Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atari ET games found n New Mexico archaeological dig

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...ico?CMP=twt_fd

A documentary film production company has found buried in a New Mexico landfill hundreds of the Atari ET game cartridges that some call the worst video game ever made.

Film director Zak Penn showed one ET cartridge retrieved from the site and said hundreds more were found in the mounds of trash and dirt scooped by a backhoe.

About 200 residents and game enthusiasts gathered early on Saturday in southeastern New Mexico to watch backhoes and bulldozers dig through the concrete-covered landfill in search of up to a million discarded copies of “ET The Extraterrestrial” that the game's maker wanted to hide forever.

"I feel pretty relieved and psyched that they actually got to see something," said Penn, as members of the production team sifted through the mounds of trash, pulling out boxes, games and other Atari products.

Most of the crowd left the landfill before the discovery, turned away by strong winds that kicked up massive clouds of dust mingled with garbage. By the time the games were found, only a few dozen remained. Some were playing the infamous game in a make-shift gaming den with a TV and a 1980s game console in the back of a van, while others took selfies beside a life-size ET doll inside a DeLorean car like the one that was turned into a time machine in the Back To The Future movies.

So, basically, this seems like a set-up..some genius 30 years ago had them buried and then to be digged up in a few decades and finally sold on E-Bay. haha
    Last edited by LBF; Sun Apr 27, 2014, 02:18 PM.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Well actually the value of this cart drops a lot now I think. It was rare but now there is a crap load of this terrible game.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Well actually the value of this cart drops a lot now I think. It was rare but now there is a crap load of this terrible game.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk
      Probably, yeah. But, since no one would buy them and then they were buried. They're now making profit regardless if they sold them all for a dollar.
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
      X