Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the raptors a division leader favourite for the 2014-2015 season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the raptors a division leader favourite for the 2014-2015 season?

Nets
    We all know Brooklyn is in a win now situation with their $200 million payroll. I have a feeling when Brook Lopez comes back from his foot injury that this team will struggle out of the gate just because they are so used to their unorthodox small ball lineup. Paul Pierce still has a lot of game left but KG just looks like a shell of his former shelf. I also, see Shaun Livingston getting an offer that not only includes a raise but also, a lot more minutes and responsibility someplace else. Although this team has proven veterans I just can't see this team taking the regular season as seriously as they should be.

76'ers
    Philly on the other hand is probably going to get someone along the lines of Parker or Wiggens but I think they'll let their young guys run the show this year with a couple of 1 year deals just so they maintain cap space but also, have a high enough draft pick to stockpile talent on valuable rookie-scale contracts.

Knicks
    Phil Jackson is a presence and we can't deny how someone couldn't be attracted by his sheer star power. New York is a team that somewhat scares me because they have the talent to do damage but they were just held back this year through injuries and lack of veteran leadership. If this team somehow had a veteran voice to guide the locker room and all the knuckleheads ala "Pipe" Smith then maybe we could see this Knicks team challenge us for the division title. This is however pending if Carmelo does resign and proven veterans sign with the Knicks.

Celtics
    Danny Ainge can make magic and we all know that he's trying to make some "fireworks" happen this offseason. Potentially they have a bunch of young pieces and adding a player like Gordan Hayward would add so much versatility on the wing position.Adding a great big that can play the pick and roll to perfection would also make this team a tougher opponent. The more options you have for Rajon Rondo the more dangerous this team can become.

Out of all these teams who do you guys see as a viable challenger for our division title?

Hard to say because with the Knicks and Nets, their owners throw so much money around that they could change their roster with a greater ease then Toronto.

I would still say the Nets are the greatest threat coming next season but Toronto isn't a lock especially if they cannot resign Lowry.

Comment

If we resign Lowry, it's us and the New York teams. Brooklyn won't take half a season to figure out the kinks again, and if Melo goes back to NY they're a threat
      @Boymusic66

Comment

Either way, I'm not worried about the division crown. It doesn't really mean much come playoff time. Home court advantage in the 1st round can still be obtained.

Comment

I think a huge advantage here is that we're the only team with continuity AND who is improving over last year.

Every team will be going through changes, but assuming we sign Lowry, we have two sophomores who are going to get better. Derozan will get better. Patterson will get better, and hopefully we'll be deeper.

The point is, I'm imagining a better version of this team next year....I think we're going to be a huge surprise in terms of how good our record will be.

So no, I don't think these teams are a threat, and I actually think that between us and Washington, we could be fighting out for two Of the top three seeds next year.

Comment

I'm okay if we don't retain the division title; 2015 offseason is where we're positioned to make a big move, and as long as we stay in the 45 wins, top 6 range next year, we're well-positioned going forward. I'd rather not give up that long-term perspective just to try to keep ahead of Brooklyn in the short-term.

Comment

Washington has impressed me in the Playoffs so much. Beal is just so much further in his development than TRoss and the way he hits big shots like it's no big deal is a huge plus. John Wall's speed can just cause havoc in the fast break and if he's able to hit a consistent mid range J then I can see this guy being unguardable. If you just add wing depth such as a player like Caron Butler then this team is pretty solid through all positions. I'd be even scared to death if they added Shaun Livingston! Even though spacing wouldn't be great on offence with putting Livingston in the 2 with wall on point they'd cause havoc on the defensive end. Would I be okay with Ross and Vasquez handing the ball in those situations? Hell no!!! Right now by the way they're playing Washington is the second best team in the East.

Comment

If we re-sign Lowry, and upgrade our bench (i.e. Salmons out, VC in) we will still be among the favourites.

Of course the NY teams are there. BK depending on how they fare against the Heat, and if PP and KG decides to come back. If Melo stays, Knicks are a threat. If not, I could see them rebuilding/tanking as they have a first rounder in 2015. Plus they're gonna have a new coach.

I think boston and Philly are still rebuilding projects. I think Philly could either be the next OKC or the Pelicans of the east.

