#FreeLandyFields vs Brooklyn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    If we see Fields tonight, I blame this thread....
    I think you mean thank this thread lol.

Comment

I was wondering if Fields should get the start for Ross tonight. I understand the first instinct would be to question my sanity, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made.

First, it would allow Ross to start the game with the 2nd unit, which might be a way to ease him into the game and avoid early foul trouble that was probably a result of being so amped up for the playoffs. Once acclimated, Ross could still get his regular total minutes and spend time with the starters.

Second, it would be throwing an entirely different look at Brooklyn to start the game, with a capable veteran defender on Joe Johnson. Shutting down JJ could be the catalyst for Toronto to get off to a quick start.

Third, Ross is rarely involved in the offense at the start of the game, as Toronto tries to establish Valanciunas and get Lowry and DeRozan going. Having Fields on the court instead of Ross, moving well off the ball, could open up lanes for KL/DD and/or lead to some open looks down low for Fields or Johnson (if AJ's man needs to double, since Fields' man is running around).

Fourth, if it isn't working, DC can simply bring Ross in early. It's not like starting is an automatic minutes commitment. If it works, great. If it doesn't, bring in your starter.

I know it sounds crazy, but it might just be crazy enough to work.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        I was wondering if Fields should get the start for Ross tonight. I understand the first instinct would be to question my sanity, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made.

First, it would allow Ross to start the game with the 2nd unit, which might be a way to ease him into the game and avoid early foul trouble that was probably a result of being so amped up for the playoffs. Once acclimated, Ross could still get his regular total minutes and spend time with the starters.

Second, it would be throwing an entirely different look at Brooklyn to start the game, with a capable veteran defender on Joe Johnson. Shutting down JJ could be the catalyst for Toronto to get off to a quick start.

Third, Ross is rarely involved in the offense at the start of the game, as Toronto tries to establish Valanciunas and get Lowry and DeRozan going. Having Fields on the court instead of Ross, moving well off the ball, could open up lanes for KL/DD and/or lead to some open looks down low for Fields or Johnson (if AJ's man needs to double, since Fields' man is running around).

Fourth, if it isn't working, DC can simply bring Ross in early. It's not like starting is an automatic minutes commitment. If it works, great. If it doesn't, bring in your starter.

Definitely crazy, but sometimes crazy works. I would be concerned that the Nets D would be able to collapse onto JV/DD with Fields on the court instead of Ross, thus making it even harder for the Raps to get going. Ross is also a good defender, so I don't think Fields would be much of an upgrade on that end.

Honestly, I think the only line-up change I would make is to swap Amir for Patterson. Patterson is better defending a quick guy like Pierce than Amir, plus he adds more punch offensively. While losing him hurts the 2nd unit O, it's the playoffs, so you role with your best players and right now, that means Patterson over Amir.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
          ...Ross is also a good defender, so I don't think Fields would be much of an upgrade on that end...
          It might prevent three quick fouls on Ross. Actually I think it is okay to start Ross, but if he gets a foul, throw Fields out there right away so that Ross has a chance to settle down, and then has a cushion for the rest of the game. Once Ross got two quick fouls they went right at him, which also forced him to be a bit tentative on offense, when going to the paint. Can't have that against this team.

Comment

Too soon to panic and think about changing the starting line up imo. That can be a half time adjustment tonight if it looks like Ross isn't working. I think he'll be fine though.

Fields on Joe Johnson for spurts might be interesting. We need someone stronger than Salmons or Ross to guard him in the mid post, but quick enough to guard him on the perimeter. Not sure if Fields can keep up on the perimeter, but in the paint for sure.

Can't wait for tonights game, Go Rap's!

Comment

GUYS! weren't we talking last week about how each team can only submit 12 players on their roster to compete in the playoffs? Well in game one we played 12 guys, and Fields was not one of them meaning isn't he not allowed to play in the playoffs?!?!
              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                GUYS! weren't we talking last week about how each team can only submit 12 players on their roster to compete in the playoffs? Well in game one we played 12 guys, and Fields was not one of them meaning isn't he not allowed to play in the playoffs?!?!
                You must have missed the discussion where it was discovered that the rule you mention is outdated. Lineups can be set prior to each game.

Comment

You must have missed the discussion where it was discovered that the rule you mention is outdated. Lineups can be set prior to each game.
                  Thank you! And fuck I hope we give him a shot

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
                  You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

One of the benefits to playing Fields at the 4 against Pierce is that it then frees up Amir for second-unit center, where he can actually get involved in the offence more, especially running pick-and-roll with Vasquez. I don't see the need for using Hayes... if we don't tire Amir out chasing Pierce out to the perimeter, he and JV should be able to handle all the C minutes and Fields, Patterson, and Hansbrough can handle the 4 (and some minutes at the 3 for Fields, too).

Comment

i think its a bit too crazy. people are overrating fields capabilities as if hes some crazy elite defender. also, ross needs to work behind derozan right now, or else hes probably going to be the main target for defense in the second lineup which will basically render him useless on the court. and without ross in the starting lineup, there goes all your spacing. you now only have 1 person that can shoot from downtown, leading to probable clogging of lanes and double teams on JV in the paint which i'm sure brooklyn will definitely be focusing on in this next game too.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                        i think its a bit too crazy. people are overrating fields capabilities as if hes some crazy elite defender. also, ross needs to work behind derozan right now, or else hes probably going to be the main target for defense in the second lineup which will basically render him useless on the court. and without ross in the starting lineup, there goes all your spacing. you now only have 1 person that can shoot from downtown, leading to probable clogging of lanes and double teams on JV in the paint which i'm sure brooklyn will definitely be focusing on in this next game too.
                        Fields was used to be counted on to guard the lebrons and Melos of the world, I'm sure he can take joe penis
                        I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Apology thread

I thought Landry Field would be a non-factor.

I thought all you guys pimping Landry Fields were blowing his game way out of proportion.

I WAS SOOOOOOOOOOO WRONG.

Comment

Landry tonight did what Landry had to do, which was neutralize Joe Johnson. The problem is that on offense, Brooklyn were actually still sort of bothering to guard him. At some point, they'll figure out they don't have to.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                              Landry tonight did what Landry had to do, which was neutralize Joe Johnson. The problem is that on offense, Brooklyn were actually still sort of bothering to guard him. At some point, they'll figure out they don't have to.
                              Honestly though, if they start to ignore him, Landry has show in the past that he can be a really great off-ball cutter. He can be good enough on offence that it'll be worth it to have him disrupt Joe Johnson.

If you take Johnson out of the mix on offence, all there really is to worry about is Pierce in the clutch. Better one than both.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                                But they haven't had to guard Salmons most of the time for the last 2 months. I'll take what Landry gives on D and with an all-around high IQ game any day. There will be times it costs us on O, but even there, he doesn't force things. Salmons can be a downright huge liability on both ends on a bad night, which he's had plenty of recently. And I stand by my initial reasoning that if they had just played Fields more in the last couple of months, maybe Salmons would've been able to get his body right so he could be a steady playoff contributor on both ends. But he's clearly not in a good place physically, and can't get things done.

Comment

Working...
                                X