Everything Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceez wrote: View Post
    Demar and our first rounder for Po. Do it. Do it now.
    tenfortheceez
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      I still think MU (and TL) have their eye on the draft, specifically the top of the draft. MU talked about attacking the draft and the fact that whether the draft or free agency, they have their eye on some specific players. Given the priority of re-signing their own talent (ie: Lowry, Vasquez, Patterson and De Colo) and the comments MU made about the team probably stumbling or even taking a step back, I can't shake the feeling that they're going to do everything possible to land Wiggins. He fits too perfectly into the "We The North" campaign, is projected to be a solid 2-way SF, and is just too perfect a fit for TL/MU to pass up.
      I think that's kinda in the same category as trading Demar or Ross.

If the right trade is there, you gotta take it. Keep an ear to the ground, you never know what's coming your way.
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I still think MU (and TL) have their eye on the draft, specifically the top of the draft. MU talked about attacking the draft and the fact that whether the draft or free agency, they have their eye on some specific players. Given the priority of re-signing their own talent (ie: Lowry, Vasquez, Patterson and De Colo) and the comments MU made about the team probably stumbling or even taking a step back, I can't shake the feeling that they're going to do everything possible to land Wiggins. He fits too perfectly into the "We The North" campaign, is projected to be a solid 2-way SF, and is just too perfect a fit for TL/MU to pass up.
        I just can't see any team actually trading a pick that could be Wiggins. That would be tremendously stupid and shortsighted. I think at this point to me this is something that only happens as a fantasy in the mind of Raptors fans. Wiggins is not getting traded. I mean, what GM would trade arguably the best wing prospect since Durant or even LeBron...for anything? (Except maybe Durant or LeBron)

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          I just can't see any team actually trading a pick that could be Wiggins. That would be tremendously stupid and shortsighted. I think at this point to me this is something that only happens as a fantasy in the mind of Raptors fans. Wiggins is not getting traded. I mean, what GM would trade arguably the best wing prospect since Durant or even LeBron...for anything?
          A package of Jonas and Derozan + our first rounder would probably do it.

The question is, would that even be a good trade for us?
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
            A package of Jonas and Derozan + our first rounder would probably do it.

The question is, would that even be a good trade for us?
            I'm not even sure it would. And yeah, I'm not sure that is worth it at all.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
              I think that's kinda in the same category as trading Demar or Ross.

If the right trade is there, you gotta take it. Keep an ear to the ground, you never know what's coming your way.
              white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              I just can't see any team actually trading a pick that could be Wiggins. That would be tremendously stupid and shortsighted. I think at this point to me this is something that only happens as a fantasy in the mind of Raptors fans. Wiggins is not getting traded. I mean, what GM would trade arguably the best wing prospect since Durant or even LeBron...for anything? (Except maybe Durant or LeBron)
              Oh I completely agree that it's incredibly unlikely, but I still got the feeling that they're looking to make a big splash, which would have to come via trade/draft that might mean one step back for two steps forward. For the Raptors, it's just too perfect a scenario to not get aggressive in their exploration of such a possibility.

Comment

• The only plausible route I can see to Wiggins is:

1. Trade Salmons and Hansbrough's trigger expirings to Chicago for Carlos Boozer's elephant contract and 1-2 of Chicago's first-rounders this year (so Chicago can go after Melo).

2. Trade a basketful of picks for the Wiggins pick.

And that's only marginally plausible.

Comment

Oh I completely agree that it's incredibly unlikely, but I still got the feeling that they're looking to make a big splash, which would have to come via trade/draft that might mean one step back for two steps forward. For the Raptors, it's just too perfect a scenario to not get aggressive in their exploration of such a possibility.
                  I see it more likely they could try to trade into the mid to late lottery. Maybe hope someone slides. Or target Ennis or another late lottery pick. Picks 10 and 12 could be available.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Didn't get a chance to listen to the presser.. but going on some of the posts in this thread seems like MU wants to retain most of the core.. which is basically what I would have expected.