Comment

Leo Rautins wrote: View Post
                  Washington has impressed me in the Playoffs so much. Beal is just so much further in his development than TRoss and the way he hits big shots like it's no big deal is a huge plus. John Wall's speed can just cause havoc in the fast break and if he's able to hit a consistent mid range J then I can see this guy being unguardable. If you just add wing depth such as a player like Caron Butler then this team is pretty solid through all positions. I'd be even scared to death if they added Shaun Livingston! Even though spacing wouldn't be great on offence with putting Livingston in the 2 with wall on point they'd cause havoc on the defensive end. Would I be okay with Ross and Vasquez handing the ball in those situations? Hell no!!! Right now by the way they're playing Washington is the second best team in the East.
                  That's the up-side of a proper rebuild. Just imagine how good they could be (and projected to be), if they had done a better job of drafting in 2011 (Vesely @ 6). The jury's still out on Porter (#3 in 2013).

The problem is that for every team that succeeds with a rebuild, there's at least an equal number of teams that fall flat with their rebuild attempts (not to mention teams that accelerate their rebuild).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    That's the up-side of a proper rebuild. Just imagine how good they could be (and projected to be), if they had done a better job of drafting in 2011 (Vesely @ 6). The jury's still out on Porter (#3 in 2013).

The problem is that for every team that succeeds with a rebuild, there's at least an equal number of teams that fall flat with their rebuild attempts (not to mention teams that accelerate their rebuild).
                    I'm gonna go ahead and say that both paths are viable ways to improve.

The problem with tanking is you have no assets once your guys do finally come in. Washington doesn't have a pick this year, and Gortat and Ariza are expiring. Not to mention that they're paying Wall the max, and Beal may be on his way there.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows over there either.

edit: oh, and I think missed picks is just part of the deal. what went down in OKC (with 3 consecutive amazing picks) is the exception I think.
                    "Bruno?
                    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                      I'm okay if we don't retain the division title; 2015 offseason is where we're positioned to make a big move, and as long as we stay in the 45 wins, top 6 range next year, we're well-positioned going forward. I'd rather not give up that long-term perspective just to try to keep ahead of Brooklyn in the short-term.
                      Regardless who earns the first overall pick in this years draft almost all the teams in the Eastern Conference will improve. If we replace Salmons and Psycho T with players with marginally little impact then I see our record slightly dropping to a 45-47 win total. If Kyle leaves this off-season (God forbid) then I see us at around 37-41 win team. If Masai somehow makes his splashy move and signs VC for around 8 million/ 2 years and signs a defensive big with some height then I could easily see us making the step to a 48-50 win team. It doesn't hurt that we also, have another player in the end of the game who's willing to take the last shot with the likes of Vasquez, Lowry, Derozan. Every team knew we were running our final play through Derozan so it's a breathe of fresh air to not watch him dribble of his foot in the end of games. The only exception was that Orlando game where he was throwing up the compton sign lol.

Comment

How can people try and accurately predict this during the playoffs? We have no idea what's going to happen in the offseason. The Knicks could lose Melo and become terrible or keep Melo and somehow get Pau Gasol or something. The Celtics could trade for Kevin Love. Heck, we could trade away key pieces and lose Lowry.

Comment

We are the favourite for the division title.

We will get the div. title, the conf. title and the NBA title!

Durant will be lured with the 2015 NBA champions banner hanging in the rafters and we will embark on the biggest dynasty since Bill Russell and the Boston Celtics!
                          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
                            We are the favourite for the division title.

We will get the div. title, the conf. title and the NBA title!

Durant will be lured with the 2015 NBA champions banner hanging in the rafters and we will embark on the biggest dynasty since Bill Russell and the Boston Celtics!
                            Amen, amen, amen
                            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

as things stand now before the off season truly begins I would say we are
                              boston and philly are still rebuilding
                              New York is not going to be turned around in one off season, Anthony had his best season and they still did not make it
                              Brooklyn will have Lopez back but as a whole they will be a year older ... their sun is waning while ours is rising
                              The Raps will have another year of player development of the core and I trust ujiri to bring in some good complementary players
                              only thing I think can slow us down is injuries which we got very lucky with this year

Comment

Working...
                              X