DeMar DeRozan: The new Jrue Holiday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Given the Raptors' success and place in the standings (which itself was quite possibly impacted by those injuries), I think they absolutely deserved at least one all-star. I personally felt Lowry was more deserving, but couldn't argue with DeRozan's inclusion either.

I think people can get sensitive with these types of discussions, but it's an "if we..." discussion, not a "we must..." one.
    Oh let's cut out the crap.... The Raptor's deserved 2 all-stars (Demar Derozan and Kyle Lowry). Unfortunately, Joe Johnson was picked instead of Kyle. That sucks......but had more to do with Kyle's former issues with coaches (maybe) than anything else. I say this because the coaches decide.

Demar will continue to make the all-star game as long as the Raptors continue to be one of the better teams in the East. You guys should probably get used to seeing him in the all-star game as he should be even better next season (after experiencing his first playoffs). You can make a mariad of excuses as to why he's in, and i wouldn't mind hearing them all every year.

Comment

I had 3 issues with DeRozan and he's successfully addressed 1 of them (peripheral contributions) this season. I give him full credit that he continues to improve.

I thought I'd made it quite clear that I'd only trade DeRozan if a fantastic opportunity presented itself, and that I trust MU to only pull the trigger for such an opportunity.

I've also said that I wouldn't be upset if the team kept DeRozan.

The roster will absolutely not be 100% the same next season as it is this season, so chemistry will have to be renewed once again. The on-court chemistry could be better or worse, with or without DeRozan on the team next season - none of us have any way of predicting that today. I will say that if management (ie: TL & MU) believe that this roster's ceiling is a 2nd round appearance, they'd probably agree with me that risking the chemistry to improve the talent level would be worth it, in the long-term. After witnessing the recent interviews in which TL & MU talked about building a team of high character guys, chemistry is the least of my concerns (again, regardless whether DeRozan is a Raptor or not next season).
      Yup.

Look at the Knicks - with or without Bargnani.

They kept the main guys and let a bunch of the bench guys go (or they went on their own). Last season 54 wins. This season, in a weaker conference at that, they have 33 wins with 5 games to go.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
        Oh let's cut out the crap.... The Raptor's deserved 2 all-stars (Demar Derozan and Kyle Lowry). Unfortunately, Joe Johnson was picked instead of Kyle. That sucks......but had more to do with Kyle's former issues with coaches (maybe) than anything else. I say this because the coaches decide.

Demar will continue to make the all-star game as long as the Raptors continue to be one of the better teams in the East. You guys should probably get used to seeing him in the all-star game as he should be even better next season (after experiencing his first playoffs). You can make a mariad of excuses as to why he's in, and i wouldn't mind hearing them all every year.

Totally disagree.

Coaches can't select their own players so they play games with voting for good but less deserving players in the hopes of getting their own guys in through the backdoor.

Comment

• How much do you think the Pels gave up for Holiday. Nerlen Noel = ?
          A top ten pick in 2014 = ?
          If Toronto had those what would you expect in return

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow, you really get defensive when it comes to DeRozan!

Feeling like Lowry was more deserving that DeRozan is not an anti-DeRozan comment, it's a pro-Lowry comment. Lowry has been the heart & soul of the Raptors this season and played phenomenal basketball during the first half of the season. He made even more improvements to his overall game than DeRozan did, finally becoming a complete PG.

What I said... "Lowry was more deserving"

What you read... "DeRozan wasn't deserving"

Do you see the disconnect here?

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Totally disagree.

Coaches can't select their own players so they play games with voting for good but less deserving players in the hopes of getting their own guys in through the backdoor.
              If you say so....I'm going to chalk it up to each coaches perception of the players. Some coaches thought that Joe Johnson was more worthy due to him carrying Brooklyn at the time. They thought about Kyle and probably heard bad things in the past......They don't really get a chance to catch every game so it makes sense that there are snubs. Demar on the other hand has a really good reputation around the league as a loyal hard-working player that was his team's #1 option. It was a no brainer why he made it in.

Comment

Wow, you really get defensive when it comes to DeRozan!

Feeling like Lowry was more deserving that DeRozan is not an anti-DeRozan comment, it's a pro-Lowry comment. Lowry has been the heart & soul of the Raptors this season and played phenomenal basketball during the first half of the season. He made even more improvements to his overall game than DeRozan did, finally becoming a complete PG.

What I said... "Lowry was more deserving"

What you read... "DeRozan wasn't deserving"

Do you see the disconnect here?
                WOW you really get defensive when it comes to Lowry.....see what i did there? Two can play that game. Feeling like Derozan was more deserving that Lowry is not an anti-Lowry comment either. Your opinion is that he was the Heart & Soul of the Raptors.....My opinion is that Demar and Amir are. They've been here the longest and they are co-captians. Lowry is very important....please don't get it twisted.

What i said was "the Raptor's deserved two all-stars (Demar and Kyle)"

what you read...."Lowry isn't more deserving"

Do you see the disconnect here? You make up shit i didnt even write.

