Executive of the Year? Who gets it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
    Speaking of Washington am I the only person who forgets Otto Porter Jr was the 3rd (!!!!) pick in the draft? He's been injured but it's ridiculous how little he's done.
    At least he made $13,580 per minute played!
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
      Oshley didn't really do anything this year to make Portland relevant again.. they just were.
      Rarely is award given on one year of work.... Key word is rarely.

With Oshley he drafted lillard 2 drafts ago then last year he added Lopez, mo Williams, wright.

I think he deserves credit... Maybe not EoY but recognition for sure.

Comment

I think it comes down to a battle between McDonough and Masai.

Masai's best moves: Trading Bargnani and Gay
        McDonough's best moves: Trading for Bledsoe , Trading for Plumlee&Green (for Scola), drafting Len and hiring Hornacek

Masai's team has 48 wins (possibly 49), won their division and will be in the playoffs. +14 win (possibly +15) turnaround
        McDonough's team has 47 wins (possibly 48), and will not be in the playoffs. +22 win (possibly +23) turnaround.

I think McDonough should win, but wouldn't be surprised at all if Masai gets it.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          I think it comes down to a battle between McDonough and Masai.

Masai's best moves: Trading Bargnani and Gay
          McDonough's best moves: Trading for Bledsoe , Trading for Plumlee&Green (for Scola), drafting Len and hiring Hornacek

Masai's team has 48 wins (possibly 49), won their division and will be in the playoffs. +14 win (possibly +15) turnaround
          McDonough's team has 47 wins (possibly 48), and will not be in the playoffs. +22 win (possibly +23) turnaround.

I think McDonough should win, but wouldn't be surprised at all if Masai gets it.
          He was my EOY but since they missed the playoffs after losing the key game at home, I'm gonna give it to Masai. Aside from trading away Bargs and Gay, he also added key pieces to the roster for cheap like Tyler and Nando. And he also brought in a coaching personnel to assist Casey esp in the offense, Bayno and Nurse.

What happens next year would really be the test for Masai. Bec BC also made the playoffs in his first year, won the division, but lost their 1st round series. He also won EOY that year I believe. The rest is history.

Darryl Morey of the Rockets would also be there for signing Howard.

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
            What happens next year would really be the test for Masai. Bec BC also made the playoffs in his first year, won the division, but lost their 1st round series. He also won EOY that year I believe. The rest is history.
            Was thinking the same thing. Masai has matched BC so far, (but uped his 47 wins to 48)

BC did also manage to trade Hoffa for Kris Humphries, didn't he?

Not comparing the two, just saying, BC was seen as God for a little while.
            By myself included.

Comment

Has EoY ever been awarded to the executive of a team that didn't make the playoffs?

I just scanned the list of past winners, and from my memory all the recent ones were playoff teams.
              Last edited by ezz_bee; Wed Apr 16, 2014, 09:24 AM.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I'm still convinced that MacDonagh was trying to make the Suns as bad as possible this year. And to be honest, I'm not entirely convinced that Ujiri wasn't trying to position himself for a top five draft slot when he swung the Rudy Gay deal. I find it a little ironic that these two seem to be the consensus finalists for the Executive of the Year award.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  The haul for Bargnani has to be factored in as well.

Phoenix will likely get some attention as well, for bringing in Dragic and having so much unexpected success (would be top-4 in the EC), while also being extremely well positioned for the future (multiple 1st round picks in multiple years, as well as a ton of cap space). Maybe a consolation prize, of sorts?
                  I don't think suprised seasons like what the Suns and Raps should get any consideration .. The Raps starting Five is previous GM's work and so how can Masai get the nod ?

I do think the Spurs GM should be considered ... Everything he touches seems to work out ..

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    I can't see McDonough getting it. Not since he clearly tried to tank as hard as anybody. Hornacek deserves most of the credit there.

Who's running Washington? He could be a contender.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                    Why would McDonough not get credit for their success? Last time I checked it was him who brought in Bledsoe. Who made an early season trade of Scola for Gerald Green and Plumlee? Both players were huge contributors for them this season. Got rid of Gortat for another draft pick that gives them 4 1st round picks in a deep, deep draft.

I think McDonough deserves a whole lot of respect for getting players that fit Hornacek's system. He gets that award hands down in my books.

Comment

[QUOTE=white men can't jump;320306]I can't see McDonough getting it. Not since he clearly tried to tank as hard as anybody. Hornacek deserves most of the credit there.

Who's running Washington? He could be a contender.

Masai said he didn't know which way the team would go after trading Rudy. Should he not get respect for what has happened since or did he just luck out so what he did is more a product of Casey than himself?

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                        I'm still convinced that MacDonagh was trying to make the Suns as bad as possible this year. And to be honest, I'm not entirely convinced that Ujiri wasn't trying to position himself for a top five draft slot when he swung the Rudy Gay deal. I find it a little ironic that these two seem to be the consensus finalists for the Executive of the Year award.
                        I have not heard any comments from Phoenix GM.

However Masai has said, and been very open about it, that the way the team came together was luck on his end. He was preparing for the team to succeed or to fail. That is why there were so many rumours out there about Raptor dealings - he was talking and discussing with other teams in the event they sucked. Personally I think he had the expectation they would suck and is just as surprised as everyone else.

I find that level of humility and honesty refreshing.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          I can't see McDonough getting it. Not since he clearly tried to tank as hard as anybody. Hornacek deserves most of the credit there.
                          McDonough traded away older pieces that weren't part of the future for youngsters and picks. Those moves and direction made sense either way, tank or no tank. They have a very good young team with a lot of assets now. Also, who deserves credit for finding Hornacek?

I think it would be wrong to vote against him just because he's actually better at finding talent than maybe even he expected.

Comment

Working...
                          X