Raptors TV broadcast thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I suppose my comments being considered "intelligent" is debatable. But to summarize, my opinion is that there are sports, and then there are pastimes. Although curling involves practice and skill, as Axel mentioned earlier, so does Bowling. It's not right to stand LeBron James and Kevin Martin (the curler) next to each other and call them both "athletes".

As for the strength of arguments, that's also debatable. I'd place more importance on Zack Lowe's opinions than Bill Walton's.
    This is stupid. What you define as a sport is subjective.

Lebron James is a far superior "athlete" to Kevin Martin, the curler. Does this make what Lebron does more admirable? Maybe. To some people it does. To some people it doesn't.

I don't see what the issue is here with you two.

PS: the merriam-webster definition of sport (the noun):

: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

: sports in general

: a physical activity (such as hunting, fishing, running, swimming, etc.) that is done for enjoyment
    Last edited by stooley; Wed Apr 9, 2014, 03:32 PM.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I suppose my comments being considered "intelligent" is debatable. But to summarize, my opinion is that there are sports, and then there are pastimes. Although curling involves practice and skill, as Axel mentioned earlier, so does Bowling. It's not right to stand LeBron James and Kevin Martin (the curler) next to each other and call them both "athletes".

As for the strength of arguments, that's also debatable. I'd place more importance on Zack Lowe's opinions than Bill Walton's.
      I consider any game that involves any physical component beyond simply using ones fingers skillfully to be a sport (ie Krokano is not a sport, nor is PicK-Up-Sticks). (You could talk me into including darts as a game, although if we want to be real, it's actually elbow down.) Anything that involves skilled fingers alone, or is purely mental (ie checkers and chess) is a game. Bowling is a sport. Some would say a lesser sport, but a sport nonetheless.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
        This is stupid. What you define as a sport is subjective.

Lebron James is a far superior "athlete" to Kevin Martin, the curler. Does this make what Lebron does more admirable? Maybe. To some people it does. To some people it doesn't.

I don't see what the issue is here with you two.
        Everything ever written in these forums (besides referenced statistics) is subjective.

I'm sure most readers on this site would agree that Lebron is a far superior athlete to Kevin Martin (the curler). And that's how this all ties into the OP. Superior athletes should, in an ideal world, get more TV exposure than lesser ones.

This politically correct notion that "everything is equal" is clouding reality.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
          I consider any game that involves any physical component beyond simply using ones fingers skillfully to be a sport (ie Krokano is not a sport, nor is PicK-Up-Sticks). (You could talk me into including darts as a game, although if we want to be real, it's actually elbow down.) Anything that involves skilled fingers alone, or is purely mental (ie checkers and chess) is a game. Bowling is a sport. Some would say a lesser sport, but a sport nonetheless.
          Fair enough. But my point is less about the semantics, and more about the clear physical distinction between basketball and curling from an athletic standpoint.

Comment

Everything ever written in these forums (besides referenced statistics) is subjective.

I'm sure most readers on this site would agree that Lebron is a far superior athlete to Kevin Martin (the curler). And that's how this all ties into the OP. Superior athletes should, in an ideal world, get more TV exposure than lesser ones.

This politically correct notion that "everything is equal" is clouding reality.
            Well my point is ok, your opinion is valid. But where does this argument lead? Debating whether Basketball or Curling are more legitimate sports is like debating whether blue is better than red.

There is no objective reason for superior athletes to get more TV exposure than lesser ones. What Kevin Martin does debatably requires more skill and finesse than what Lebron James does, and he debatably conducts himself in a more professional manner.

So how do you decide which of those things should, in an ideal world, get more TV exposure? You don't. What gets more TV exposure is what people want to watch, and clearly, in Canada, it is curling.

Therefore, clearly, many people believe that Curling is deserving of more airtime than Basketball, and I'd imagine that they have some reason, equally as legitimate as yours, for thinking that.
            Last edited by stooley; Wed Apr 9, 2014, 03:45 PM.
            "Bruno?
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I have no issue including stuff like bowling, golf, curling, auto racing, etc... as sports, but that's not really the issue.

The issue is that none of those secondary sports should ever take priority over the big-4 sports, especially over Canada's lone NBA franchise, on Canada's premier sports networks.

Hockey, I get, especially when Canadian NHL teams are involved. Same with baseball and the Blue Jays. I would hope that the Raptors would come 3rd, ahead of football (NFL with no Canadian teams and the CFL), considering a national (opposed to regional/provincial) audience on the main network.

Comment

How did this become basketball vs curling? Old people like curling. Case closed.
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                  Well my point is ok, your opinion is valid. But where does this argument lead? Debating whether Basketball or Curling are more legitimate sports is like debating whether blue is better than red.

There is no objective reason for superior athletes to get more TV exposure than lesser ones. What Kevin Martin does debatably requires more skill and finesse than what Lebron James does, and he debatably conducts himself in a more professional manner.

So how do you decide which of those things should, in an ideal world, get more TV exposure? You don't. What gets more TV exposure is what people want to watch, and clearly, in Canada, it is curling.
                  Well blue and red are both considered "colours". But which is the better colour between blue and ravioli?

Yes, people want to watch curling in Canada more so than basketball. And that's what annoys me. I'd be just as annoyed if TSN was bumping the Raptors for the Spelling Bee (regardless of what the viewership dictates).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    I have no issue including stuff like bowling, golf, curling, auto racing, etc... as sports, but that's not really the issue.

The issue is that none of those secondary sports should ever take priority over the big-4 sports, especially over Canada's lone NBA franchise, on Canada's premier sports networks.

Hockey, I get, especially when Canadian NHL teams are involved. Same with baseball and the Blue Jays. I would hope that the Raptors would come 3rd, ahead of football (NFL with no Canadian teams and the CFL), considering a national (opposed to regional/provincial) audience on the main network.
                    Football (nfl or cfl) is way ahead of the raptors. Football is number 2 in this country
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

I'd argue that the big 4 are only the big 4 because of the number of fans each has.

So in Canada, if there are more curling fans than basketball fans, should basketball even be considered a big 4 sport? Especially when we're talking about one game out of 82 compared to one, annual, world championships.

One thing I do have issue with is poor management of airtime. Like airing sportsnet when the game is still going.
                      "Bruno?
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Yes, people want to watch curling in Canada more so than basketball. And that's what annoys me. I'd be just as annoyed if TSN was bumping the Raptors for the Spelling Bee (regardless of what the viewership dictates).
                        This is the heart of the issue.

Seemingly, basketball doesn't get the respect we think it deserves in Canada.
                        "Bruno?
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          Football (nfl or cfl) is way ahead of the raptors. Football is number 2 in this country
                          Agreed, but unfortunate. And of course I'd never expect a regular season Raptors game to bump the CFL from TSN's main network on a Friday night, considering their Friday night football block, as an example.

I think it's the idea of the Raptors getting bumped to TSN2 (or Sportsnet equivalent) in favor of a non big-4 sporting event (ie: curling, nascar, etc...). It's a matter of principle, likely VS viewership/advertising $ facts. I would just like to see the networks make an effort to promote the NBA and especially the Raptors, precisely to build the national fan base, which would increase viewership and advertising $ over the long-term.

Comment

This thread would totally have died a day or two ago....if there wasn't such a big gap between games.

Comment

Now let's talk about why Big Bang Theory is still on.

Comment

Now let's talk about why Big Bang Theory is still on.
                                I have no explanation. The jokes got old like 7 or 8 seasons ago and I haven't seen an episode since. *Or however long since the first or second season.

Comment

Working...
                                X