Hopefully he doesn't break the bank to get that bigger wing or shot blocker. Status quo is a good thing.. maintain cap flexibility for 2015 when really good free agents are available.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                      Two years guaranteed with an option for a third makes the Casey extension even better, frankly. Maximum confidence and stability going forward with minimum risk.
                      Yeah, seems reasonable to me.

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                        Yeah, seems reasonable to me.
                        same to me ... he deserves it ... he still needs to grow as a coach in some areas but Toronto can afford the best assistants available and the team likes him so I think there is no need to restart the coaching position

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

Thank you sweet baby Jesus. 2 year deal with team option for the 3rd. I knew Masai was smart. Way to hedge your bet buddy. Now, we just can't let any other team poach Nurse from us, that way if Casey struggles we can always fire him and promote Nurse. I'm hoping he doesn't struggle, but just like Masai did with that Casey contract, you gotta plan for the worst.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                            Yes, there's some flaw to my statement because I overlook the strategic side, but there is just as much flaw to your use of Scott Brooks, who happens to coach the 2nd best player in the league with Dwane Casey. I don't know how good or bad Brooks is. But to throw Brooks into the conversation you'd have to remove Kevin Durant from the equation. If Scott Brooks manages to lead the Thunder without Durant to even a 0.500 record (since it's the West), then you can equate that situation with Casey's.

Look at the win margins we had during the season. This isn't evidence of a coach getting bailed out by two players. If you want to argue about getting bailed out, let's look at how Joakim Noah nearly single-handedly bailed out Tom Thibodeau in their series against Washington. He was thoroughly outcoached although it wasn't Randy Wittman's doing. I consider Thibodeau one of the best coaches in the NBA, but his reputation took a massive hit in the series.

And again the Raptors were written off after the Rudy Gay trade. It wasn't just a bunch of hopeful pro-tankers who felt this way, but the entire NBA braintrust who expected this to happen. X's and O's are important, but it's not the only thing. Getting your team to play together and go above and beyond what they're capable of cannot be overlooked.

Look, I'm not saying Casey should be the guy standing on the sidelines when this team is a contender. But we're at least 2+ years away from that. Why bring in an interim coach to do it for 2-3 years and then replace again? Until we start to truly underperform, I'm willing to deal with a few poorly drawn plays. How do you know that Lowry doesn't like playing for Casey? DeRozan? Amir? Valanciunas? When you have a group of individuals that are playing above expectations and solid team basketball, and kick out their leader, you run the risk of losing everything. I don't see why you risk this at this stage.

Come back to me in 2016 when we have our Kevin Durant (or whoever we end up getting at SF/PF) and we STILL can't get out of the 1st round. That's when you talk about getting a better coach.
                            Good perspective

Comment

• People seem to think that just by hiring a new coach, the team will play even better. Coaching isn't just x's and o's. DC's contract getting extended is basically MU saying he likes what he saw and wants to build on it this coming season. Think about it, guys like derozan and amir has been through thick and thin with the raptors. They just finished the best season of their careers with a coach they trust, believe in, and want to play hard for. Think about how much impact that would have if they just let DC go.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                                A lot of Wiz fans on they're forums are saying he's a bust, But im sure nobody is gonna trade a former 3rd overall pick in just one season.
                                Thomas Robinson was the 5th pick and traded in his rookie season so it's not unheard of. But that was from Sacramento so I don't think it really counts.

I really don't see us trading into the top of this draft though. I mean, how many top picks have been traded in recent times before/at the draft? The Pelicans traded Noel last draft and the Wizards traded the 5th pick in 2009, that's it. With front offices getting smarter now knowing rookie deals are easily the best deals in the NBA it would take a gargantuan effort to get into the top of the draft, especially this year, and I just don't see this happening.

Comment

Working...
                                X