JV Arrested for DUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post
    I don't know, but I am guessing that 2/3 of the people on this board that drive and are old enough to drink, and are under the age of 40 have driven with an alcohol content over .08 sometime in the last month, if not more frequently.

To me the concerning thing is not that he had enough to drink to go over the limit (the fact that the police didn't post a number suggests to me he was just slightly over the limit) because that's easy to do, and not the fact that he didn't have a driver because Jesus, sometimes a celeb wants time on their own, but that he was stupid enough to drive with bottles of beer visible in the car. That's just plain silly. On the other hand, as numerous folks have pointed out, he's 20. He will learn from this. I am sure he will never wander into the dressing room with a handgun, or be caught sponsoring a pit dog fight, or smacking his wife around, or gambling on NBA games. Just my feeling on the matter. He's a human being. The fact that he is also a highly paid professional athlete doesn't mean he isn't prone to all the same mistakes and foibles all of us are.
    Just addressing the variety of comments that this is something all kids/people do and/or its more stupid to get caught with open bottles etc:

I'm in my late 20's and have had (and still have) an above average party life over my years. I have seen people drink and drive (especial in rural settings) many times and have myself questioned whether or not I would "blow over" after 2 drinks over dinner/wings on no more than 3 occasions. The fact that someone gets caught is far less disappointing than the fact that the person has got away with it on many occasions - Conservative estimates show first-time DUI has driven drunk 80 times prior to being arrested according to Wisconsin Department of Transportation. I think someone that has reason to believe a person is driving while intoxicated should be at risk of being charged with obstruction of justice/being an accomplice (including drive-thru workers) or at the very least be at risk of a hefty fine. If people know they are unlikely to be caught the majority of them will continue to drink and drive.

I have also played with high-end breathalyzers and found them to be a relatively inaccurate way to measure impairment. The depend largely on blood volumes and would often lower as more time went on/liquor was consumed. They literally measure the amount of alcohol in your blood and do not account for tolerance, blood volumes and actual impairment levels. Field sobriety tests are however quite accurate and cops are very well trained to assess DUI's.

DEAR Raptors and JV - I think the best way for the team to handle this from both a PR and strategy is (assuming admission to DUI) to immediately suspend him for "conduct detrimental to the team" etc for most if not all the remainder of the regular season while publicly making it clear that this will not be tolerated under this organization (for all the talk of only bringing in "character guys"). Also make a large sum donation to MADD etc (preferably from his pocket) and have JV volunteer to a few hundred hours of community service of their choice. Then the right message will be made in the media and the NBA will be put in situation to lessen or dismiss their suspension during the playoffs/next season while also likely lessening the pressure on the courts to make an example of him as a celebrity/public figure.
    When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

• I just can't trust JV judgement anymore. What was he doing at Wassaga Beach in early April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        I just can't trust JV judgement anymore. What was he doing at Wassaga Beach in early April.

From Grange article:

Most of the team gathered Sunday afternoon at Rogers Centre where the Raptors had three suites reserved. DeMar DeRozan threw out the first pitch at the Jays-Yankees game and it’s estimated as many as 70 members of the Raptors extended family were on hand – most players; the coaching staff; members of the front office and friends and family.

One of the few players who didn’t go to the game was Valanciunas, who opted to go with his wife and friends to the Georgian Bay beach community about two hours from Toronto. Wasaga has long been a popular getaway for Toronto’s tightly-knit Lithuanian community – there is an international Lithuanian softball tournament there every summer and a Lithuanian church as well.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
          From Grange article:

Most of the team gathered Sunday afternoon at Rogers Centre where the Raptors had three suites reserved. DeMar DeRozan threw out the first pitch at the Jays-Yankees game and it’s estimated as many as 70 members of the Raptors extended family were on hand – most players; the coaching staff; members of the front office and friends and family.

