Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

waaait. so the playoffs don't reseed? YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CashGameND wrote: View Post
    guess we'll agree to disagree. like i said it boils down to what should hold more weight (regular season vs winning the round in the playoffs). Maybe my mind has just been trained to think that the teams who did the best in the regular season have earned the right to the easiest path through the playoffs.

I am starting to come around to the idea of the fact that with this format every team is faced with 1 easier & 1 difficult matchup in the first 2 rounds regardless, which makes things more fair all around. But what if the 4/5 seed gets to face the 8 seed. Then they are getting 2 easy matchups, so that still defeats that purpose. Not that it will hardly ever happen, but it could.

Still just think over the course of an 82 game season it matters more & is more deserving of the easier matchup, then winning 1 round in the playoffs. But maybe thats just me.
    But if you're in a 4/5 seed matchup, you're facing someone who did just as well or almost as well as you did, so it would not be necessarily an easy matchup.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

PLUS. I've been looking at this mostly from a Raptors fan perspective. What about the Heat who finished 54-28. They have to play a team that was 48-34 instead of a 38-44 team. In my mind that doesn't make any sense. yes they pulled off an upset, but they played TERRIBLE in the regular season & deserve an insanely hard road to the finals. The Hawks were 38-44 & could face the #5 seed to get to the conference finals. The Heat had a phenomenal record & deserve the easier road through the playoffs, they earned it all year long (not just in 1 series)
      You don't seem to be paying attention to the logic here. Atlanta does have an insanely hard road to the finals. They have to beat the best record in the East that took place over this 82 game regular season you keep harping on.

Atlanta beating the #1 seed doesn't mean Miami isn't getting rewarded. If anything, Miami avoids a hot team that just dismantled a great team. Sounds like a reward to me.

Indiana's regular season record rewarded them with home court up until the Finals. Atlanta beating them rewards Atlanta by essentially stealing Indy's path to the finals (completely fair). However, they don't steal Indy's home court advantage (would be unfair).

Seeds should only dictate first round matchups and homecourt advantage the rest of the way.

Teams aren't jockeying to finish 8th because of a possible second round advantage.
      There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
        But if you're in a 4/5 seed matchup, you're facing someone who did just as well or almost as well as you did, so it would not be necessarily an easy matchup.
        its meant relatively speaking. cause your not facing a division/conference winning team.
        Last edited by CashGameND; Tue Apr 29, 2014, 12:16 AM.

Comment

RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
          You don't seem to be paying attention to the logic here. Atlanta does have an insanely hard road to the finals. They have to beat the best record in the East that took place over this 82 game regular season you keep harping on.

Atlanta beating the #1 seed doesn't mean Miami isn't getting rewarded. If anything, Miami avoids a hot team that just dismantled a great team. Sounds like a reward to me.

Indiana's regular season record rewarded them with home court up until the Finals. Atlanta beating them rewards Atlanta by essentially stealing Indy's path to the finals (completely fair). However, they don't steal Indy's home court advantage (would be unfair).

Seeds should only dictate first round matchups and homecourt advantage the rest of the way.

Teams aren't jockeying to finish 8th because of a possible second round advantage.
          Mimi avoids a hot team that dismantled a great team? I'm sorry but if you think the Hawks beating Indi makes them a scarier matchup to the Heat then the Raptors I think your crazy. Then again, as I keep saying, styles make fights. And maybe stylistically the Hawks do have a better chance against the Heat then the Raptors do (I honestly don't know for sure, but I doubt it).

I'll agree to disagree with everyone on RR then it seems. Surprised nobody even sees my logic of earning it in the regular season being more valid then having 1 upset in the playoffs.

as i keep saying it keeps coming down to comparing what you value more. a 1st round win, or the value of a full season. (imo, its allot easier to pull off a playoff upset then it is to earn your high rank over an 82 game season).

- and yes i get that the higher ranks still get home court advantage. But the fact that its even possible the wizards could face the hawks (a 5 and 8 seed) to get to the conference finals, to me is a joke.

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
            1) Playing Miami is vastly better for Toronto in every possible way.
            2) Reseeding is a dumb idea, for all the reasons listed in this thread already.
            Playing Miami is better then facing Washington? I'd have to disagree. I know the Heat have played bad down the stretch, but just based on track record alone against those 2 teams this season, and likely the last few seasons, I think the Raptors would much rather face the Wizards.

