No announcement yet.

Stats guy gives John Salmons an award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For reference, John Salmons took 296 FGA in 1281 minutes played with the raptors. That's 1 shot every 4.35 minutes. With a TS% of 47.2%, which is bad, but with his strong 3 pt performance, he at least stretched the floor.

Terrence Ross took 751 FGA in 2159 minutes played. That's 1 shot every 2.87 minutes. With a TS% of 55.3%.

So TRoss was jacking up WAY more shots than John Salmons, but was more efficient. Their 3 pt % are almost identical though.

So obviously, you'd prefer to see TRoss shoot since we're developing him, but John Salmons is not a chucker, stretches the floor and offers passable defense with more size than Ross. For a backup, that's half decent.

For further reference, in his rookie year, when Landry knew how to shoot, and was actually coveted as a 3 and D player, he shot nearly the same percentage as John Salmons did from 3 this year.
    Last edited by stooley; Fri May 9, 2014, 08:30 PM.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
      For reference, John Salmons took 296 FGA in 1281 minutes played with the raptors. That's 1 shot every 4.35 minutes. With a TS% of 47.2%, which is bad, but with his strong 3 pt performance, he at least stretched the floor.

Terrence Ross took 751 FGA in 2159 minutes played. That's 1 shot every 2.87 minutes. With a TS% of 55.3%.

So TRoss was jacking up WAY more shots than John Salmons, but was more efficient. Their 3 pt % are almost identical though.

So obviously, you'd prefer to see TRoss shoot since we're developing him, but John Salmons is not a chucker, stretches the floor and offers passable defense with more size than Ross. For a backup, that's half decent.

For further reference, in his rookie year, when Landry knew how to shoot, and was actually coveted as a 3 and D player, he shot nearly the same percentage as John Salmons did from 3 this year.
      I love how you're defending the guy who just won the "worst shooter of the year" award. Pick your battles man....

Comment

Kindergarten stats winner. Salmons shot badly and got worse as the year went on, but his crappy .472 TS% with the Raps was better than Fields .443. Tayshaun Prince .438. Also lower than Salmons .472 - Rondo, Josh Smith, Garnett.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
          There's more to offense than shooting.

Exactly. The offense still flows when the ball goes into Fields' hands. And he's great at getting open under the basket.

Salmons doesn't do anything. He's a waste of space on the court. And to say that he's a veteran is a joke too. Being a volume shooter your whole career doesn't amount to any useful experience. So glad this guy will be gone next year.
          Salmons had a higher Assit% than Fields and a lower Turnover %
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
            must be offseason if cats are arguing about John Salmons vs Landry Fields in reference to an Anti-MVP award
            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
              Fields got basically 0 minutes so his stats are pointless. Use your eyes and watch games. Salmons was awful, like beyond awful.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                Fields got basically 0 minutes so his stats are pointless. Use your eyes and watch games. Salmons was awful, like beyond awful.
                Salmons was honestly the worst player I have seen seen wear the Toronto jersey and get big minutes
                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                  Salmons was honestly the worst player I have seen seen wear the Toronto jersey and get big minutes
                  Bargnani?
                  The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                    OP also didn't mention that Steve Novak won the Matt Bullard award for a player 6'10" or taller with the fewest Rebounds.
                    Lol... Look at his shot chart. He should win an award for least baskets in the paint per minutes played.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by rapfan10; Sat May 10, 2014, 11:47 AM.

Comment

rapfan10 wrote: View Post
                      Lol... Look at his shot chart. He should win an award for least baskets in the paint per minutes played.

Wait, he got one shot in the paint? When did that happen?

Comment

RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
                        Wait, he got one shot in the paint? When did that happen?
                        I think it may be this one:

(Skip to about 2:19)
                        http://youtu.be/6zwZ3E7F-88

Comment

rapfan10 wrote: View Post
                          I think it may be this one:

(Skip to about 2:19)
                          http://youtu.be/6zwZ3E7F-88

Wow, that was actually some really great hustle and effort.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                            Except that's not what advanced stats say. If you only look at the negatives in a player, you often will only see the negatives in a player.

RPM says he was bad, but there were 11 SF's that had more minutes/game with worse overall numbers, including board favourites Jeff Green and Harrison Barnes.

He was a terrible shooter, and painful; to watch at times, but he really didn't jack up as many shots as some say he did, he just bricked too many of the ones he did put up, especially painful because most of his bricks were wide open looks.

He didn't turn the ball over much because his ball handling was OK, He was a smart defender, not a good defender, but only slightly below average compared to other SF's.

He's gone for sure and I'm glad about that, it just pisses me off when people make up shit about our players to make them seem worse than they were.
                            Last edited by 3inthekeon; Sat May 10, 2014, 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I was just thinking about a former raptor: sonny seems

Anybody want this guy? We could probably get him on a minimum??

Comment

John Salmons truly was the Brick-ness monster lurking around the court this year, he definitely put his heart & soul into earning this award! His go to move was the pump fake with no defenders around before letting his defender close in and launching up another dud or airball.

Comment

Working...
                                X