JV Arrested for DUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandit wrote: View Post
    The argument is flawed however, since it simply measures the only quantifiable aspect to determine how "drunk" someone is. A hardcore alcoholic would need to blow wayyyyyyy over .08 before they probably have a noticeable impact (like weaving through the road, uncontrolled etc). So tolerance and how you're body handles it is a major factor.

I'm 6'6 and 230, and don't drink very often. If I'm working on the yard or something a half dozen beer and I could feel fine. Sometimes though I have 2 and you couldn't pay me enough money to get behind a wheel.

Guess the point I'm making is this: For a big Lithuanian man like Jonas, who probably has some experience drinking, he was probably functioning quite well. I don't think he got behind the wheel thinking he was in any way dangering anyone. And if it weren't for the open beer bottles (Pure idiocy) he probably would've been fine. He admitted to the police he had some drinks and that's what's gonna be his problem.

So yes he broke the law and in no way is that acceptable, but he didnt (based off of speculation) put anyone in danger the same way Kidd did, and that is huge. I'm thinking a good apology (from what I've read it sounds like he was sincere to his team), a nice donation of his time, and whatever the law decides. I don't think he deserves to be made an example of but should be treated like any hard working 21 year old who made a bad decision and was caught without any damage to anyone. People make mistakes, if you do it reasonably no one should get hurt
    The way breathalyzers work is they measure the percentage of alcohol in someone's blood.

Generally bigger people have more blood/body fat, which is why more beers = less drunk = blow less on the breathalyzer.

Generally alcoholics process alcohol faster, so again, more beer = less drunk = blow less on the breathalyzer.

The breathalyzer is supposed to overcome the issue of different people consuming different amounts of alcohol leading to different drunkenness.

The reason why the law is a hard scientific line as opposed to how sober someone acts is largely because when drunk, a person's judgement is impaired. They may think they're acting more sober than they really are (who hasn't felt this way?).

Finally, most people who get behind the wheel drunk have no intention of injuring someone either. People most likely WERE in just as much danger as when Kidd drove, JV just didn't happen to hit anyone/anything.

Having said all this, I'm a firm believer that all issues should be handled legally, and I'm not advocating for the franchise to impose any additional consequences above and beyond those stated in the CBA.
    Last edited by stooley; Tue Apr 8, 2014, 03:01 PM.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
      I suppose the proper punishment is to bring him out before the crowd during half time tie ropes to his arm...stretch him, if he still wont kiss the kings emblem and declare himself a loyal subject, tie him down, disembowel and castrate him. If he still won't submit to our lords will, and cries out something stupid like "freeeeeeedddoooooooomm!"....well we can just cut off his head in front of his ghost of a wife and few loyal generals.
      A live execution would surly bring more ratings!

But all seriousness I wouldn't suspend him. Every player should be treated differently based on his history on how he conducted himself and up to this point JV was a model citizen both on and off the court (also he was arrested and not convicted so he deserved his due process in court as well). I am sure if you tell him to do some volunteer work for MADD, he will bring more awareness to the issue and thus it will be a win-win situation for all.

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
        Public statement from the man himself:

"Hello, I am Jonas Valanciunas. I am Lithuanian centre for the Toronto Raptors. I would like to everyone to know that drinking and driving is never good things. That's why I take the bottle with me. That way I can drink as soon as I'm finish driving. I hope everyone can understand this. As the mayor say, "it's was just a drunken stupor!" I apologize once more times and I hope to help the Raptors to many wicktories in the playoffs."
        I laughed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        OG is our king

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
          The way breathalyzers work is they measure the percentage of alcohol in someone's blood.

Generally bigger people have more blood/body fat, which is why more beers = less drunk = blow less on the breathalyzer.

Generally alcoholics process alcohol faster, so again, more beer = less drunk = blow less on the breathalyzer.

The breathalyzer is supposed to overcome the issue of different people consuming different amounts of alcohol leading to different drunkenness.

The reason why the law is a hard scientific line as opposed to how sober someone acts is largely because when drunk, a person's judgement is impaired. They may think they're acting more sober than they really are (who hasn't felt this way?).

Finally, most people who get behind the wheel drunk have no intention of injuring someone either. People most likely WERE in just as much danger as when Kidd drove, JV just didn't happen to hit anyone/anything.

Having said all this, I'm a firm believer that all issues should be handled legally, and I'm not advocating for the franchise to impose any additional consequences above and beyond those stated in the CBA.
          Yes size plays a role in it and I would agree that the effect would be = between people of all sizes who have the same %. Poor argument on my side there

On the matter of alcoholics, I don't believe it is a matter of processing the alcohol so much as it is a matter of tolerance. I always think of a story my mom told me ( registered nurse ) about a man who walked himself into the ER because he had crushed his hand working on his car or something like that. He was completely coherent and was fully responsive but reeked of alcohol. They tested his blood and it turned out he was at .24 or something ridiculous, a number that if the average person were to reach would cause severe damage if not death.

I agree with you that the law is a hard line simply to cover the base off of what should be reasonable for the least experienced 18 year old drinker. Anything beyond that point could be considered an issue for anyone and I think it's quite reasonable.

Now as to someone being in as much danger between JV and Kidd I disagree. That largely depends on their brains ability to cope with the alcohol, and their blood percentage. .08 isn't a hard line that once you pass it doesn't get worse. The more you drink the worse your ability to manage a vehicle will get. Essentially I believe JV had more control over his vehicle than Kidd could've had, and in turn his brain.

100% in agreement with "leave the law to the law"

Comment

• Just a question, if jonas is proven guilty in his court date in April. Will the nba suspend him for 2 playoff games. If so I think we might be fucked
            I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
              Just a question, if jonas is proven guilty in his court date in April. Will the nba suspend him for 2 playoff games. If so I think we might be fucked
              his court date in april isn't the trial. he doesn't even have to show up for that one, just send his lawyer.

the real court date won't be for a year or so i'd bet.
              "Bruno?
              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                Just a question, if jonas is proven guilty in his court date in April. Will the nba suspend him for 2 playoff games. If so I think we might be fucked
                He can't be found guilty on 22nd April.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                  his court date in april isn't the trial. he doesn't even have to show up for that one, just send his lawyer.

the real court date won't be for a year or so i'd bet.
                  rocwell wrote: View Post
                  Still though, there has to be concern if the team is on the playoff path again next year.

Comment

• Next time Rob Ford and I wanna go on a crack binge in Willowridge, we're calling JV to be our driver. We don't need to take that chance anymore...

Comment

• Val can also plead guilty to something that won't affect the Raptors other than the 2 game suspension.
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                        Damn Canadian law fucks with my head sometimes
                        I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Its easy to understand why he was drinking
                          With Dwane Casey's inconsistent rotations and pulling you out of the game when you are killing it, you would drink too

Comment

• Masaj on JV:

http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/201...RIflv-3229523/

Kyle, Demar too
                            Last edited by rocwell; Tue Apr 8, 2014, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• Either his really dumb or extremely selfish. The timing of the whole situation is terrible! Team chemistry at all time high. In a playoffs race with 2 other teams. I know I'm known as the local JV basher but this is inexplicable. This is who you guys want to be the face of the franchise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X