No announcement yet.

JV Arrested for DUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And this is just anecdotal evidence from Doug Smith, but still thought I'd post it so people don't rush to judgment as if the kid is suddenly a jackass and deserves to be hanged...

It is a very serious thing, a huge lapse in judgment and he put others at risk, along with himself. It was stupid, pure and simple.

I will say this, though: I’ve seen him out for dinner a handful of times over the course of the season, the most recently being at an upscale joint in Cleveland the last time we were there and I don’t recall ever seeing him with a beer or even a glass of wine in front of him.
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/doug_s...e_learned.html

Just seems to be the mistake you make when you're young and naive. Doesn't seem to be the result of an arrogant narcissist who things he's beyond consequences or some such.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      Either his really dumb or extremely selfish. The timing of the whole situation is terrible! Team chemistry at all time high. In a playoffs race with 2 other teams. I know I'm known as the local JV basher but this is inexplicable. This is who you guys want to be the face of the franchise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      If he plays like one, then why not? At least he's not being charged with something serious like Kobe's rape.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
        Christ, DUI's are no big deal in Canada I guess...every day shit up here. Christ guys, this speaks to a larger issue, doesn't anyone see that?

Just because it's JV, and just becasue it's a Raptor, or just because it might affect the standings or our Atlantic division title, or it wouldn't be fair to his teammates, doesn't mean jack shit in the bigger picture of social responsibility.

If MLSE or the Raps can be proactive here (if they are allowed to as per 3inthekeon's post), then they should be. It could mean alot to changing people's perspectives on DUI's, because right now, it's almost like it's ok if you don't get caught or hurt somebody.
        I have two points:

1. I agree with you completely about how it speaks to a bigger issue, and that the perspective on DUIs is fucked. I can't even believe what I'm reading sometimes.

2. I don't think there's enough information to make an example out of JV. We just don't know enough facts at this point. I'm not saying he should be let off the hook, only that we as outsiders don't know enough about the situation.

Comment

Either his really dumb or extremely selfish. The timing of the whole situation is terrible! Team chemistry at all time high. In a playoffs race with 2 other teams. I know I'm known as the local JV basher but this is inexplicable. This is who you guys want to be the face of the franchise?

To be a face (among several) of the franchise: yes.

If you think others on this team (Lowry, Amir, DeMar, Ross, Pat, etc) have never done anything stupid that could be this kind of newsworthy or even possibly illegal, you're pretty naive. It was a dumb mistake and he got caught for it. It doesn't make him a bad guy to build around, or a bad guy at all in general.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            And this is just anecdotal evidence from Doug Smith, but still thought I'd post it so people don't rush to judgment as if the kid is suddenly a jackass and deserves to be hanged...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/doug_s...e_learned.html

Just seems to be the mistake you make when you're young and naive. Doesn't seem to be the result of an arrogant narcissist who things he's beyond consequences or some such.
            Smith's article brought up another point. If the friends he was with knew what he was going to do, if I were Masai, I'd be strongly suggesting he get some different "friends".
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• JV Arrested for DUI

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              To be a face (among several) of the franchise: yes.

If you think others on this team (Lowry, Amir, DeMar, Ross, Pat, etc) have never done anything stupid that could be this kind of newsworthy or even possibly illegal, you're pretty naive. It was a dumb mistake and he got caught for it. It doesn't make him a bad guy to build around, or a bad guy at all in general.

I go with facts. Facts are that those guys you've mentioned haven't be arrested before. Actually no Raptor(while they were a raptor) in history has never been caught with something of the sort.

Also he choice to exclude himself from the team. The whole team was at the Blue Jays game. Everyone but him.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                Smith's article brought up another point. If the friends he was with knew what he was going to do, if I were Masai, I'd be strongly suggesting he get some different "friends".
                Well first and foremost you suggest simple things that have been brought up in this thread:

-Get a driver. This should be a no brainer.
                -These guys can also easily have cars the built in breathalizers that will prevent you from driving if you've had too much to drink.

The first especially. As for friends, it's hard to control a player's social life, but you can definitely bring it up.

Comment

I go with facts. Facts are that those guys you've mentioned haven't be arrested before. Actually no Raptor(while they were a raptor) in history has never been caught with something of the sort.

Kyle lowry was charged with battery on female ref. So yes, he was arrested back in 2012.
                  Last edited by rocwell; Tue Apr 8, 2014, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Also he choice to exclude himself from the team. The whole team was at the Blue Jays game. Everyone but him.

As has been pointed out, it was likely for a Lithuanian event of some sort. He was with his wife and friends. So a guy isn't allowed to have a life outside the team when they have 4 days between games? Especially a social event having to do with his roots when he's 1000s of kms from home? Yeah, what a douchebag...

By all accounts (his team, his bosses, the media...all parties that are around him most of the time) this is very out of character for JV. By Doug Smith's accounts (for whatever that's worth), he doesn't even seem to be a kid who really even drinks when the team is out on the road. But lets all turn on him, question his ability, his humanity and everything else about him. Clearly he's a piece of shit who has no concern for human life, no self-respect, no love or respect for his team or the organization...

Comment

Well first and foremost you suggest simple things that have been brought up in this thread:

-Get a driver. This should be a no brainer.
                      -These guys can also easily have cars the built in breathalizers that will prevent you from driving if you've had too much to drink.

The first especially. As for friends, it's hard to control a player's social life, but you can definitely bring it up.
                      I didn't suggest the other things, not that I disagree. And yeah, it's actually impossible to have anywhere near full control over a players social life.

However my point was that if the people he was with knew what he was going to do, they are not friends at all, and Masai should do much more than merely "bring it up".
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                        I didn't suggest the other things, not that I disagree. And yeah, it's actually impossible to have anywhere near full control over a players social life.

However my point was that if the people he was with knew what he was going to do, they are not friends at all, and Masai should do much more than merely "bring it up".
                        I know you didn't, the "you" was what Masai would probably suggest, especially the first...after chewing him out and putting the fear of Masaiah into him.

Comment

I don't think you could find a single person here who thinks JV will ever be good enough to be the best player on a legitimate team, or, if you will, the "face of a franchise", so I'm not sure where this straw man came from.
                          "Stop eating your sushi."
                          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                            I have two points:

1. I agree with you completely about how it speaks to a bigger issue, and that the perspective on DUIs is fucked. I can't even believe what I'm reading sometimes.

2. I don't think there's enough information to make an example out of JV. We just don't know enough facts at this point. I'm not saying he should be let off the hook, only that we as outsiders don't know enough about the situation.
                            I'm a huge JV fan... extremely disappointing news. I also agree that this needs to be taken seriously and I voted on the RR poll that the team should suspend him a couple games ASAP. However, one stat to keep in mind when everyone starts throwing stones at him for this is this: You are 4 times more likely to get into an accident when you drink and drive and you are 23 times more likely to get in an accident if you text and drive. Maybe none of you text and drive, but I would guess that's not the case. Not saying that drinking and driving is better, just trying to state that our perspective on safe driving needs to change.

As a side, I respect Demar and Masai even more after listening to how they are dealing with it.
                            “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                            ― John Wooden

Comment

I know you didn't, the "you" was what Masai would probably suggest, especially the first...after chewing him out and putting the fear of Masaiah into him.
                              My fault on the "you" - skim reading.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                                I don't think you could find a single person here who thinks JV will ever be good enough to be the best player on a legitimate team, or, if you will, the "face of a franchise", so I'm not sure where this straw man came from.
                                I'm still hoping.
                                "Bruno?
                                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X