NBA & Refs in Playoffs - RR Conspiracy Theory thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post
    You think Stern's pay wasn't tied you league revenue then you're nuts. Why would he bother with global expansion, other than to make the league more money, and thereby himself more money?

Stern was paid over $20 million per year, and nobody even really knew how much he was paid.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...48484/31035301
    So, first of all, I find it disturbing that people didn't know how much Stern was making, and that does raise some questions in my mind.

But, I don't think it's that the commissioner's salary is tied directly to income so much as when the league does well, the commissioner is rewarded with raises.

I guess the biggest hurdle for me, would be believing that a Brooklyn/Miami second round would really affect the league's outlook. Like, maybe by a tiny amount, but enough to risk everything and live with that stress?
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Jail time is not a possibility. There is nothing illegal about what the league is doing. Please tell me which law you think is being violated by instructing refs to make or not make certain calls before a game?
      Anti-trust laws

Comment

a
        Last edited by stooley; Tue Apr 29, 2014, 03:32 PM.
        "Bruno?
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Re-post:

Conspiracy theories offer easy answers by casting the world as simpler and more predictable than it is
          [Conspiracy theories] give people a sense of control. People hate randomness, they dread the sort of random occurrences that can destroy their lives, so as a mechanism against that dread, it turns out that it’s much easier to believe in a conspiracy. Then you have someone to blame, it’s not just randomness.
          http://www.salon.com/2013/04/24/why_...racy_theories/

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
            Ok explain this.
            If it's so obvious to the random fan, why would MLSE just stand by and let millions of dollars be lost without ever investigating it or taking Stern/Silver and the NBA to court? That's actual money being lost by them. And if it's a league wide thing it's actual money being lost by roughly 3/4th of the league's teams. Why not look into it more, why not call out the NBA, especially when your team is being taken away from you (Seattle, Vancouver, Sacramento)?
            It's not an anti-trust issue at all. The NBA - ABA merger had Anti-Trust issues, the league using refs to influence outcomes is not illegal at all. The league made up their own rules, and can enforce them any way they like. Donnaghy wasn't charged with fixing NBA games (not illegal), he was charged with wire fraud (illegal). The league also shares revenue across all teams so it'd be tough for a small market team to argue they're losing money by the league influencing games to increase revenue.

Comment

I'm guessing most of you haven't bothered with Donnaghy's book, but you really should check it out if you want to understand how and why the NBA would do this. Here's a link to excerpts which explains a lot of what I've been talking about.

http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts...nt-you-to-read
              Why do you believe Donaghy so much? I'm just curious since I haven't read the book so I don't know what he says but in my experience trusting a "cheater" and morally questionable person like that isn't the best option.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                That's completely fair. But do you think that Raptors fans, including yourself, might just be a little biased in discussing calls that went against the raptors.

Like are you really that confident that you're approaching this from a completely objective, unbiased point of view? Be honest.

edit: I sometimes like to watch Fox News, and I tend to spot the same logical mistakes that they make in some other arguments. We can get into the whole Libyan Embassy conspiracy, but, again, there is a simple, much more likely explanation out there which doesn't serve the broadcaster's interest.
                So do you think the demonstration on sept 11 in front of the US embassy in Benghazi Libya was ' spontaneous' and motivated by an internet video? Really?

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                  So do you think the demonstration on sept 11 in front of the US embassy in Benghazi Libya was ' spontaneous' and motivated by an internet video? Really?
                  No, which was admitted by the government... once an investigation had been performed.

You realize the whole conspiracy is that some people think the government didn't "own up" to it being a terrorist attack fast enough. Like, that makes so little sense.
                  "Bruno?
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

There was a good segment on NBA radio today with Jack Armstrong , Rick Fox and Jarrod Greenberg from NBA TV today 200-215eastern. The consensus was that yes Brooklyn tanked to face the Raptors. There are many posters who doubt it but more and more credible sources continue to confirm it.

Comment

• Nets fan accusing Lowry of flopping all series, and blaming refs for looking the other way.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, conspiracy theory officially debunked.

Instead, fans blame refs no matter what section of the planet you live on.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Nets fan accusing Lowry of flopping all series, and blaming refs for looking the other way.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, conspiracy theory officially debunked.

Instead, fans blame refs no matter what section of the planet you live on.
                        Obviously.
                        "Bruno?
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                          Obviously.
                          Not obvious to some

Comment

• Conspiracy confirmed.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                              Conspiracy confirmed.
                              Here we go again....

Comment

• mike, prague wrote: View Post
                                Yeah, I half agree with you. It's possible that he's telling the truth, but it could also be him trying to somehow in someway get revenge on the NBA. Both are equally probable.
                                So how do you explain him calling out the refs in this series even before it started? And everything he said came true.

Comment

Working...
                                X