Vasquez says that KD will come to Toronto to win championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    Well, if you want to operate over the cap, it means we have to get him via trade or sign-and-trade, and then it can get really pricey in terms of assets. I'd think the starting point for a conversation with OKC would be DD, our 1st, our 1st 2016, NYK's 1st 2016, plus Salmons' effective expiring contract. Which I would be on board with. But some might not be, especially considering the risk he walks in 2016. It's even more dicey if you wait for a sign-and-trade, because then you have to hope you can both persuade Durant to sign here AND OKC to participate in the sign-and-trade.

The key to running up high payrolls is to get your superstar on board first, then via raises, extensions, rookie scale guys becoming non-rookie scale guys, and mid-level signings, you pump up that salary over the course of a few years. Putting together a superstar team is not a tax paying situation. Keeping it together is (note that MIA did not pay tax in the first year of the big 3 - but they have ever since).
    I love your knowledge here.

Thanks Dan. My feeling is that if he is even considering it, the players will talk, Masai will know as well.... so they can work it..... if they could find a way to keep DD i'd like it better, but ross intrigues me at times..... I mean hell, is there a way to put DD's offseason efforts into T-Ross???? ha I'd be on board with that.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
      depending upon the pieces Toronto can keep.... KD will likely look hard at coming here. Not for friends, or for anything other than Toronto has a blossuming STAR center, 2 guard and pg. A serviceable 4 in PP and AJ, and he would be the 3.....with Ross as a 6.

thats fucking killer if you base it off the growth charts every player has been exhibiting.
      useless without a good bench. the wizards and blazers have filled theirs and its been showing. we still haven't, and have only one single playoff berth with a 1st round exit. why would KD be attracted to that?

we *really* lucked out with the chemistry of this team after the gay trade since no one expected anything of the sort to happen. i can't see that happening again when by 2016 we'll be filled with some rookie new blood that may be serviceable but hardly contenders by the time KD becomes a FA.
      Last edited by iblastoff; Thu May 15, 2014, 11:27 AM.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
        useless without a good bench. the wizards and blazers have filled theirs and its been showing. we still haven't, and have only one single playoff berth with a 1st round exit. why would KD be attracted to that?
        the wizards are in cap trouble this offseason though.

Gortat and Ariza are FAs, they don't have a draft pick, Beal's gonna need an extension in 2016, Andre Miller won't be around by then. Nene's body will be broken...

As young and exciting as their back court is, their team isn't sustainable as currently built.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
          the wizards are in cap trouble this offseason though.

Gortat and Ariza are FAs, they don't have a draft pick, Beal's gonna need an extension in 2016, Andre Miller won't be around by then. Nene's body will be broken...

As young and exciting as their back court is, their team isn't sustainable as currently built.
          meh same thing could be said about us. amir has been broken all season, by 2016 he'll probably be dead. he'll also be FA after next season. same with vasquez, patterson and pretty much our entire bench. we don't even know if lowry is coming back yet, and derozan could easily leave with his player option as well.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
            He'd be attracted for a number of reasons. Eventually a superstar will want to take on the challenge of being the guy for the Raptors. The fan base has the NBA talking, ownership and management are changing the goals and expectations of all of the teams and by all accounts they are putting their money where their mouth is. A superstar like KD would bring the major networks to Toronto for most of the games so he'd still have the exposure he wants. KD would have an entire country supporting him. Internationally the Raptors are actually quite popular and believe it or not Drake has had a lot to do with that. Guys like KD make a shit ton of money on overseas deals so with the Raptors looking to expand their brand globally it brings the opportunity for very lucrative endorsement deals.

Case and point for the Drake bringing attention globally. There was over 1billion Internet searches over a 3 day period for 'drake and raptors' when the Raptors announced drake as the global ambassador and the all star game in Toronto.
            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
            Because its 2015

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
              Speaking of Reggie Jackson.....I really really really wish we could offer something to get that guy. I would honestly be willing to let Lowry walk *gasp*.... Would LOVE to have that guy on the Raptors. Maybe if we can get Reggie Jackson, that could convince KD to come here in 2016?... GV could be the backup
              Jackson over Lowry? what? You're crazy
              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Lets assume you need $21M to offer a max contract to Durant in 2016 and the salary cap is just shy of $70M.

Which core would you rather?

A)

Lowry
                DeRozan
                Ross
                JV
                2014 pick
                2015 pick
                2016 pick
                2016 pick

B)

Lowry
                Greasy
                Ross
                PP
                Amir
                JV
                2014 pick
                2015 pick
                2016 pick
                2016 pick

(picks are all assumed to be in the 15-20 range and about $6M in total salary)

The difference is DeRozan is in A) and not in B) while the $14M cap hold for DD in A) is spread over PP, Greasy, and Amir.

So I guess the hypothetical question is: would you rather DD or PP, GV, and Amir?

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  Lets assume you need $21M to offer a max contract to Durant in 2016 and the salary cap is just shy of $70M.