Comment

WOW you really get defensive when it comes to Lowry.....see what i did there? Two can play that game. Feeling like Derozan was more deserving that Lowry is not an anti-Lowry comment either. Your opinion is that he was the Heart & Soul of the Raptors.....My opinion is that Demar and Amir are. They've been here the longest and they are co-captians. Lowry is very important....please don't get it twisted.

special1 wrote: View Post
                  I was referring to the bolded part, which had nothing to do with rationale for voting, and was just a snarky remark. I never said DeRozan wasn't deserving. I absolutely agreed that they were both deserving, especially over Joe Johnson, but I was willing to bet they wouldn't both make it because of politics (as I said in the related pre-all start game threads). I felt Lowry was even more deserving, but expected DeRozan to be the one Raptor to be named (based on reputation and popularity).

I'm just not sure how you took me saying that of two legitimately deserving guys I felt Lowry was slightly more deserving, to mean that I was suddenly making a myriad excuses for DeRozan making it... there was absolutely no malice in my statement, yet you felt the need to rub my nose in DeRozan's selection... I just don't get it.

I'm done. This is off-topic and I feel like a rational discussion about DeRozan is nearly impossible to be had with you. I know where you stand and I've tried to make my stance known as best I can.

Cheers
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Apr 7, 2014, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• Why stop at Derozan? Why not let Lowry walk, move Amir, let Patterson and Vasquez walk. They'll have tonnes of financial flexibility. They may even be able to get some second round picks in sign and trades. Think of the cheap short term contracts!!! Players? Who needs players? We got the best WS/$ ratio in the NBA!!!!! In fact, the Raptors should trade all their players for draft picks. Think of the value!

Comment

• DeRozan has improved every season in the league. Throw him overboard for some lottery tickets?

First, you are not going to get a high pick in this draft and another player for him. That only happened with Holiday because last year's draft class was perceived to be so weak. Nobody with a high pick is going to give it to you for DeRozan. That's a pipe dream. We don't even know what Noel can do at the next level yet and people are calling it a win for the 76ers. It's a POTENTIAL win for them. But we have no idea yet. And the Raptors have zero shot at getting the same level of return. Point guards are more important than shooting guards. And this draft is perceived as very strong while last year was perceived as very weak.

Second, who's going to fill DeRozan's role on the Raptors? Do the Raptors have another guy who can carry the scoring load that I'm unaware of? Ross is a nice player, but he's not shown he can be more than a complimentary guy yet. DeRozan gets to the line at such a prodigious rate. Why gut a good team to "hope" that you can get lucky with whatever young players you bring back? You're not going to get a shot at a game-changing talent in return. And in the process you will have traded away a young and gifted player who actually LIKES playing in Toronto and is paid a very reasonable salary.

These guys like playing together, and they play well together. You don't dump a core piece of that for "prospects" unless you're just going to tank (like say... Philly did). And there's no reason to do that. Miami is going to decline at some point in the next 2-3 years. Indiana is not a juggernaut. What's the downside of trying to build on what they have now?
                      You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                        Why stop at Derozan? Why not let Lowry walk, move Amir, let Patterson and Vasquez walk. They'll have tonnes of financial flexibility. They may even be able to get some second round picks in sign and trades. Think of the cheap short term contracts!!! Players? Who needs players? We got the best WS/$ ratio in the NBA!!!!! In fact, the Raptors should trade all their players for draft picks. Think of the value!
                        Guys, the discussion has clearly gone totally off the rails if slaw is being this sarcastic...

Comment

Calgary Raps Fan and Tim Leiweke?

OR

Special1?

I'm going CRF and Timmy.

Go check the George Strombo thread with the full Leiweke interview. Go to 5:40. This is Lowry's team.

Comment

• I'll laugh if the raps trade DD and he starts averaging 25-5-5 with improved defense and three point shooting on a new team.

Comment

I was referring to the bolded part, which had nothing to do with rationale for voting, and was just a snarky remark. I never said DeRozan wasn't deserving. I absolutely agreed that they were both deserving, especially over Joe Johnson, but I was willing to bet they wouldn't both make it because of politics (as I said in the related pre-all start game threads). I felt Lowry was even more deserving, but expected DeRozan to be the one Raptor to be named (based on reputation and popularity).

I'm just not sure how you took me saying that of two legitimately deserving guys I felt Lowry was slightly more deserving, to mean that I was suddenly making a myriad excuses for DeRozan making it... there was absolutely no malice in my statement, yet you felt the need to rub my nose in DeRozan's selection... I just don't get it.

I'm done. This is off-topic and I feel like a rational discussion about DeRozan is nearly impossible to be had with you. I know where you stand and I've tried to make my stance known as best I can.

Cheers
                              OK I see where you got confused. My statement below....

Wasn't even really a shot at you....yet you took it personal. It's a pity because i felt we were having a decent discussion. Seriously, why do you care that i don't agree with EVERYTHING you write? You think Lowry is more deserving.....I think Derozan was. We both think they BOTH deserved it so whats the big deal?? Check my comments in this thread....its pretty clear i said to cut the crap BECAUSE they both deserved to be in the all-star game.

Comment

• I think DD will get traded in the summer for whoever picks A.Wiggins, might get traded to the 76ers for A.Wiggins + late Pick! Then we roll with

Lowry/Vazquez/DeColo
                                Ross/V.Carter (Signed)/
                                Wiggins/Fields/Novak
                                FA/2Pat/Hansborough
                                Val/Backup C/Hayes

Amir will get traded to + fillers

In a few years, we should be a championship team build with an experienced Wiggins, a good defender post up of a PF, Valanciunas.

Comment

Working...
                                X