stilff is a guy I'd take over Kaman. Lets pick up Stiemsma so JV can beat him up in practice every day.
                          Fair enough. Chemistry is huge when looking at players to fill out the end of the bench. You're probably right, Kaman will expect minutes and touches.

Regardless, the Raptors should be able to find a cheap, competent big in the August bargain bin. That's how they got Hansbrough and Daye (who turned into De Colo). Even Augustin wasn't a bad pick-up.

Comment

• Gray coming back would be awesome.

MVP MVP MVP MVP MVP MVP MVP MVP MVP MVP MVP MVP
                            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Gray is the best choice., ONeal is always injured when he's needed. But both they might be really cheap

Comment

• One player I would want so badly for this team next year is Timofey Mozgov. It's a pipe dream. I know.
                                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                                X