A)

Lowry
                  DeRozan
                  Ross
                  JV
                  2014 pick
                  2015 pick
                  2016 pick
                  2016 pick

B)

Lowry
                  Greasy
                  Ross
                  PP
                  Amir
                  JV
                  2014 pick
                  2015 pick
                  2016 pick
                  2016 pick

The difference is DeRozan is in A) and not in B) while the $14M cap hold for DD in A) is spread over PP, Greasy, and Amir.

So I guess the hypothetical question is: would you rather DD or PP, GV, and Amir?
                  B makes the unrealistic assumption that Lowry would stay if DeRozan is traded.

And even with that unrealistic assumption, I'll take A. Players like Vasquez, PP and Amir are more replaceable than DeRozan and if we draft properly we should have 7 or 8 rotation players anyway.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

A)

Lowry
                    DeRozan
                    Ross
                    JV
                    2014 pick
                    2015 pick
                    2016 pick
                    2016 pick

B)

Lowry
                    Greasy
                    Ross
                    PP
                    Amir
                    JV
                    2014 pick
                    2015 pick
                    2016 pick
                    2016 pick

I'm not sure exactly how these salaries are working, but if possible, I prefer C)

Lowry
                    DD
                    Ross
                    PP
                    Val
                    One of 2014,2015,2016,2016 pick (if three of them need to sacrificed in order to keep Patman).

Tough, smart, 3pt shooting big men are almost impossible to find.

The thing no one mentions about Vasquez is that he just isn't a great fit for the roster when you have Lowry, DD and Ross already. I think they should resign him just to keep him as an asset, but longterm, I don't think it's ideal to have him as part of your core if Lowry is the main PG.
                    Last edited by JimiCliff; Thu May 15, 2014, 01:25 PM.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                      B makes the unrealistic assumption that Lowry would stay if DeRozan is traded.

And even with that unrealistic assumption, I'll take A. Players like Vasquez, PP and Amir are more replaceable than DeRozan and if we draft properly we should have 7 or 8 rotation players anyway.
                      Your credibility is taking a serious beating when you're stating opinions as facts. You nor I have a clue what Lowry is thinking. Maybe he recognizes he'll be the man? Jv will get more involvement? More pick and roll? More drive and kick? I'm fine with your opinion until you push it as fact.

As for your comments on PP, GV, and Amir, the whole point of getting a max free agent is to win. Tough to sell that with a shell of a roster lacking depth. You throw KD in to lineup B and you are 7 deep of proven nba talent.

Comment

• Do I have to be the one to say it?

Neither roster A nor B is looking too attractive to KD at this point in time.
                        "Bruno?
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                          Your credibility is taking a serious beating when you're stating opinions as facts. You nor I have a clue what Lowry is thinking. Maybe he recognizes he'll be the man? Jv will get more involvement? More pick and roll? More drive and kick? I'm fine with your opinion until you push it as fact.

As for your comments on PP, GV, and Amir, the whole point of getting a max free agent is to win. Tough to sell that with a shell of a roster lacking depth. You throw KD in to lineup B and you are 7 deep of proven nba talent.
                          Lmao. So when we trade DeRozan for a draft pick, the whole "proven talent" narrative goes out the window. But we can't draft competent rotation players with first round picks?

Talk about a double standard. You have zero credibility in this post and your whole argument.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                            Do I have to be the one to say it?

Well you're screwed then because roster A and B are the only options available ever and nothing will convince me otherwise. So, you must chose between a b or no KD. Got it, bud?! !!
                            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                            Because its 2015

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                              Do I have to be the one to say it?

Yeah, I agree.

And since Leiweke is a man who likes to swing for the fences...

...why don't we add Kevin Love to the mix! If he was around, our chances of getting Durant would skyrocket, I think.

Could one of the salary cap guys here throw out a scenario where having both Love and Durant on the roster is a possibility? I'm assuming that this means one of Lowry/DD would have to be gone, but is there not a way that one of them could stay (ideally, for me, Lowry)?
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                                Well you're screwed then because roster A and B are the only options available ever and nothing will convince me otherwise. So, you must chose between a b or no KD. Got it, bud?! !!
                                Ok, I can't tell exactly what tone that was said in, but whatever.

I think any narrative of KD coming to the raptors hinges on a few things:

- how good is JV in 2 years?
                                - how good is ross in 2 years?
                                - did MU whiff or nail the majority of those picks?
                                - does DD improve his range so as to better be able to play without the ball in his hands?

at that point im not sure KLow factors into the decision THAT much, he'll be on the tail end of his career, will be who he is (hopefully) and his contribution will come more in the form of helping us be a winning team over the next couple of years

any DD trade would have to be assessed individually, and that assessment (in terms of attracting KD) hinges on all those things to such a degree that this conversation will never be resolved

with all that being said, trading DD this summer is a bad move considering the KL situation. we either wait until next year or not at all.
                                "Bruno?
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X