Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ROY - Evans, Curry, Jennings or Someone Else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROY - Evans, Curry, Jennings or Someone Else?

Evans, who is maybe out for the season after Illyasova knocked him silly last night, appears to be the ESPN favorite.

Curry is probably next in line

and then there is BJ who as a rookie point guard is leading the Bucks solidly into the playoffs.

35 last night in a double OT including 8 from behind the arc. He clearly outplayed the ESPN favorite even before Curry headed for the locker room not knowing which end was up.

MVP awards are never given to great players on lottery teams or even low seed playoff teams.

Why should ROY be given to guys like Evans and Curry two PG on two of the worst teams in the WC when Jennings is leading the Bucks to a very good season?

It shouldn't, however I think ESPN and others in the media are still ticked at Jennings for going to Italy and sticking his thumb at the one and done crap. As a result Evans will most likely get it even though in my opinion he doesn't deserve it over Jennings.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Why should ROY be given to guys like Evans and Curry two PG on two of the worst teams in the WC when Jennings is leading the Bucks to a very good season?
    Because normally the highest picks are picked by the worst teams so that is alot of responbsibility for a rookie to carry and its unfair for that rookie chances to be hurt like that because it reflects more on the team then the rookie itself.

Jennings was a chucker for a half the season (which explains his meager 37% shooting)and his assists are now going up because they figured after all these years that passing the ball to bogut on the inside is usually money. Also the addition of Salmons really kicked the Bucks season to a much higher gear so pointing the finger at Jennings for being the engine that drives the team is misguided. The late season surge by Jennings may not be enough due to his inconsistent play all season long.

Unless Curry avg close to 25 points a game until the end of the season (if Evans is indeed out for the remainder of the season) then Evans pretty much sealed the ROY award.

Comment

Evans does one thing very well. He get to basket and either scores and/or gets fouled. He can't shoot with sheet.

He shoots 25% from beyond the arc compared to 40% for Jennings.

Evans is a one dimensional player. He is a bigger and stronger version of Rodney Stuckey with about half of the defensive skills.

People made the same argument about Billups that you are making about Jennings. His team only wins because of the other talent around him.

Jennings like Billups is a leader and a winner. The Bucks record is evidence of that.
      Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Mar 20, 2010, 05:48 PM.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Tyreke Evans and it's not close.
        nbaroundtable

Comment

Evans does one thing very well. He get to basket and either scores and/or gets fouled. He can't shoot with sheet.

He shoots 25% from beyond the arc compared to 40% for Jennings.

Evans is a one dimensional player. He is a bigger and stronger version of Rodney Stuckey with about half of the defensive skills..
          Now you are just hating on Evans.

It does not matter that Evans is not a good shooter, if he is able to get to the basket and score at will then that is a high percentage basket. Jennings shoot 37% which is dreadful for a rookie considered for ROY and also for an NBA starter.

You didn't just point out Evans lack of defensive skills without mentioning Jennings lack of defensive skills?! Basically calling Evans one dimensional is saying that he is doing one thing really good and others not so good but overall he gets things done.

People made the same argument about Billups that you are making about Jennings. His team only wins because of the other talent around him..
          Billups is not a rookie and he has proven himself over and over again playing for 2 different teams. Jennings half of the season was slumping bad and padded his stats by shooting way too much.

Jennings like Billups is a leader and a winner. The Bucks record is evidence of that.
          If a record is the only indicator of having a great point guard then by that logic Jennings is therefore a better player then Chris Paul.

You are basing your argument because Jennings has been averaging 20.8 pts 6.1 ast in the last 6 games while his inconsistent play was plauged all year around including before and after the recent surge of wins that occured which is mainly attributed to the acquisition of Salmons.

Comment

A Sacramento rag is reporting that Evans will win.

It is really to bad that for MVP the voters consider how his team played but for ROY they don't.

Maybe because most of the best rookies wind up on lottery teams so if you counted team results in the ROY voting decision than you could have some guy win ROY who played less than 10 mpg for the NBA champions.

In any case. After watching Jennings performance so far vs the Hawks in the playoffs I still maintain that he should have gotten it. The kid is a special player.

It would be one thing if he played any of the other four positions. However to play point guard start and lead your team possibly to the second round of the playoffs without arguably their best player is really special. All the more so when you remember that Jennings has no college experience and only one year of mostly riding the pine in Italy before this season.

Its one thing to be a point guard on a team that wins 25 games. Its another thing to do what Jennings is doing.

Yes I know about Salmons, blah, blah blah, but it is Jennings that is the point guard and makes the majority of the Bucks on court decisions on offense when he is on the court.

Comment

Working...
            X