One of the few players who didn’t go to the game was Valanciunas, who opted to go with his wife and friends to the Georgian Bay beach community about two hours from Toronto. Wasaga has long been a popular getaway for Toronto’s tightly-knit Lithuanian community – there is an international Lithuanian softball tournament there every summer and a Lithuanian church as well.
          Now that's what I call having da scoop.

Comment

• Edgar wrote: View Post
            DEAR Raptors and JV - I think the best way for the team to handle this from both a PR and strategy is (assuming admission to DUI) to immediately suspend him for "conduct detrimental to the team" etc for most if not all the remainder of the regular season while publicly making it clear that this will not be tolerated under this organization
            What about the playoffs?

IMHO, it would also send a very strong message to JV. Dude should be more careful with so much on the line. I'd hate to see him get into a car accident while impaired. I think a lot of impressionable fans would benefit from a harsh penalty as well.

Comment

• BigCamB wrote: View Post
              He had conjunctivitis and so did a few of the others. He wasn't allowed to speak with media or get close to the team during practice the day before.
              First I've heard that Portland is in Washington, also.
              I didn't hear anything about this, I'm assuming this conjunctivitis makes your eyes look like they got sprayed with lemon juice?

Ya ya that's right, Seattle is the one that's in Washington

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                Also what was Jonas doing at McDonalds at 2:30AM?

Those kinds of nights don't end well for me at least
                Who ratted him out? The employee at McDonalds drive thru?

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                  Would it be safe to assume that if a worker at a drive thru called OPP about open beer bottles in a vehicle that they were just concerned citizen or that maybe the driver of the vehicle was behaving like a complete jackass? I've never worked at a drive thru before, but I imagine drunks are a common thing at 2:30 am. If it prompted someone to call OPP you can bet the driver was probably being an asshole or disorderly. JV has a lot of maturing to do and I felt that way even before this incident. Just hope it doesn't affect the Raptors playoff aspirations or his career.
                  For those posters that have been to Wasaga Beach will know that drinking and driving is a huge issue for locals. OPP frequently has spot checks on River Road. I wonder what triggered call to OPP? Generally locals are pretty good at assessing unsafe behavior versus minor nussiance issues . I can infer that he was engaging in obnoxious and abusive behavior.

Comment

• Sig wrote: View Post
                    If you get a chance to see the game at Portland this year, take a look at Terrence and you'll see it

Funny enough, Portland is in Washington.. Lol

Portland Oregon.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                      For those posters that have been to Wasaga Beach will know that drinking and driving is a huge issue for locals. OPP frequently has spot checks on River Road. I wonder what triggered call to OPP? Generally locals are pretty good at assessing unsafe behavior versus minor nussiance issues . I can infer that he was engaging in obnoxious and abusive behavior.
                      Lets not just start making these kinds of inferences.

It's possible that the drive thrus are expected to call police for any suspicious cases that may suggest drunk driving...being able to see open bottles would thus be enough. Maybe he was being obnoxious, maybe he wasn't the drive-thru people were just doing what they're supposed to do.

Comment

• [IMG] [/IMG]

Few uncomfortable minutes with media!

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                          Generally locals are pretty good at assessing unsafe behavior versus minor nussiance issues . I can infer that he was engaging in obnoxious and abusive behavior.
                          I wouldn't call driving drunk with open bottles in the car a "minor nuissance" issue.
                          I wouldn't need someone to be obnioxious or abusive to report them for drunk driving ...

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                            [IMG] [/IMG]

Few uncomfortable minutes with media!
                            "Jonas, do you have anything to say about being caught for DUI?"
                            "Err... uh... no... no English." **desperately tries to hide 7-foot body under a towel**
                            OG is our king

Comment

• I suppose the proper punishment is to bring him out before the crowd during half time tie ropes to his arm...stretch him, if he still wont kiss the kings emblem and declare himself a loyal subject, tie him down, disembowel and castrate him. If he still won't submit to our lords will, and cries out something stupid like "freeeeeeedddoooooooomm!"....well we can just cut off his head in front of his ghost of a wife and few loyal generals.
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• heh

Comment

Working...
                                X