Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amir spitin knowledge on setting/defending screeens

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ji...-on-the-court/

Over the last couple of years, you’ve been more diversified, rolling straight to the rim, which you used to do almost all the time, and now you’ve started popping out a little bit more. How have you worked on that, and how does it help having a guy like Kyle who’s such a threat to score coming around your screen?

It’s all reads on the court. It depends on how the defense is playing. If they trap, I have to make the short roll, so I have to stay in the pocket where you can see me to make the pass. (Note: Amir’s “short roll” was detailed by Zach Lowe in his NBA Mega-List of Things to Like and Dislike on Thursday. Scroll down to no. 13.) If the defense gets dragged out, stays longer on Kyle, I get the pop. And if the defense sags back, that’s when I roll. It’s all a read.

When you’re making that decision, are you reading your man, his man, or a combination of both?

I’m reading my man, to see how he plays it. If I set it, he’s either going to trap Kyle, or Kyle’s going to extend him out for my pop, or Kyle’s going to go downhill for a basket.

How does that change, if at all, when it’s Greivis coming around the screen? Or if it’s Terrence [Ross] or DeMar [DeRozan]?

Oh, it’s the same way. It all depends on how they’re guarding it. But I know Greivis is strong going right. That way I can set the pick and get out quicker, and my man either has to guard two people, or the weak side has to help in, then you get it kicked out for the 3 for T-Ross and all our shooters.
    This is pretty fascinating...

Amir! Shhhhhh........

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
      Amir! Shhhhhh........
      Somewhere in Brooklyn Jason Kidd and his coaching staff are frantically taking notes...
      OG is our king

Comment

Wow. Come on Amir. SMH.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

consmap wrote: View Post
          Somewhere in Brooklyn Jason Kidd and his coaching staff are frantically taking notes...
          Oh man if they're just now making notes than this series is ours!
          A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

I love when Grantland does things like this.. I don't think Amir really said anything that most teams don't already know.. heck Alan Anderson probably gave Kidd our playbook already.

Comment

Ya even if they were reading this...nothing you can do. The whole point is that it's conditional: do this, he rolls; do that, he pops. You have guard it some way, and however you do, Amir's got a response.

Comment

Working...
              X