I like your confidence though, hope your right (heat are easier matchup).

Comment

People know there's no reseeding in the NHL anymore either, right?

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                yup

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                  Just started this year, people are about to realize it. I would bet majority of NHL fans would prefer the reseeding format. It seems like they are getting rid of it to add a "division winner", but with their new format could actually have somebody from a diferent division winning an opposite division (ex: team from metropolitan wins the atlantic division crown) lol
                  Last edited by CashGameND; Tue Apr 29, 2014, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Playing Miami is better then facing Washington? I'd have to disagree. I know the Heat have played bad down the stretch, but just based on track record alone against those 2 teams this season, and likely the last few seasons, I think the Raptors would much rather face the Wizards.

I like your confidence though, hope your right (heat are easier matchup).
                    My reasoning has nothing to do with actual chances of moving to the ECF, but with the benefits that would come from playing a 2 time championship team. Much more valuable experience plus a bigger spotlight. We'd get so much exposure from US media

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
                      My reasoning has nothing to do with actual chances of moving to the ECF, but with the benefits that would come from playing a 2 time championship team. Much more valuable experience plus a bigger spotlight. We'd get so much exposure from US media
                      ic. My thoughts are more geared toward the great hope of winning the whole thing. I'd rather win another round & face Miami in the conference finals. Then you get an extra round experience in there too!

Comment

Non issue.

Move on.

Comment

one thing at a time ... its what I hated about Brooklyn, they were more concerned about facing Miami than us
                          so let us keep our focus on whats ahead of us

Comment

1st round seeding is the reward for regular season play.

2nd round matchups are the reward for 1st round play.

Atlanta example:

1st round: barely made the playoffs, so they have to play the 'best' team in the conference (ie: hardest matchup)

2nd round: upsetting the best team should have an associated reward, which is essentially assuming the path of the team they beat. Reseeding would be a slap in the face for their first round upset.

Maintaining the integrity of the bracket is based on the assumption that the better teams from the regular season would win the matchups they're supposed to, essentially 'holding serve' (to borrow a tennis term).

Miami's path as the #2 seed is set, giving them the 2nd easiest potential path to the finals. If Atlanta upsets the #1 seed, it should really have no bearing on Miami's path, to either make it easier or harder. Eventually they'd have to meet in the conference finals, should the 'better' playoff teams (ie: #2 seed and team that beat the #1 seed) continue their winning ways.

Comment

I think the team that earns their ranking over the course of an 82 game season has done way more to get the better placement in round 2 then the team that did well for one 7 game series.
                              Then let me use this part of your post to disagree with the other part of the same post.

As for the comment about conferences. Reseeding amongst conference still makes sense because you build your rivalries in a conference. You play the majority of your games vs other teams in your conference & then battle it out with them to get to the finals. If you had a league format where everybody played every team an equal amount of games then I'd agree on just reseeding the entire league, but leagues don't build themselves like that in order to build rivalries amongst both the teams & fan bases. And also for fan familiarity, to become more familiar with the 16 teams in your conference better, you have better knowledge of the teams/players you are facing & you are more intrigued with the matchup. If you played vs a team you only saw 2 times all year it wouldn't be as intriguing playing a team that you don't know as much about & don't have much of a history or rivalry against.
                              I could use your first quote to counter this idea : who cares about conference rivalries? As you said, "the team that earns their ranking over the course of an 82 game season has done way more to get the better placement".

So there's no way Dallas, who did better than us by winning 49 games, should get to face the overall best team. This does not reward their brilliant 82 game season. And you could go on with the rivalry thing, I would raise this sole point every time.

For the record, I am not in favor of killing conferences, I am just trying to show that you are arguing based on one single idea, and you're putting it on the table again and again.

And I don't known what other posters think, but for me upsetting a #1 seed in a 7 game serie in the playoffs is NOT easier than ranking #1 or #2 during the regular season. It is a different kind if performance. But playoffs basketball is sooooo much more intense and a 7 game serie is sooo long that the team that gets out of it is the better team. No room for luck or random. If the Hawks kick the Pacers out, props to the Hawks: this will be a major accomplishment.

Comment

If we reseeded though, we probably wouldn't see as many teams "tanking" like Brooklyn did, cause they'd get a harder path the lower they were.
                                A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Working...
                                X