Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLSE and Bon Jovi getting Toronto an NFL team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea Buffalo turns into Detroit if the Bills leaves there economy is so dependant on them...but in saying that I still want them in Toronto purely for selfish reason lol I agree all the connections are in place here...and from what Ive seen from TL so far...the man gets things done & builds winners

Comment

JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
      Why not?
      It comes down to "who's building this potential NBA team a stadium," since Skydome isn't big enough by NFL stadium standards - its capacity for NFL football is 54,000, which would make it the third-smallest stadium in the NFL (the only two that are smaller are Minnesota, which was the result of a special deal with the state, and Oakland, which was built in 1966). Which means the NFL will almost certainly demand a new stadium, especially considering the tradeoffs of a Canadian team (read: lower TV ratings for regular-season Toronto games in the USA).

Which means any potential ownership group has to find money to build a stadium, and frankly, there aren't a lot of people who want public money going towards another stadium right now, and public money would almost certainly be necessary to get it done.

Comment

On the positive side for the Raptors, should this pipedream ever actually come to fruition, I wonder if the presence of an NFL team would finally help dispel some of the myths players/agents perpetuate? It could prove to be hugely beneficial for the Raptors' ability to lure big-name free agents, since so many of them are passionate NFL fans.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          On the positive side for the Raptors, should this pipedream ever actually come to fruition, I wonder if the presence of an NFL team would finally help dispel some of the myths players/agents perpetuate? It could prove to be hugely beneficial for the Raptors' ability to lure big-name free agents, since so many of them are passionate NFL fans.
          Ironic you should mention free agent signings by the Raps gets helped because of the NFL. As we know the NFL has a free agent fest each year (the turnover is atrocious due to their cba and non guaranteed contracts). What if the NFLer f/a decided to think of the TO team location to be a backwater too!!

Comment

RepTdot wrote: View Post
            I've been following this for some time...there is a great chance this happens..

1. Ralph Wilson was never gonna sell the team while he was alive but always planned on selling the team once he died...the original plan back in 2007 was to sell the team to Ted Rogers to move to Toronto upon Wilson's death..unfortunately Rogers died just a year later with Wilson outliving him.

2. Im pretty sure Bon Jovi is just a pawn in the big picture...MLSE & Leiwieke is pulling the strings here...i assume the plan here is since the NFL rules require an individual to be the face of ownership in a franchise..not a corporation...Bon Jovi (a NY state resident with close ties to Liewieke) buys the team to be the front man with MLSE funding the majority of the purchase (70%), Jovi keeps the team in Buffallo till the end of the 2019 season when the lease with the Raplh Wilson stadium can be bought out for $28million instead of the $400 million cost otherwise, allowing Toronto & MLSE 6 years to build an NFL stadium here. It is very exciting time to be an NFL fan in Toronto cause this has a good chance of happening.
            Hope this is true.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
              Ironic you should mention free agent signings by the Raps gets helped because of the NFL. As we know the NFL has a free agent fest each year (the turnover is atrocious due to their cba and non guaranteed contracts). What if the NFLer f/a decided to think of the TO team location to be a backwater too!!
              it's certainly possible. But wasn't Buffalo already a backwater team? Might still be a step up for that organization if it happened.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                it's certainly possible. But wasn't Buffalo already a backwater team? Might still be a step up for that organization if it happened.
                Quite right and the test in the immortal words of one Joakim Noah (about Cleveland) was ..."Nobody says they went on a vacation to Cleveland...right?". Ouch.

I was actually thinking of those other bugaboos...taxes, customs/immigration and of course no ESPN.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                  Quite right and the test in the immortal words of one Joakim Noah (about Cleveland) was ..."Nobody says they went on a vacation to Cleveland...right?". Ouch.

I was actually thinking of those other bugaboos...taxes, customs/immigration and of course no ESPN.
                  Oh for sure...but you might be ok with that to actually play in a city with, you know, stuff to do/see and things to spend your money on (other than hot wings) rather than in a cesspool like Buffalo

Comment

I honestly would rather not have the NFL here in Toronto. Had the CFL and the NFL been the same type of sport, this could have worked like how the CHL is to the NHL.

Toronto has the Argos, and the CFL still exists. I think putting an NFL team in Toronto would kill the league or at least the Argos, and at the same time, I think the Toronto NFL team would get the same treatment and bias like the other Canadian teams experience in American sports leagues. Then we will have another bad Toronto team to add to our sporting woes.

Why not just have an exhibition between an NFL team and the Argos or the CFL all-star team? Maybe try to compromise the rules and what not, but I read on wikipedia that they used to do this before.

Comment

Working...
                    X