No announcement yet.

2014 off-season Compendium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you look at Ross value from before the season to after the season, his value went up a shit ton. His regular season post Rudy Gay was really damn good, plus the 50 point explosion. Sure, he had a rough playoffs, but I don't think there is any question Ross is worth more now than he was before the season started. His 2nd year was way way better than his 1st year.

Comment

What we need are tough dudes who can play and fit into our mentality and culture of what we're trying to do. Our Assistant GM Veltman used to work in the Bucks organization. Why not try to target 2 of the toughest hombres on their team - Ilyasova and Pachulia?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
        What we need are tough dudes who can play and fit into our mentality and culture of what we're trying to do. Our Assistant GM Veltman used to work in the Bucks organization. Why not try to target 2 of the toughest hombres on their team - Ilyasova and Pachulia?

Getting either of those guys will fuck up our 2015 cap space, especially if we resign Lowry. Unless Milwaukee wants to take on some of our shit contracts (Hayes, Fields, Novak), then maybe it's worth it. But we'd probably be giving them picks, which makes me question it.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
          SF will be addressed in the draft. It's absolutely loaded with SF's. Everyone always forgets about the draft. We should get a starting caliber talent at pick 20. Lets not waste precious cap space on some mediocre SF like Aminu. Give Vince a cheap 2 year deal to back up the position, and let Ross or the 2014 pick start.

Also, just look at the Atlantic. If we brought back the same exact team I'd have us as favorites to win the division. A few minor tweaks and a new coach and we should easily take the division. The real FA signings will happen in 2015 when we actually have cap space and the FA class is much better.
          A healthy Brooklyn team should be the favorite, I would think. Lopez returning from injury makes KG completely expendable. They're still a deep, deep team.

I also expect NY to be more competitive, if 'Melo returns and Chandler is healthy. Obviously all bets are off if either/both don't happen!

Boston and Philly could both look completely different come next season, so I wouldn't rule them out either. Philly could easily be scary good within a couple seasons, as long as they are smart/successful with their draft picks and free agent spending.

---

I definitely agree with the last part, regarding the 2015 & 2016 offseasons being the real moment for MU to make big changes to the Raptors' roster.

Comment

Hayes and Fields will be gone after next season, as will Marcus Camby's contract, so they'll be gone in time for the 2015 summer bonanza. I probably wouldn't want to take on Pachulia's contract. It's pretty bad, but if we can somehow pry Ilyasova away without giving up much (maybe for Salmons, Hansbrough's contracts and a future 2nd or two), I'd be very happy. I just figured that they would insist that we take on Pachulia's contract to get Ilyasova, which upon further review, I would not

Comment

BKN - DWill and Lopez will never work. Paul Pierce and Livingston are FA. AK and Blatch are also FA too.

NYK - no roster and cap space.Will be bad for a while

CHI - should be good. Rose will be back and they will pick up shooters in the draft. May get Melo Should challenge Top 2

Wiz - Also good

Cleveland - wasn't as bad as their record.

76er - rebuilding, will look like the Bucks lots of potential

Bos - Not good. Rondo will be traded will be lottery

Orl - Still bad.

CHA - playoff team but not very scary

ATL - Horford back should be top 4.

Heat,Indy - Still Top 2

Toronto is rebuilding and should still challenge Top 4 conference

Top 2. - CHI,INDY,HEAT

Top 4 - ATL,WIZ,TOR

Lottery - BOS,NYK,ORL,76ers,ORL

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                Sorry, but your post was full of blatant bullshit lies. Do you remember Rob Babcock? That's why Vince quit on the team. We had the worst GM in NBA history running the show. He did such a horrendous job he was fired shortly thereafter. It's much easier to see things from Vince's side in hindsight. He was on a team going nowhere with the worst GM ever at the helm.
                Primer drank the kool-aid.

If you missed out on your cup don't worry too much, TSN and Sportsnet are going to come around to hand out a second round.

Comment

I'd like to see Vince back in Raptors uniform. I've seen a bunch of posts attacking Vince's character based on some poor decisions he made as a 27 year old. A great example of how people change is that when Vince Carter told John Thompson that he quit on the team, I threw my Vince Carter jersey on the floor, whipped 'it' out and urinated on it.

10 years later, I can see that Vince is making quality plays, can still score at will, and is a great role model and professional playing for the Dallas Mavericks. Similarly, 10 years later I no longer make it a habit of peeing on things that I'm angry at them. In fact I am very much against this sort of practice of peeing on jerseys.

So you see, people can change.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    Not sure the deadline to pick up Salmons' team option for 2014-15, likely very close to the draft.
                    June 28th is the date in question. 2 Days after the draft

So I say we take on a larger contract for the cost of a rookie scale deal or a late first/early second pick. Get some value out of that beauty of a contract.

Comment

I really don't have any interest in signing 37 year old Vince to a contract that's going to end up being a bit pricey because he had a good year in Dallas this year. I really respect what he's developed into there and enjoyed watching the Mavs on League Pass all season, but honestly - I'm not interested in the sentimental motivation for bringing him back, or the marketing motivation, or even the basketball motivation as I'd wager he just had his last best year and he's about to be a bit overpaid. And he's 37. There are vets, and then there's employing 38-40 year olds for several million dollars a year. There will be better options.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                        June 28th is the date in question. 2 Days after the draft

So I say we take on a larger contract for the cost of a rookie scale deal or a late first/early second pick. Get some value out of that beauty of a contract.
                        June 30th, actually.

Until that date, for the cost of a $1M cap hit, the Raptors can absorb in salary:

1) $8.85M from any luxury tax team (125% + $100k)

2) $10.6M from any team not in luxury tax (150% + $100k)
                        Not the way it works. Whether the opposing team is in tax or not has nothing to do with what the Raps can absorb. So long as the Raps stay away from the tax apron (they should...), they can absorb 150% + 100k. So, 10.6M.

3) About $20M ($62.3M *estimated new salary cap* MINUS $46M in guaranteed money *$39M + Salmons $1M plus + Hansbrough $1M + Amir $5M PLUS value of Salmons contract) HOWEVER this has to be done before any extension, signing of free agent, pick up of any option, etc. i.e. first thing on July 10th.
                        Also doesn't work like that. If we want any chance at re-signing Lowry or Vasquez or Patterson, their cap holds will be on the cap preventing any sort of salary absorption trades.

If you want to go one step further, $2M cap hit (Hansbrough and Salmons) lets Raps absorb:

1) $12.75M

2) $15.3M

3) over $20M

For teams looking to shed money to become free agent players or get out of luxury tax before or after fielding a roster, that might look attractive!
                        Same logic as above applies.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                          June 30th, actually.

Not the way it works. Whether the opposing team is in tax or not has nothing to do with what the Raps can absorb. So long as the Raps stay away from the tax apron (they should...), they can absorb 150% + 100k. So, 10.6M.

Also doesn't work like that. If we want any chance at re-signing Lowry or Vasquez or Patterson, their cap holds will be on the cap preventing any sort of salary absorption trades.

Same logic as above applies.
                          My wording was wrong on values. Point remains that is how much raps can take back.

As for the cap holds, they only matter with free agents. When it comes to trades only matters what guaranteed money is on books.

I'll be glad to be proven wrong and will check coon when I get home.

Comment

My wording was wrong on values. Point remains that is how much raps can take back.

As for the cap holds, they only matter with free agents. When it comes to trades only matters what guaranteed money is on books.

I'll be glad to be proven wrong and will check coon when I get home.
                            I'll accept that your wording was in error, just so long as we're clear that what you said is not true at all. The 8.85M value that you quoted, for example, is not a restriction on the Raps. They will not be a tax apron team, so they get the 150%.

Your second point is definitely wrong.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                              I don't think Ujiri is gunning to make major moves this offseason. It'll be next offseason when Hayes, Fields, Camby and Amir's contracts come off the books is when we'll make some noise.

Will that give us $14 million in Salary Cap ?

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                                Will that give us $14 million in Salary Cap ?
                                Hayes is around 6 million, Fields is about 8.5, Camby a bit over 4 and Amir is around 7 million for a grand total of 25.5 million.

Google is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X